Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red Sox designate Hanley for assignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I was stunned when I read it...I kinda like it. I was not a Hanley fan. I think Moreland full time at first and JD at DH is just fine. His salary and general demeanor, from what I could see, won't be missed

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Agreed, he was on his way to meet those guidelines.

It does make me wonder though why that is much of a concern financially, unless they are going after a big free agent to be ............... Machado?

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/mlb/bos/

They already have the highest payroll in baseball...and a very crowded (and lower cost) infield. Hard for me to image they make a real run at Machado. Unless they find a way to off load Price to free up some real $... :)

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
They already have the highest payroll in baseball...and a very crowded (and lower cost) infield. Hard for me to image they make a real run at Machado. Unless they find a way to off load Price to free up some real $... :)

Hanley is a good chunk of that payroll and they have quite a bit of money coming free in a couple years. They could be players in the FA market for Machado or Harper. Machado makes more sense.

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Through 4 seasons with the Red Sox Hanley Ramirez was worth just 1.3 WAR and paid nearly $88 million for that level of performance (a little less cuz that includes his entire salary for 2018). His 2016 season was a good one, as he put up a 2.8 WAR but he had negative WAR seasons in 2015, 2017 & 0.1 WAR this year. Apparently his defense was atrocious. He had a better dWAR in 2017 when he was mostly a designated hitter, it's that bad. I've never seen it myself so I can't speak to why it's rated so poorly. His offensive WAR was likely rated poorly because his OBP was not up to ***** (except in 2016). It also indicates he was a terrible base runner. Went from an elite base runner with Florida, to an average one with Los Angels, to piss poor with Boston but as they say, speed is the first thing to go. Injuries don't help either.

Still, I'm sure an AL team in need of a DH (or possibly an NL team that doesn't put much value in defense) with some pop in his bat will be quick to pick him up.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Through 4 seasons with the Red Sox Hanley Ramirez was worth just 1.3 WAR and paid nearly $88 million for that level of performance (a little less cuz that includes his entire salary for 2018). His 2016 season was a good one, as he put up a 2.8 WAR but he had negative WAR seasons in 2015, 2017 & 0.1 WAR this year. Apparently his defense was atrocious. He had a better dWAR in 2017 when he was mostly a designated hitter, it's that bad. I've never seen it myself so I can't speak to why it's rated so poorly. His offensive WAR was likely rated poorly because his OBP was not up to ***** (except in 2016). It also indicates he was a terrible base runner. Went from an elite base runner with Florida, to an average one with Los Angels, to piss poor with Boston but as they say, speed is the first thing to go. Injuries don't help either.

Still, I'm sure an AL team in need of a DH (or possibly an NL team that doesn't put much value in defense) with some pop in his bat will be quick to pick him up.

He was absolutely laughable in left field with the Sox. Even Manny at least learned to play the Monster during his time there. Hanley was never a great defensive shortstop but it is astonishing to me that someone able to play an average, or just a shade below, defensive shortstop at the big league level has been so abysmal as a defensive 1B.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't worry about the money they spend because why would I, but to me the salary dump makes sense, forget the big names.on the market, they have a lot of young guys they need to put extensions on before they hit free agency themselves.

Members online

Latest posts