Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prospect hype

The Land Of Always Baseball....Sunny Florida
     bossshark2001
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm showing my age here but Clint Hurdle....he was a Sports Illustrated cover boy back in the 70's......

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxPax View Post
    I'm showing my age here but Clint Hurdle....he was a Sports Illustrated cover boy back in the 70's......
    Showing your age? Barry's answer is Ty Cobb

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i seem to recall reading a few articles in my younger days that touted brad komminsk as becoming the "next hank aaron" for the braves...
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shaq. There was a local radio show called Sportscard Talk hosted by Randy Cook and I remember him talking everyday about this kid drafted by Orlando.

That was a fun talk show...he'd often broadcast on location at different card shops around town and have "pack wars" with the shop owners and customers.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the first two players I ever prospected were Pat Combs and Stanley Jefferson.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fernando Valenzuela, Tim Raines & Joe Charboneau

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd Van Poppel!

bigrsports
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got back into collecting in '87 after buying wax packs as a kid which eventually were thrown out. My 1st purchase was an '87 Topps McGwire and it all took off from there. 1st real prospect investment: Gregg Jefferies, Donruss and Fleer..Ughh! He's a free VIP signer at the National if anyone wants one...
    1st real Bowman prospects I started ganging up on were Andruw Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Nomar Garciaparra and Scott Rolen. Aaand I bought a ton of Todd Greene because he was really cheap which was the 1st of countless "prospecting" mistakes I would go on to regret.

Anyone remember Travis Lee really becoming perhaps the 1st big "2nd Coming" of the early Bowman prospecting era? Mmmm, yea..
    Randy

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Shields View Post
    I got back into collecting in '87 after buying wax packs as a kid which eventually were thrown out. My 1st purchase was an '87 Topps McGwire and it all took off from there. 1st real prospect investment: Gregg Jefferies, Donruss and Fleer..Ughh! He's a free VIP signer at the National if anyone wants one...
    1st real Bowman prospects I started ganging up on were Andruw Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Nomar Garciaparra and Scott Rolen. Aaand I bought a ton of Todd Greene because he was really cheap which was the 1st of countless "prospecting" mistakes I would go on to regret.

Anyone remember Travis Lee really becoming perhaps the 1st big "2nd Coming" of the early Bowman prospecting era? Mmmm, yea..
    1997 Bowman Chrome was a monster. Travis Lee and Jose Cruz Jr. were the headliners, but it seems like every RC in that set brought serious coin. Calvin Pickering, Sidney Ponson, etc... Then Kerry Wood threw his 20K game, Fernando Tatis hit 2 Grand Slams in 1 inning, and it was impossible to touch.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    l1st real prospect investment: Gregg Jefferies, Donruss and Fleer..Ughh! He's a free VIP signer at the National if anyone wants one...
    Actually, I could use Jefferies on a Mets Card for my Mets collection, if you’d believe it

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering I lived in AZ during their inaugural season....of course I remember Travis Lee. There were life sized posters of him seemingly everywhere. He was perceived to be the second coming of Jesus Christ himself. The way he was talked about I do believe some folk thought he might actually be able to walk on water....it's just a shame he couldn't hit a baseball.

As for prospecting, I've been a baseball fan since 1994 (yeah, late bloomer) and have seen many prospects hyped like crazy, some who lived up to it but mostly those who didn't, however I never actually decided to invest in a prospect until the Braves empire fell apart in 2014 and I was forced to focus on the farm system cuz the major league team was going nowhere and would be staying there for some time. My very first attempt was Alex Wood...didn't pan out and my investment would remain worthless until he was traded to the Dodgers and put together a very strong first half as a starter & I actually made money. Albies was my next attempt at prospecting and I made out like a bandit with that one. Then I decided to expand my horizons and invest in players outside the Braves farm system. Since then I've made some good (Soto, Acuna) & some bad (Giolito, A.J. Reed...still holding) choices but have not yet had the dishonor to invest in a major bust like Travis Lee or LaPorta yet. I've only been doing this for four years so it's early, that big bust could be right around the corner. I have a lot of money in Eloy Jimenez so I'm hoping it ain't him.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary Thurman.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Actually, I could use Jefferies on a Mets Card for my Mets collection, if you’d believe it
    Jefferies signs for free through the mail at his home.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark McGwire when he played for team USA, but true prospect in the minors was Todd van Poppel.

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember in 1989-90 chasing guys like Eric Anthony, Greg Jefferies, and Delino Deshields. The first packs I bought were 1989 O-Pee-Chee, but my buddy spent his money on 1989 Donruss, trying to get the card that he said would be the next huge RC... Tom Gordon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast