Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Thread: Michael Stepper did you finally hit the big one?

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Stepper did you finally hit the big one?

Several of us had been watching this card for quite awhile and I notice that it sold this morning..
    @michaelstepper did you hit the lottery?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	michael.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	81004

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wish! beautiful card, I wonder if it actually sold or it was marked as such. NO way in my opinion it sells for anywhere near that.
    If I ever hit it my friends at FCB are getting a huge giveaway.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone used their EBAY Bucks!

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I think of all the really nice Ruth autographs out there, that price astonishes me!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This irritates me. They took a relic (the baseball) with an iconic signature on it and cut it up to glue a piece into a cheap-looking card. Stupid! That would be like cutting up the Wright Brothers' first plane so that they could put pieces of it in packs of cards. Destroy an iconic piece of memorabilia so that someone can boast that they have a small fragment. It's blasphemous toward everything that memorabilia collecting stands for. Why not cut up the Bowman Ohtani 1/1 superfractor auto so that more than 1 person could have a piece of it? Or the PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle?
    It's sad because this can't be undone.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    This irritates me. They took a relic (the baseball) with an iconic signature on it and cut it up to glue a piece into a cheap-looking card. Stupid! That would be like cutting up the Wright Brothers' first plane so that they could put pieces of it in packs of cards. Destroy an iconic piece of memorabilia so that someone can boast that they have a small fragment. It's blasphemous toward everything that memorabilia collecting stands for. Why not cut up the Bowman Ohtani 1/1 superfractor auto so that more than 1 person could have a piece of it? Or the PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle?
    It's not like he only signed 1 baseball in his career.. So it's not like shredding an Othani 1/1 Superfractor..

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the sentiment, but with a Babe Ruth baseball, it doesn’t have any specific historical significance other than the signature, and there are thousands and thousands of Babe Ruth signed baseballs out there. I am sure this one came from a ball that had other signatures on it and was not in particularly good shape.

For me, this is much less egregious than cutting up a rare game used item

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    bad to say there's supposedly a Ty Cobb 1/1 , mantle amd dimaggio out there too?
    first year for these as well, go big.
    following years had more mantle, DiMaggio and Ted Williams.
    Ruth doesn't appear again until 2007 immortal as a 1/1 as well as gehrig!
    Last edited by michaelstepper; 07-03-2018 at 06:39 PM.

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and it's been re-listed.. the $3 shipping is a deal breaker.
    Look at this on eBay
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362375145194
    Last edited by michaelstepper; 07-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really a big deal to me. Your comparison to the Wright Brothers first plane being cut into pieces and put into packs of cards only makes sense if the ball itself had any sort of major significance. Like if it was the ball he connected with for his first major league hit or home run. Or to a lesser degree, if it were simply a ball that was tied to a specific ball game in which he played. Otherwise, it's just a random item (piece of paper, a child's t-shirt, a ladies undergarments) signed by Ruth that was made into a card.

However, while it may not bother me I do understand why even something like that (random item he signed made into a cut auto card) angers people. I just don't think the comparison to the Wright Brothers first plane works because in that specific case it was the plane itself that has significance while with a random ball signed by Ruth, it's only the signature that is significant. Also, there are tens of thousands of random items signed by Babe Ruth but there is only one (obviously) "first built" plane by the Wright Brothers.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff