Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps extends exclusive deal with MLB thru 2025...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Topps just announced their exclusive deal with MLB is going to run now through 2025.

Personally, NOT a fan of exclusive contracts for any league, but given Donruss/Panini's quality products lately, definitely not in baseball.

Limited releases? Sure. More low end stuff? Definitely. But exclusives in all four sports? No thanks.

https://www.topps.com/blog/the-topp...ball-extend-exclusive-trading-card-agreement/

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I know everyone likes to hate Panini but competition brings out quality. I was hoping both would get licensed and the entire marketplace would get a better quality product.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Damnit. What a terrible decision by MLB. Damnit.

One of the best parts of having a player collection is thumbing through cards from years ago and looking at what the different manufacturers were doing, the ideas they had, the designs they came up with, and interesting stories behind different sets. Now? Just a glut of Topps, Topps, Topps, Topps, Topps, and more freaking Topps. And many of which are indistinguishable from each other. Oh yeah and some unlicensed Panini (which are occasionally cool).

Thanks for nothing MLB.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Ugh. Well, it's a good thing I don't buy new crap from them, minus Living Set. Then again, maybe I'll stop that, too.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Man, it just seems like such a good idea to issue licenses to, like, 3-4 companies, and let them do, like, 8-10 products a year, each?

Maybe the argument is that "product" is harder and harder to define (Topps' online releases are getting harder to define/numerate, for example), and it would be bad to stifle creativity and innovation. But if saturation is the issue, fewer products across multiple companies seems a solid solution.

Oh well.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Bowman chrome is all dat matters anyway

Prizm > Bowman Chrome

Prizm just needs logos to have any hobby love. I like Prizm's etching effects which I think Chrome ditched years ago for whatever reason.

Kudos to Wax Heaven for breaking the news, albeit unwanted by collectors, on the renewal of the exclusive.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Prizm > Bowman Chrome

Prizm just needs logos to have any hobby love. I like Prizm's etching effects which I think Chrome ditched years ago for whatever reason.

Kudos to Wax Heaven for breaking the news, albeit unwanted by collectors, on the renewal of the exclusive.
We ain't talking basketball here

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
We ain't talking basketball here

I guess you are right, People put up with that boring Chrome crap because it's the only metal with logos in baseball. Might as well cut out a baseball picture from SI. glue stick it to a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" metal plate.

Prizm - more exciting - same photo on metal thing but then it looks like you spilled some nasty acid on it to give it edge enhancements and other effects.

If only Topps would return edge enhancements to their boring Chrome.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I guess you are right, People put up with that boring Chrome crap because it's the only metal with logos in baseball. Might as well cut out a baseball picture from SI. glue stick it to a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" metal plate.

Prizm - more exciting - same photo on metal thing but then it looks like you spilled some nasty acid on it to give it edge enhancements and other effects.

I dunno if it's logos or just that Bowman has been established as THE card but prizm vs Bowman prices aren't close. I personally like EEE more than either but I already know the ROI isn't the same.

Basketball is nuts because THE card is an unnumbered, non auto card. I'm not sure what caused it but I've learned a silver prizm is king

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Scartchy18

May 21, 2013
Maybe they got a bigger $ deal from Topps alone than they would have from Panini, Upper Deck, Donruss.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio

I miss when Topps wasn't lazy and almost every card had detailed etching on their Chrome/Finest brands. Even the creases in the jerseys had etching, giving it that popping effect with refractors. But hey, as long as there's logos, people will buy this crap and Topps will keep churning it out.