Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rick Ankiel returns to the mound....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
When he was doing the rounds for his book last year I heard a long interview with him on the radio. He seemed like he had come to some sort of peace with his problem, though you could sense he was still very frustrated about it. I hadn't really thought about him at all in years, and never had many of his cards, which I think I sold at his peak. That Ultimate Victory card was like gold. Anyway, This was neat to see. I wonder what was going through his head as the batter walked out of the box.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
When he was doing the rounds for his book last year I heard a long interview with him on the radio. He seemed like he had come to some sort of peace with his problem, though you could sense he was still very frustrated about it. I hadn't really thought about him at all in years, and never had many of his cards, which I think I sold at his peak. That Ultimate Victory card was like gold. Anyway, This was neat to see. I wonder what was going through his head as the batter walked out of the box.

I remember hearing him say, and maybe it was in his book, talking about how many teams have contacted him about pitching again, and him saying it took him so long to get over the ‘yips’ and make peace with everything inside of his head that he was afraid if he ever pitched again and it didn’t go well that it might screw him up again. So, when I saw this I was very surprised he did it.

I’m super happy he did though, and even happier it went well for him.

I was, and still am, a huge Ankiel fan. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him and he couldn’t have been more gracious and friendly to me and my daughter.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I met Ankiel a couple times in 2005 when his Springfield AA team visited the Midland Rockhounds when I lived in Texas. He was an outfielder then.

He was always super friendly and talked to everyone who acknowledged him and always signed autographs. I hope he beats the odds and makes a comeback.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah, he made the announcement on Fox Sports Midwest tonight before the Cardinals game.

One last chance for someone to get a slightly inflated price for their Ankiel collection! ;)

I'd have to think the Cardinals are going to be the team. Why would you waste your time going on a baseball diet and getting into baseball shape if noone is going to return your agent's call in the spring. I'm sure the Cardinals said yes to him privately for a minor league deal but are not ready yet to make a public statement.

Members online

Latest posts