Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do oversized/untrimmed cards get into circulation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I'm a player collector and have bought probably 20-30 different oversized Barry Larkin cards from multiple seller son ebay over the past year. Mostly common cards from the 90s and early 00s. A couple are panel cards with 1-2 other player cards attached. What are the common ways these cards exist and get into the market? I know some sets from the early 90s could be purchased on an entire sheet of 50-100 players all attached so it would make sense that someone could cut one of those sheets up. But I've never seen sheets of cards from the last 90s or 00s. I'm just curious as to how they end up on the market since they obviously didn't come in packs of cards.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Two ways I know of that oversizes have or could have been released:

1) If it's a multiplayer panel from the junk wax area, they could have been cut out from the bottom of wax boxes (select Topps and Fleer wax boxes had this). I know I have a few around that I cut off a wax box before I threw the rest of the empty box away.

2) larger sized packs - I'm trying to remember what Topps product it was (Big?), but they were larger format cards and were released in wax packs that were larger sized that your normal sized trading card. 1989 Bowman was the same way with their longer than standard cards and both of the products I mentioned or am thinking of are a PITA to store because of needing larger sized storage boxes.

I would like to know how Topps postcards circa 1980 were released. I remember buying the set of those from a local card show once and I'm not sure if they were a mail-in purchase item, released in huge postcard sized packs/boxes or what the story was.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Are you talking about the stuff Leximo sells on ebay? That's mostly printer's scrap, stuff pulled out of Dumpsters, sneaked out the back door, that sort of thing.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The OP is talking about cards that otherwise look like the normal issue but are slightly larger than the pack pulled or factory set size of 2.5 x 3.5. Both of your examples are for regular issued cards. I can't think of an example where a box bottom card is not different in some way (numbering or card stock, to where you'd not be able to tell it was not a regular issue card.

I wondered about those a long time ago when I first started noticing them being sold. I assumed it was some sort of printer scrap, but if you cut one card larger than normal, you lose at least 2 and up to 8 other cards if the card is surrounded completely by others on a sheet. Stars would be the most common pick to do this for, but I suppose there are commons as well. For example, I have an oversized Gary Wayne Stadium Club FDI card.

Two ways I know of that oversizes have or could have been released:

1) If it's a multiplayer panel from the junk wax area, they could have been cut out from the bottom of wax boxes (select Topps and Fleer wax boxes had this). I know I have a few around that I cut off a wax box before I threw the rest of the empty box away.

2) larger sized packs - I'm trying to remember what Topps product it was (Big?), but they were larger format cards and were released in wax packs that were larger sized that your normal sized trading card. 1989 Bowman was the same way with their longer than standard cards and both of the products I mentioned or am thinking of are a PITA to store because of needing larger sized storage boxes.

I would like to know how Topps postcards circa 1980 were released. I remember buying the set of those from a local card show once and I'm not sure if they were a mail-in purchase item, released in huge postcard sized packs/boxes or what the story was.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i have this one same as regular size one front and back just bigger.

JaORcNu.jpg

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I have bought some stuff from Leximo on ebay and from a couple other sellers. The uncut sheets comment makes sense.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
With that Bernie sample, it's amazing they can be that much larger without seeing the meeting line of its next door neighbor card in the waste area that normally gets trimmed away in the manufacturing process of cutting the card sheets into singles.

Members online