Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Michael Stepper did you finally hit the big one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Several of us had been watching this card for quite awhile and I notice that it sold this morning..
[MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION] did you hit the lottery?

michael.JPG

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I wish! beautiful card, I wonder if it actually sold or it was marked as such. NO way in my opinion it sells for anywhere near that.
If I ever hit it my friends at FCB are getting a huge giveaway.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
This irritates me. They took a relic (the baseball) with an iconic signature on it and cut it up to glue a piece into a cheap-looking card. Stupid! That would be like cutting up the Wright Brothers' first plane so that they could put pieces of it in packs of cards. Destroy an iconic piece of memorabilia so that someone can boast that they have a small fragment. It's blasphemous toward everything that memorabilia collecting stands for. Why not cut up the Bowman Ohtani 1/1 superfractor auto so that more than 1 person could have a piece of it? Or the PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle?
It's sad because this can't be undone.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
This irritates me. They took a relic (the baseball) with an iconic signature on it and cut it up to glue a piece into a cheap-looking card. Stupid! That would be like cutting up the Wright Brothers' first plane so that they could put pieces of it in packs of cards. Destroy an iconic piece of memorabilia so that someone can boast that they have a small fragment. It's blasphemous toward everything that memorabilia collecting stands for. Why not cut up the Bowman Ohtani 1/1 superfractor auto so that more than 1 person could have a piece of it? Or the PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle?

It's not like he only signed 1 baseball in his career.. So it's not like shredding an Othani 1/1 Superfractor..

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

I understand the sentiment, but with a Babe Ruth baseball, it doesn’t have any specific historical significance other than the signature, and there are thousands and thousands of Babe Ruth signed baseballs out there. I am sure this one came from a ball that had other signatures on it and was not in particularly good shape.

For me, this is much less egregious than cutting up a rare game used item

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
bad to say there's supposedly a Ty Cobb 1/1 , mantle amd dimaggio out there too?
first year for these as well, go big.
following years had more mantle, DiMaggio and Ted Williams.
Ruth doesn't appear again until 2007 immortal as a 1/1 as well as gehrig!

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Not really a big deal to me. Your comparison to the Wright Brothers first plane being cut into pieces and put into packs of cards only makes sense if the ball itself had any sort of major significance. Like if it was the ball he connected with for his first major league hit or home run. Or to a lesser degree, if it were simply a ball that was tied to a specific ball game in which he played. Otherwise, it's just a random item (piece of paper, a child's t-shirt, a ladies undergarments) signed by Ruth that was made into a card.

However, while it may not bother me I do understand why even something like that (random item he signed made into a cut auto card) angers people. I just don't think the comparison to the Wright Brothers first plane works because in that specific case it was the plane itself that has significance while with a random ball signed by Ruth, it's only the signature that is significant. Also, there are tens of thousands of random items signed by Babe Ruth but there is only one (obviously) "first built" plane by the Wright Brothers.

Members online