Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Exit Interview: I'm Retiring from Collecting Canseco and Selling Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Good luck and I’m glad you have control over your decision. As an outside observer, I feel like this moment was inevitable. Liberation!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Seems to hit it right on the head here. I have had a roller coaster ride collecting, mostly since I discovered the ability to trade and buy online. Prior to that, collecting was fairly simple as I was either a minor with limited access to extra dollars or was out for a short period when collecting really was not possible on a regular basis (pre-internet military service). Once I was an adult and had unlimited access to just about anything, I racked up a lot of debt buying anything and everything on credit and finally had to shut it down to avoid a financial catastrophe. I recovered from that episode, but have continued to collect. I do stray, as I have a pretty wide interest in general, but try to focus on what I enjoy the most and although I still spend a pretty fair amount of money, I have a much better job and I keep my spending within check.

I have thought a lot about ending my collecting, mostly because my kids do not have an interest and I am getting older. However, I know that I would miss it too much to stop at this time. Cards are a stress reliever for me that distracts me from the daily grind. I believe that knowing I can't get it all and accepting that has helped a lot. It doesn't hurt that most of my collecting interests can be obtained for less than most hardcore prospectors spend on can't miss players that won't turn out to be anything or overpaying for hyped superstars who have nowhere but down to go.

Everything in moderation is the way to health and happiness. So many people in this hobby and on this board have suddenly burned out because of their obsession. There are so many more importaint in life, but it doesn't mean you have to leave cold turkey. Just simplify your hobby.

Good luck Tanner, but I would also predict that you'll miss it, and based on what I have heard from you about your past, you'll miss it too much to stop cold turkey and you'll likely be back for another round. I would also suggest storing the collection (assuming you do not need money from it immediately), taking a break and coming back to it in a period of time. You can always sell it off later.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I always suggest IP and TTM autograph collecting to everyone, because it doesn't cost a fortune and you will enjoy checking your mail more!!!!

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Thank you so much guys! Again, I'll re-iterate: If anyone at all has any thoughts their collecting becoming and addiction, hit me up. I'd love to tell you what has been going on on this side of the fence. It is livable and there is less anxiety :)

Not sure if we’ve ever interacted but I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts.

I haven’t collected in two years, in part because I was addicted. I was ditching time with my family to mess with cards. Hell, one time while out to dinner I lied to my girlfriend and said I had to use the restroom....because I had to set a snipe for a baseball card. I was throwing away vacation money busting wax for a rush. I never cared about having the “best” collection, but being a completist and having OCD made me spend money like it was a competition. Idk if you’ve ever done drugs, but the longer you do them the shorter and less intense the high is, which usually leads consuming more in an attempt to match how it used to make you feel. That’s how I started feeling with maildays especially. I used to get a $500 card and be satisfied for the next month. I’d stare at it, display it, etc...eventually that feeling started lasting for five minutes. I’d look at it, put it in a box, then start scouring eBay trying to find my next “hit.”

That’s when I knew it was no longer fun. Idk if you can be “addicted” to cards per se, but I was exhibiting clinical symptoms of addiction. When it starts affecting human relationships and your mental health it’s time to call it quits. I’ve also quit drinking, smoking cigs, and Adderall since then.

I’ve been going through my cards looking for stuff to sell...I was kinda hoping the magic would come back. So far it hasn’t. Whatever emotional attachment I had to cards seems like it’s gone. I’ll probably keep my Marlins collection since it’s from my childhood (and also probably worthless), still torn on my Stanton’s though. Do Yankees fans even like him? Sure I’ll lose a ton if I sell.

I really wish I could get back into cards, just scared if I do I’ll go right back to my old habits.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

I haven’t collected in two years, in part because I was addicted. I was ditching time with my family to mess with cards. Hell, one time while out to dinner I lied to my girlfriend and said I had to use the restroom....because I had to set a snipe for a baseball card. I was throwing away vacation money busting wax for a rush. I never cared about having the “best” collection, but being a completist and having OCD made me spend money like it was a competition. Idk if you’ve ever done drugs, but the longer you do them the shorter and less intense the high is, which usually leads consuming more in an attempt to match how it used to make you feel. That’s how I started feeling with maildays especially. I used to get a $500 card and be satisfied for the next month. I’d stare at it, display it, etc...eventually that feeling started lasting for five minutes. I’d look at it, put it in a box, then start scouring eBay trying to find my next “hit.”

That’s when I knew it was no longer fun. Idk if you can be “addicted” to cards per se, but I was exhibiting clinical symptoms of addiction. When it starts affecting human relationships and your mental health it’s time to call it quits. I’ve also quit drinking, smoking cigs, and Adderall since then.

I’ve been going through my cards looking for stuff to sell...I was kinda hoping the magic would come back. So far it hasn’t. Whatever emotional attachment I had to cards seems like it’s gone. I’ll probably keep my Marlins collection since it’s from my childhood (and also probably worthless), still torn on my Stanton’s though. Do Yankees fans even like him? Sure I’ll lose a ton if I sell.

I really wish I could get back into cards, just scared if I do I’ll go right back to my old habits.

I have bought and sold my collection several times in the 40+ years I have collected and about ten years ago I sold off everything again, mainly because I realized my twenty-something year old children had no interest in whatever stuff I had. I lied to myself that the collection was for the kids and faced with the reality that they will not want it I decided to sell everything. Now I am still in the hobby but collecting only those things that mean anything to me which is the Topps sets I had when I was a child and a few other items that have caught my eye.

Turning your back on something like cards, drugs, smoking even overeating is not easy but it is the right thing to do as those addictions certainly are taking you away from those things that should be more important. I commend anyone who has been able to walk away from their addictions and live a great life. It was surprisingly easy for me to walk away from trying to collect everything and now, it seems I enjoy this hobby far more than I ever have. Sometimes less really is more!!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012

Very well said! I definitely think it is something to be thankful for - not feeling the spark again. I'm sure many of us have felt the same things you have ... I know I have and can connect with that on so many levels.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It seemed like you were taking things a little too extreme these past two years. I'm not surprised by the burnout. Everything in moderation. I've come dangerously close to taking things too far as well, before scaling things back. Every collector needs to know that you can't have everything, and you'll be happier if you narrow your collection's focus instead of broadening it. Good luck as you transition to new projects - be they family, travel, hobbies, etc. You have talent, passion and creativity and those qualities can be applied in so many directions. Find happiness, and keep God and Family first!

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Thanks - as always - Tanner, for sharing. Wish you the best going forth. Will miss your update posts, but glad you're happy with your decision - this is more shocking "decision" news than LeBron to the Lakers!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thank you guys! To say the first 24 hours after "going public" with the information has been a whirlwind. I ended up spending from Saturday evening all the way until late last night, fielding questions and taking orders.

Here is one of my favorite requests: ThoseBackPages wrote me saying he wanted to purchase my 1986 Donruss Highlights PSA 10, but on one condition. I had to sign it directly on the case. On the front. In green. Here it is!

Untitled-3.jpg

Topps sketch artist Mike James reached out saying the following, which I got a kick out of:

DhGs73mVQAYixrB.jpg

Out of all the hundreds of people that reached out to me over various platforms, it has been really positive and I've loved it. It is truly amazing at how many people are struggling with this "cardboard addiction" thing though. I am truly floored.

I have a LOT of work ahead of me today. Lots of things to pack up. It will be bittersweet. Bitter because I'm having to ship them out, but sweet because it'll be fun digging them out and enjoying them one last time.

While there are a large volume of pieces I need to pack up today, it was really only a drop in the bucket. I have TONS more to go! If I can get everything wrapped up before mail gets here, I'll take a pic of the packages just to further document the journey. Documenting is good therapy for me. Breathe, Tanner. Breathe.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thanks Clint! :)

Okay, here is the wrap up of today ...

So, this was a herculean undertaking and not even a drop in the bucket. This is insanity. Here is what a "reverse mailday" looks like. Believe me ... NOT NEARLY as fun as a real mailday!

20180702_163846.jpg

A lot of most excellent cards were picked up, many of which were a big deal to me when I was just starting to get into it. I've gotta say, it is super fun getting some of these cards out into other people's collections!

The heart breaker of the day is seeing this go:

Untitled-4.jpg

So long, my first bat barrel - you will be missed! *sniffle

So, a few cool things that I learned about today:

- 3 people wrote blogs about this already
- I did a video interview with Radicards which should be going live at some point.
- A Houston area news anchor reached out to me asking me to tell him when the book is launched because he'd like to do a story on me!

While all day was FILLED with pulling cards, shipping, etc. and has been exhausting, I have to say - it has been truly good! I'm thankful :)

On my way to the post office!

20180702_164237.jpg

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
As a recovering drug addict I can sorta relate....although when I quit I didn't sell my leftover drugs on e-bay.......mostly just at the local playgrounds, parks and elementary schools.

I kid, I kid of course! There's no such thing as "leftover" drugs when you're an addict ;)

Seriously though, I think I do understand your reasons for selling off your collection. When you're first recovering from drugs one of the first things they tell you to do is to avoid triggers (persons, places, things that remind you of using and trigger cravings). For me that included things like prescription bottles, alcoholic beverages & paraphernalia so all that had to go as soon as I got out of rehab. I suppose living in a house made of Jose Canseco cards just wasn't the best environment to be in for a recovering Canseco cardboard addict. It would have been like me moving into a crackhouse the day after leaving rehab....it just wouldn't work.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
As a recovering drug addict I can sorta relate....although when I quit I didn't sell my leftover drugs on e-bay.......mostly just at the local playgrounds, parks and elementary schools.

I kid, I kid of course! There's no such thing as "leftover" drugs when you're an addict ;)

Seriously though, I think I do understand your reasons for selling off your collection. When you're first recovering from drugs one of the first things they tell you to do is to avoid triggers (persons, places, things that remind you of using and trigger cravings). For me that included things like prescription bottles, alcoholic beverages & paraphernalia so all that had to go as soon as I got out of rehab. I suppose living in a house made of Jose Canseco cards just wasn't the best environment to be in for a recovering Canseco cardboard addict. It would have been like me moving into a crackhouse the day after leaving rehab....it just wouldn't work.

LOL!!!!

So I will say this - I don't have any desire to go back to collecting Canseco again, so I'm not sure necessarily what to make of it. I could have a stack of 1/1s in front of me that I've never had before, and I wouldn't think that I'd have the urge to dive back in again. I'm not sure what all that says about this whole thing, but with that said, I DO want to sell everything sooner than later, just to close this chapter in my life.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
LOL!!!!

So I will say this - I don't have any desire to go back to collecting Canseco again, so I'm not sure necessarily what to make of it. I could have a stack of 1/1s in front of me that I've never had before, and I wouldn't think that I'd have the urge to dive back in again. I'm not sure what all that says about this whole thing, but with that said, I DO want to sell everything sooner than later, just to close this chapter in my life.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Probably nice to have a little extra cash in your pocket too, right? Not that it's a determining factor or anything.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Gotcha, that makes sense. Probably nice to have a little extra cash in your pocket too, right? Not that it's a determining factor or anything.

I'll admit, it is fun to see more money come into my account! It is a completely 180 from if I decided to pickup the other super collection. My mindset is completely different now.

Members online