Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Card Sale Regrets..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
So I was looking on my portable hard drive for a pic of a card and came across this one that I sold back in August 31, 2011..

for a whopping $59.99

trout.jpg

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Noooooooo
b595ad3e4d383c77cfa97220f0b76d44.gif

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'll make you feel better.

Sold s Trout Sterling for $17. Got $19 for Brad Hand from the same pack.

And it was from a FREE pack.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Sold my Trout blue refractor for $4k. It was resold for $18k

Sold my Gretzky SGC 8.5 for $2,500. It was crossed to a PSA 9 and resold for $25k

Can’t get much worse than losing out on $36,500 on two cards

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Sold a Trout blue ref 9.5 for around 5K. I don’t regret it though as it seemed like the right move at the time and it’s impossible to predict this stuff perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Pulled directly from case & sold for $1,800 in January 2007

Not all my Albies were included in that scan (In total I had 4 base autos, 6 refractor autos, 2 purple, 2 blue & 1 green) but basically I sold the base autos for $40-$45, refractor autos for $60-$70, purple refractor autos for $80, blue & green refractors for $120. At those sales I quadrupled what I originally paid for them but considering the value quadrupled what I sold them at a few months later (base autos reached 150-200 & blues were going for 600+) I lost out on a lot of potential money.

I also had well over 30 Mike Trout 2011 Topps Update rookie cards including a handful of gold, diamond & cognac parallels that were pulled from cases in which I sold the base for somewhere around $20+ each and can't remember the exact figures I sold the parallels for. All of these were sold in 2013.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There are just as many, if not more, "Why didn't I sell when..." regrets I would imagine. Especially since "collecting" cards has become a stock market type mentality for so many. Too easy to look back and see the exact moment you either failed to buy or sell the right cards and the right prices.

I have never sold singles of new product/prospects so I can't relate directly, but I have somewhat similar stories that involve buying certain card issues, but not hitting the big pull. The two biggest that come to mind are:

Bought an unknown number of packs (maybe a box worth or so) of Topps Hockey in 1979 hoping to get a Gordie Howe final card. Never got one. Years later, I find out that it was Gretzky's rookie card issue. Of course, no Gretzky tucked away with those forgotten Hockey cards.

Same exact situation in 1986 when I bought some Fleer Basketball just before graduating and heading off to the service. I heard some of my shipmates talking about basketball cards and how much those Fleer cards had become worth. When I got back home, I dug out the Fleer cards and had Barkley, Ewing, Malone, etc and a few Jordan stickers, but no Jordan RC!

No regrets other than in hindsight, wishing I had bought a lot more of each product. The reality was I didn't have a lot of extra money in either case and bought what I could (or until I found more baseball cards instead).

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Many of mine are 2011 Topps Update related. I sold about 10 base Trouts on COMC right when he first got hot for about $6 each. Also had (I think) two Trout Diamonds and a Cognac parallel, got less than $125 total for all three. Oh, and the 15 Altuves I sold on Sportlots for 18¢ each, after that card exploded and I forgot I had a whole bunch of them listed.

A while back I mentioned the Chrome Purple Acuna auto I got $130 for, the going rate then, which is now close to $900 ungraded.

ctmike

Oct 9, 2009
Connecticut
I try not to speak of it, but it keeps coming back to me. I sold a Trout Bowman Chrome Refractor Autograph for around $80 in December of the year I pulled it. Pretty sure it was the year before he made his debut. I had no idea who he was and listed it with a starting bid of $5. I was surprised as hell that I got $80 for it. With all the freaking duds I had and still have why did I have to list the Trout. Ugh. I also sold around 10 of his Topps Update Rookies for around $15 each. I had one extra that I sold last year, and it went for $200.

Last edited:

KPLER

Aug 9, 2013
Dude, You still dont have a job?

I told you about the food stamps and stuff about 2 months ago. I hope you a least got that going. I see some of your dumb sales too. SMH. Well maybe you should apply at subway or something cause by your own admission your card trading sucks. P.M. me if you need more answer and help. Thats what im here for.