Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

George Brett 1/1 Auto question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tb3nn3tt

Jul 23, 2018
Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I just recently got back into the hobby now that my son is old enough to enjoy it with me, and we're having a great time together - he loves jersey or bat cards and talking about each player that we pull.

Hometown Heroes is one of his favorite breaks (I think because the packs are so big) and just recently we pulled a 1/1 George Brett black border auto! I was pretty shocked, as we don't buy Hometown Heroes expecting anything of real value. He was very impressed when I explained what "1/1" meant and he proudly told his grandparents (and anyone else who would listen) "IT'S THE ONLY ONE THEY MADE!!".

Well it's been sitting on the shelf for a while now and yesterday I asked if he would rather keep it or if he would rather I sell it for him and then he could use the money to buy a box from the card store, and (after a bit of explaining) he said he'd like to pick a box.

I checked eBay and I see a pair of Brett autos (/7 and /5) that went between $150-$300, but no 1/1s. I know Hometown Heroes isn't a big name brand, but am I right in thinking that this could be something like a $300-$400 card?

I apologize if this isn't the right place for something like this - I'm not trying to sell the card on here, just get an idea for how to price it on eBay so I don't list it for something ridiculous!

Any help is much appreciated!
Tony

Epson_07232018125820.jpg
Epson_07232018125910.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Cool card, but Hometown Heroes goes on the low end of things. It being a Panini product, it's not MLB licensed so no Royals logos or trademarks used, and that's a turn off for some collectors. I personally would be happy to get $200. But maybe you get lucky and find the right buyer. You could list it at $300 or BO and see what happens.

tb3nn3tt

Jul 23, 2018
I kinda wondered if that was the case, which is why I didn't want to throw up a $400 BIN and look like a fool, haha.

Thanks for the input!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You can always put up a higher BIN price and accept offers. It's hard to judge what a 1/1 will go for unless you follow the player and their recent sales. Even then, anything can swing that result significantly one way or another, including a brand/card type, a key bidder being absent, a hastily listed BIN at a bad price, some crazy SOB who comes out of nowhere and nukes a bid with an insanely high bid and some other crazy SOB had a high snipe, etc.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Nice card. One thought, given how poor the odds are of pulling anything good on a box, you may want to consider how you kid would feel if you got a box and pulled nothing great. If this is a card that’s well beyond what he could spend otherwise, you may want to check if he’d want to buy a single of his favorite player or team. At $200-$300 he could pick up an autograph of basically anyone (Trout included) or multiple auto’s and jerseys of lesser players

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

tb3nn3tt

Jul 23, 2018
That actually occurred to me, as well! He's usually pretty good about it, even if we don't get anything great - he pretty much loves any jersey or bat card, just to touch the material... and it's even better if it's one of the players that he knows.

I talked to him a little about it today - he LOVES Aaron Judge, so I think he'd like to get a jersey or bat card of Judge and then use the rest to pick out a box at our local card store (he loves the thrill of opening... can't say that I don't!).

Good advice!

Members online

Latest posts