Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My rankings of the Dick Perez Donruss puzzle designs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
As most of you know, Donruss issued puzzle pieces of HOFers in packs from 1982-92 featuring artwork from Dick Perez. I put them all together the past few months while costing me about $60. I count 16 different puzzles in all and some years had multiple ones. Rod Carew had two different versions for some odd reason. Anyways, here's my rankings...

1. Hank Aaron
2. Ted Williams
3. Willie Stargell
4. Roberto Clemente
5. Carl Yastrzemski
6. Mickey Mantle
7. Stan Musial
8. Yogi Berra (Foil)
9. Harmon Killebrew (Foil)
10. Rod Carew (Black & White)
11. Rod Carew (Color)
12. Duke Snider
13. Ty Cobb
14. Warren Spahn
15. Lou Gehrig
16. Babe Ruth

And that's my opinion...

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Was glad to see these rankings. The preview was a little sketchy.

...yet I still clicked it

72EA893E-2D03-4F9F-91B3-C06CDA970056.jpeg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Could you show us pictures of your puzzles please?
Otherwise, a list ranking them doesn't mean much if we don't know or remember what they look like.
Then we can rank them too and have a discussion and compare.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
As most of you know, Donruss issued puzzle pieces of HOFers in packs from 1982-92 featuring artwork from Dick Perez. I put them all together the past few months while costing me about $60. I count 16 different puzzles in all and some years had multiple ones. Rod Carew had two different versions for some odd reason. Anyways, here's my rankings...

1. Hank Aaron
2. Ted Williams
3. Willie Stargell
4. Roberto Clemente
5. Carl Yastrzemski
6. Mickey Mantle
7. Stan Musial
8. Yogi Berra (Foil)
9. Harmon Killebrew (Foil)
10. Rod Carew (Black & White)
11. Rod Carew (Color)
12. Duke Snider
13. Ty Cobb
14. Warren Spahn
15. Lou Gehrig
16. Babe Ruth

And that's my opinion...

I like the action shot (so to speak) of Williams swing at the bottom so it's my favorite. As my list reflects I'm not a fan of the posed looking images (Spahn, Yaz, etc.) but the inset of Cobb sliding into Jimmy Austin moved that one way up the list for me.

1. Ted Williams (1984 Issue)
2. Stan Musial
3. Babe Ruth
4. Harmon Killebrew
5. Roberto Clemente
6. Duke Snider
7. Willie Stargell
8. Ty Cobb
9. Ted Williams - (2002 Donruss Originals, Not on your list)
10. Lou Gehrig
11. Hank Aaron
12. Warren Spahn
13. Carl Yastrzemski
14. Yogi Berra
15. Mickey Mantle
16. Rod Carew Black & White
17. Rod Carew Color

1981 Greatest Moments - I've never seen this one or even any of the pieces for it. If it actually exists though it's way too busy and would be at the bottom of my list.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I didn't think people could even give most of those away. Which one set you back the most? I must have multiples of complete puzzles for most of those issues and probably several hundred partial puzzle pieces buried somewhere.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Most of the ones from later years I bought in lots. Like 6 different puzzles for $10. The early ones from 1982-85 tend to be the most expensive and cost a few bucks minimum. The Ted Williams from 1984 is considered the scarcest and I paid $8 for that one. I also spent $7 for the B&W Carew, but it was the last one I needed so I overpaid a bit.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Congrats on putting them all together, any project finished is a good thing. I will always remember getting those pieces and asking my dad who some of these old guys were, it's what first interested me in the history of baseball, the puzzles don't have much eye appeal to me, but they will always remind me of my dad.

Members online