Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Question for the Ripken guys... anyone have a 1997 Select Tools of the Trade Mirror Blue Ripken / Chipper Jones? Or know the print run / odds?

I recently got a gigantic Ripken collection in trade for some video games and I'm making my way through the inserts. I'm able to catalog and verify prices on them, but I can't find any of this one on eBay, either current or completed. I see tons of the "red" version (red sidebar), but this one has a blue sidebar and looks like a mirror.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
If you are talking about these, the blue one books for about $40 or so and are harder to find than the reds.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now, I might have overpaid a little bit but I now completed this one. YAY!
attachment.php

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Yeah that's the one, mirror blue tools of the trade. Didn't see it but I guess I wasn't looking close enough. What about a 1997 Fleer Ultra Fielder's Choice too? Haven't seen that on eBay and can't find much pricing info on it.

Also, for anyone who was paying attention, there was a 1998 Team Pinnacle Mirror Gold Ripken (/25) that ended last week around $500. Was watching it myself.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
It had a book value of $40 a while back. Don't know what it books now.
attachment.php

Yeah, I saw that listing but I lost interest after it went over $400. The most I've paid for any one card in my PC is $350 and not willing to go that deep at this time. Maybe one of these days but then again, maybe not.....

Last edited:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Link didn't work, I'm assuming Crusade Red? Yeah it was $4k when I saw it the other day (lol). I still need to pickup all of the Crusades at some point, but no way would I ever deal with that guy. And what's really odd, is that he will list it, pull it and list it again in a few days. He never leaves anything up to completion it seems.

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
I realize this mentality has shifted a bit in the past few years, but I've always felt an auto on card (that wasn't meant to be there) defaced it. So considering the card in question, it would break my heart to see that.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Can I get the opinions of some Ripken fans? Can you tell if this is authentic? In this condition, what would be a fair price to pay?

ripken.jpg

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
Can I get the opinions of some Ripken fans? Can you tell if this is authentic? In this condition, what would be a fair price to pay?

View attachment 38825

Looks to be legit based on the font of the words "Aqueous Test" and where the "T" in "Test" aligns with the 3B in the stat header. Also, there's no period after the INC for the copyright in the upper right corner. All signs of it being authentic.

At least one of the corners looks kind of soft from what I can tell from the scan along with a crease in the upper left going through the Donruss logo. Additionally, there's a crease across the top presumably from the cut. All things considered, however, I would think it should still fetch ~$200. If it were me, I'd probably look to spend no more than $175.

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013

View attachment 38825

I noticed that the eBay auction for this was ended early...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Donrus...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...did you end up purchasing it from the seller? If so, do you mind disclosing what price you agreed upon with the seller? If not, that's perfectly fine...it's just that it helps in tracking the market value of rare cards like this.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
That's the exact same card/picture. Didn't even know it was listed. Working a trade with a collector from another site involving a newer auto that I have. Still trying to determine an accurate trade value to assign to the Ripken. Any idea?

I noticed that the eBay auction for this was ended early...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Donruss-Cal-Ripken-Jr-Aqueous-Test-Card-RARE-/221515602856?category=0&nma=true&si=NNZrUpsyXDNQBhd9HPv4XRGoCRw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...did you end up purchasing it from the seller? If so, do you mind disclosing what price you agreed upon with the seller? If not, that's perfectly fine...it's just that it helps in tracking the market value of rare cards like this.

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
That's the exact same card/picture. Didn't even know it was listed. Working a trade with a collector from another site involving a newer auto that I have. Still trying to determine an accurate trade value to assign to the Ripken. Any idea?

I had replied originally that I thought the Aqueous card, considering the condition, was probably around a $200 value give or take a few $$. If it wasn't for the two major creases I'd definitely value it higher even ungraded/unauthenticated. I guess it depends on what you're looking to trade, however. As a collector, a rare test issue like the Aqueous (even roughed up a bit) I would likely value higher than most newer autos. But again, I don't know what you're offering from your side.

Keep us in the loop...as Ripken collectors, we would love to hear about what type of trade you work out.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Double post. Sorry

Edit: Might as well us the double post to show off another Ripken I have incoming... Also for trade/sale when it arrives

selectsamples.jpg

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I had replied originally that I thought the Aqueous card, considering the condition, was probably around a $200 value give or take a few $$. If it wasn't for the two major creases I'd definitely value it higher even ungraded/unauthenticated. I guess it depends on what you're looking to trade, however. As a collector, a rare test issue like the Aqueous (even roughed up a bit) I would likely value higher than most newer autos. But again, I don't know what you're offering from your side.

Keep us in the loop...as Ripken collectors, we would love to hear about what type of trade you work out.

Whoops! Didn't see your original response. Thanks for the info!

If you'd also like to chime in on a 1997 Pinnacle Cardfrontation Press Plate 1/1, I'd love to hear opinions on that. Would anyone be interested in trading for either? I collect higher end Griffey stuff.

Members online