Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

These ‘Player Used Pen’ cards are......something.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
The Clemens was recently pulled by Jaspy’s HobbyLand from a case of 2018 Topps Tier One.

IMG_2515.JPG

The Trout is currently on eBay.

IMG_2516.JPG

I’ve never seen these before, but there’s also a Nolan Ryan on eBay from 2017 Topps Tier One.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This is the third year they've done them, IIRC. I can't decide if I like them or not. It sounds like a dumb idea, but on the other hand, I would prefer them over most other forms of "player used" material.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I think they are cool, but when they first came out, i wasn't sure what to think.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like them. Here's mine:

maeda_010_zpsttatb12g.jpg

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
We are getting closer and closer to the game used syringe card. :)

........and if that happens I might actually know a card to try to outbid [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] on . . . .

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
This is the first I've seen/heard of them. I'm not sure if I like them or not, but I do have to give Topps credit for thinking outside the box.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
We are getting closer and closer to the game used syringe card. :)

........and if that happens I might actually know a card to try to outbid [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] on . . . .

LOL! I've already made a custom with a pill mashed up in it, so we are close :D

Jul 12, 2017
As strange as these are and completely gimmicky, I really like these a lot. In the current days of plain grey swatches it is nice to see some more unique relics being made by card companies. The (unfortunately logoless) Panini Immaculate relics are awesome! Cleats, gloves, etc... it brings back memories of the Tools Of The Trade releases. I would drop a cool 1K for a card like this of Cutch if it was ever made and signed.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They are something, all right. My vote is for something stupid. To each their own though, so as long as there is a market for them, they will be made. Plain bat and jersey swatches have become boring, like any idea that is driven into the ground, but I don't think we need to reach as far as pieces of pens. I imagine the typical player wears several jerseys in a season, and who is to say it couldn't be many if they really needed a supply of game used articles. This could produce enough buttons, patches, tags and such to make a nice variety of more interesting cards

I still think the single button cards that Donruss did in the early 2000s were some of the best GU cards ever. Bat Barrels (name plates) come in a very close 2nd and only lose out because you only get 1 or 2 per bat, but then again, it's feasible for many bats to be used in a season. Probably enough to eventually make barrels boring too, if they wanted to do it.

Members online

Latest posts