Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Max Muncy - A collecting throwback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
I’ve had a great time this season following Muncy and the Dodgers, getting to see him play 6 times now too.

What fascinates me most is that this is, I think, the first time in many years (or at least post-mlb rc logo era) where a breakout player has just one rookie card, a flagship topps, at that.

Those of you who prospected in the 90s probably recall a list of guys who had hot streaks but just one (or two, Shane Spencer, for example) RC issued. I might say that pre 1992 Bowman would be the beginning of the lone RC trend, as many guys had their lone RCs in that set. Nowadays, between the multitude of bowman/chrome products issued featuring autographed RCs of some of the unlikeliest major leaguer hopefuls, this could be end up being a major modern hobby aberration if he continues his play and leads them to the playoffs/World Series.

I may be forgetting someone, so let me know if this situation has happened recently. Curious why he doesn’t seems to have a whole lot of hobby interest so far.

(And FTR, I do realize he has a bunch of unlicensed, airbrushed draft pick stuff to choose from)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Curious why he doesn’t seems to have a whole lot of hobby interest so far.
He turns 28 next month, so the prospectors don't care anymore.
And he has a .195 lifetime average with 5 homers before this season, so most people see his brief success as a fluke.

He has been fun to watch though. And he did have an excellent season in the minors about five years ago (25 homers, 100+ rbi) so he may be the real deal.

Jan 14, 2009
He turns 28 next month, so the prospectors don't care anymore.
And he has a .195 lifetime average with 5 homers before this season, so most people see his brief success as a fluke.

He has been fun to watch though. And he did have an excellent season in the minors about five years ago (25 homers, 100+ rbi) so he may be the real deal.

Absolutely understand the age thing, just figured maybe being a dodger might offset t some. Mostly I’m just a amazed that the guy is producing like this and has just one card (excluding parallels) and doesn’t appear to be on any upcoming checklists. Practically unheard of these days, really.

Members online