Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tips for sending a card to PSA for grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Hello folks! As some of you know I’ve been a collector for a long time (25 years or so). However, I’ve never sent a card off for grading.

One of my prized baseball card possessions is my 2011 Topps Update #175 Mike Trout RC. As the card continues to rise in value I’ve made the decision to get it graded. I want to go through PSA. For those with experience with the grading process, what’s the simplest (and safest) way to send it off?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I've only ever graded one card in my life so I can't answer your question but every time someone mentions that 2011 Topps Update Trout card I get real sad cuz I busted so many cases of that product when it was released and literally had stacks of that Trout RC. When I rediscovered that I had them a couple years later I sold them off for $25 each. And now.... $300-$400 each for a base card!?!

I even had 2-5 each of the gold parallels, cognacs & diamond anniversary parallels.

I don't know which was worse...selling off all these Trout cards too early or the Kershaw superfractor? Sorry for the derailment, I'll put my dunce cap back on and move to the corner of the room now....

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I've only ever graded one card in my life so I can't answer your question but every time someone mentions that 2011 Topps Update Trout card I get real sad cuz I busted so many cases of that product when it was released and literally had stacks of that Trout RC. When I rediscovered that I had them a couple years later I sold them off for $25 each. And now.... $300-$400 each for a base card!?!

I even had 2-5 each of the gold parallels, cognacs & diamond anniversary parallels.

I don't know which was worse...selling off all these Trout cards too early or the Kershaw superfractor? Sorry for the derailment, I'll put my dunce cap back on and move to the corner of the room now....
Worst. Prospector. Ever.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Just wondering...do they send your Card Savers back to you with the slabbed card?

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
If there is just one card send it in a card Saver 1, wrap it in bubble wrap ,and mail in a 300-400 count baseball storage box as shown below. Make sure its snug. You can also snug it between two thick pieces of cardboard and send in a USPS small flat rate box. I prefer the card storage boxes for 10 cards or less because they are stronger than the USPS recycled small flat rate boxes.

My opinion of course
Do you put each card in a penny sleeve and THEN the Card Saver?

wthalin

Feb 28, 2018
Concord, CA
Do we have anyone on the forum that works for PSA? I feel like being a grader would be a pretty sweet gig.

Just think about it. Getting a whole bunch of mail days of the nicest cards around. Granted you don’t get to keep them, but seems like it would be pretty intriguing to hold babe Ruth cuts even if it’s just for a short time.

Sorry for another hijack haha.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
One card per card saver. The idea is to get them there in the best condition possible, with some sort of protection. Why would you jam all the cards into one holder? The card saver is then cut off (you do not get it back, nor would you want it). They prefer Card Saver I because they are large and have more room to cut around the card.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
The card saver is then cut off (you do not get it back, nor would you want it). They prefer Card Saver I because they are large and have more room to cut around the card.
It never once occurred to me that they cut the card saver to get the card out of it!

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks for the advice guys.

And yeah, the 2011 Trout is a crazy card. I busted quite a lot of retail Update and thankfully kept all my RCs. I came away with 3 Altuves and the 1 Trout.

It hurts to read that post death2redemptions!

Members online

Latest posts