Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Minor League Daily Thread - 5/31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Today's notables include:

Mitch Keller*
Ryan Castellani*
Kyle Funkhouser*
Alex Faedo
Roniel Raudes*
Marcos Diplan
Jorge Guzman
Kyle Young*
Mike Baumann vs. Daniel Tillo
Jalen Beeks*
Adonis Medina
Anthony Banda*
Bryse Wilson*
Max Povse vs. Jesus Luzardo*
Dakota Hudson*
Logan Allen*
Foster Griffin*
Spencer Adams*
Cionel Perez*
Pedro Avila
Chris Flexen*

Matchup of the Day
Franklyn Kilome vs. Dillon Tate*

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Alex Reyes goes back on the DL. Strained lat. :(

[MENTION=3127]Super Mario[/MENTION]

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Well that's great...

However, on the bright side (for me) this means Flaherty should definitely continue to get starts. I know C-Mart is out too, just not sure how long for. Flaherty needs to take this time to continue proving he deserves to be a starter in their rotation for the remainder of the year. Personally I think he already has.

Last edited:

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Well that's great...

However, on the bright side (for me) this means Flaherty should definitely continue to get starts. I know C-Mart is out too, just not sure how long for. Flaherty needs to take this time to continue proving he deserves to be a starter in their rotation for the remainder of the year. Personally I think he already has.

Flaherty is in the rotation for good unless they limit innings which they shouldn't. He threw right at 170 last year across all three levels so the gloves should be off I'd think.

Waino isn't coming back as a starter at this point. I hope he makes it back and somehow closes out a World Series then drives off into the sunset to eat Pappy's BBQ and count his millions in retirement.

Martinez (once he gets back next week hopefully), Wacha, Mickolas, Flaherty, Weaver is pretty well set in stone. With the lat strain and the bullpen issues the Cards have I'm not going to be shocked to see Reyes turned loose as a bullpen weapon if he can get and stay healthy the rest of the year.

Now if Matheny would just get his head out of his ass with the lineup the Cards might be okay.

Carpenter - 1B (2B against lefties with Wong on the bench)
Pham - CF
Bader - RF
Ozuna - LF
Gyorko - 3B
Wong - 2B (Martinez at 1B against lefties)
Munoz - SS
Kelly - C (Once Yadi is back then bump him up to 6th and drop Wong and Munoz down till DeJong is back)

There is a lot of flexibility to the roster but Matheny can't even do that right. He's playing a guy with a bad arm and little range at 3B (Carp) and a Gold Glove level 3B (Gyorko) at 2B just to get Jose Martinez's bat in the lineup at the cost of lowering defense at 3 positions.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Flaherty is in the rotation for good unless they limit innings which they shouldn't. He threw right at 170 last year across all three levels so the gloves should be off I'd think.

Waino isn't coming back as a starter at this point. I hope he makes it back and somehow closes out a World Series then drives off into the sunset to eat Pappy's BBQ and count his millions in retirement.

Martinez (once he gets back next week hopefully), Wacha, Mickolas, Flaherty, Weaver is pretty well set in stone. With the lat strain and the bullpen issues the Cards have I'm not going to be shocked to see Reyes turned loose as a bullpen weapon if he can get and stay healthy the rest of the year.

Now if Matheny would just get his head out of his ass with the lineup the Cards might be okay.

Carpenter - 1B (2B against lefties with Wong on the bench)
Pham - CF
Bader - RF
Ozuna - LF
Gyorko - 3B
Wong - 2B (Martinez at 1B against lefties)
Munoz - SS
Kelly - C (Once Yadi is back then bump him up to 6th and drop Wong and Munoz down till DeJong is back)

There is a lot of flexibility to the roster but Matheny can't even do that right. He's playing a guy with a bad arm and little range at 3B (Carp) and a Gold Glove level 3B (Gyorko) at 2B just to get Jose Martinez's bat in the lineup at the cost of lowering defense at 3 positions.

This is a relief to hear from an actual Cardinals fan who watches the games. I keep reading these mlb.com articles (well, only 2 articles actually) talking about the uncertainty of Flaherty's spot in the rotation once Reyes & C-Mart return and how Matheny is saying "he has nothing more to prove, it's just a question we'll have to ask when the others return".

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Eloy Jimenez HR (10)

[MENTION=12878]death2redemptions[/MENTION]

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Kyle Young's line - 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 6 K

Jorge Guzman's line - 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 2 K

J.B. Woodman HR (4)

Jaypers