Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Night Crew * August 2018 * The Dog Days of Summer *

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Why is it that whenever I talk about my buttocks or frank & beans I end up on the weekly highlights?

Maybe it's because that's all I talk about, I dunno....

You do seem to have a skill of getting into the monthly letter... I wonder what people who don't post here anymore and read it think. :lol:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Everyone recovered from the National?

I think you might have been the only one here from NC who went.

I've never been to the Nat but when I go I will hold an elaborate "Thanks Topps" protest where I shall light myself* on fire. :p

*a monk shall replace me at last minute

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
The sports card gurus love Rosemont for some reason. It was nice in 2011 when we were there. Nice area and plenty to do. Not a bad ride on the subway or drive into the city. I am partial to Cleveland though.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
If you've never attended a National Convention, it is a MUST! You have to go and plan on being there multiple days. You can't take it all in with one day.

I am the pullout king of Ball State (TM) so I'm used to doing things with haste, but I shall take your word for it. :grouphug:

so......explain what all you do there? (if you don't have much $$$ to spend that is)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I am the pullout king of Ball State (TM) so I'm used to doing things with haste, but I shall take your word for it. :grouphug:

so......explain what all you do there? (if you don't have much $$$ to spend that is)

Well, thats a good question! I didn't have much money at all to spend this year but I ended up picking up a few cards that really made my time there worth it(in my opinion that is).

The National is as much of a museum as it is a card show. You will see things there that you haven't and probably won't see again. My goal this year was to just go around from table to table and look at everything I could. I also had a small trade box with me that I used to give me a little leverage in finding a few cards that I had on my mind. I walked the floor for a good hour or two just mapping out where some of the dealers were that might have what I wanted. Then I just went up and started talking to them. I pulled off a couple trades and sold a few things and then I went into negotiation mode. I ended up landing the stuff that I wanted. I did have a little bit to spend on wax so that I could participate in the Topps silver pack redemption program. I think I ended up doing VERY well with those packs I got. I ended up going back after that and just taking all the scenery in. Talked to a few dealers, watched a few group breakers do their thing, and visited the corporate booths to see all the promo stuff that was out there. I don't think I stepped into the Panini or Upper Deck booth at all as those were as crazy as the Topps booth.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Cool, if I were to want to trade 90s into another era like vintage maybe I would go to the Nat just to trade. Are the traders friendly?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
There were a few guys that didn't even bother speaking, presumably because I didn't have money in my hand to buy their shiiit. But almost all the dealers were nice and acknowledged me. It was very busy though and of course they were there to make money so I didn't try to bother them much.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Thats part of the fun of it too Sam. I saw Thosebackpages, Zan, and a couple other guys from the boards. I also hung out with Gilmore a little. Got to talk to Sooz, Brian Gray, and a few other familiar faces that I recognized. It was a fun trip.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
He was actually pretty low key. First time I've seen him since 2011 in Chicago. He was passing by and we exchanged hellos. Thats about it. They had a TON of Yadi stuff there. Even had a handiwipe bucket ready for ya and a private couch at one of the booths. I guess you could get much more comfortable with your Yadi cards......;)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Sam has just never liked BG. Period. I remember they used to get into it on the boards back in the day. I've never had a problem with Brian. But then again I haven't bought much of his product offering. I have bought Trinity and some Metal Draft, but thats about it. I usually try to steer away from those things.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I recall a big moment that a lot of us got off the Brian Grey bandwagon was when he went into Diglett conspiracy theories.

29-the-truth-behind-diglett-adult-humor.png

:lol: ok, that might not of happened.. its 50/50.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I recall a big moment that a lot of us got off the Brian Grey bandwagon was when he went into Diglett conspiracy theories.

View attachment 82187

:lol: ok, that might not of happened.. its 50/50.

LOL! Reminds me of the Pokemon Go ***** I saw on the internet a few days back. I think it was titled "Anny Aurora caught a rare Dickluxo"

This image is way funnier though. But if this is a diglett the I'm wondering what explains the evolved diglett form, "dugtrio"....particularly the Alolan form that has blonde hair at the tip :eek: