Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
magicpapa said:
Jack Straw said:
Somebody got a rare Griffey card for cheap. I wish I had a few extra bucks this week :cry: Good luck finding another one. If anyone knows where there is one LMK.
[ebay:3c92t6hb]160359554464[/ebay:3c92t6hb]
?

A box with the Griffey card on top is rare. That is 1 in 180 boxes so whoever got it got a deal.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Hey fellas im thinking of collecting some Griffey!

Im sure i wont have the type of collections you guys have. But hey it looks fun!

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Jack Straw said:
magicpapa said:
[quote="Jack Straw":wij32igp]Somebody got a rare Griffey card for cheap. I wish I had a few extra bucks this week :cry: Good luck finding another one. If anyone knows where there is one LMK.
[ebay:wij32igp]160359554464[/ebay:wij32igp]
?

A box with the Griffey card on top is rare. That is 1 in 180 boxes so whoever got it got a deal.[/quote:wij32igp]

I like how the listing says that Bowman us n0 longer around. lol

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
I barely have the words for this addition. I am PSYCHED to get this box. I'm an 80's kid (born in 1980) and I remember this card and how HUGE it was back in the day. As a 9 year old it wasn't even a feasible thought to buy it.

Finally. Exactly 20 years later, the wait is over. I get to bust an entire box for only $80, searching for one of the original grails. Let's just hope I'm lucky enough to pull one. Wish me luck!

And yes, of course I could have bought one for $30, but honestly, where is the fun in that?

611e_1.jpg

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Snyper said:
I barely have the words for this addition. I am PSYCHED to get this box. I'm an 80's kid (born in 1980) and I remember this card and how HUGE it was back in the day. As a 9 year old it wasn't even a feasible thought to buy it.

Finally. Exactly 20 years later, the wait is over. I get to bust an entire box for only $80, searching for one of the original grails. Let's just hope I'm lucky enough to pull one. Wish me luck!

And yes, of course I could have bought one for $30, but honestly, where is the fun in that?

611e_1.jpg

good luck buddy

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
Daltonb1219 said:
Snyper said:

611e_1.jpg

good luck buddy

Thanks man, I'll be youtubing the break.

And welcome to a great group of collectors over here. I'm "new" to the Griffey scene as well.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Snyper said:
Daltonb1219 said:
Snyper said:

611e_1.jpg

good luck buddy

Thanks man, I'll be youtubing the break.

And welcome to a great group of collectors over here. I'm "new" to the Griffey scene as well.

Thanks, whats your youtube url ill give you a sub

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
hey guys Im STILL trying to learn about a printing error. a tiny perfect green circle is on my 89 griffey UD rookie.

did the same thing as you did to get it, but a little more than 80 into it..
-j

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
hey guys Im STILL trying to learn about a printing error. a tiny perfect green circle is on my 89 griffey UD rookie.

-j

Awesome man. Did you only pull one out of your box? Hopefully I get a blank back Griffey. ;)

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Jack Straw said:
donrusscrusademan said:

-j

Can we see a picture?

the only picture I have right now sucks.. it has a reflection line from the window, so its hard to tell whats on the card and what isnt.
even if I get my camera squared away it would be one of those cards where you need a real scanner to make it show

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt27 ... ure032.jpg

the green hardly shows up there. its exactly in the center of the card. I wonder if there was a devise for centering?

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
magicpapa said:
that spot by his nostril?

yeah. its a tiny green circle. I busted a whole box and didnt see anything else like that. it seems a little bigger in person.. wonder why I havnt seen anything like it

G

Hey folks - I need some help on this one...

I have, in the raw, two versions of the 1989 Donruss Ken Griffey Jr. RC -
#1 has one asterisk around the Denotes Led League on the back
#2 has two

Nifty variation, eh?

The problem is, I'm looking for the two star variation in PSA 10 to move toward completing my Griffey PSA 10 Rookie Set - and it's proving to be a hell of a find :idea:

I'm trying to understand what might cause the problem. In the raw, both variations are easy to find. Do you know if one was in factory sets, and another was in packs? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks,

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
thejuniorcollection said:
Hey folks - I need some help on this one...

I have, in the raw, two versions of the 1989 Donruss Ken Griffey Jr. RC -
#1 has one asterisk around the Denotes Led League on the back
#2 has two

Nifty variation, eh?

The problem is, I'm looking for the two star variation in PSA 10 to move toward completing my Griffey PSA 10 Rookie Set - and it's proving to be a hell of a find :idea:

I'm trying to understand what might cause the problem. In the raw, both variations are easy to find. Do you know if one was in factory sets, and another was in packs? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks,
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22928&p=279506#p279506

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
LaneyB said:
donrusscrusademan said:
magicpapa said:
that spot by his nostril?

yeah. its a tiny green circle. I busted a whole box and didnt see anything else like that. it seems a little bigger in person.. wonder why I havnt seen anything like it

I'd say just a printing spot.

thats what I thought, but what confused me was that its smack dab in the center plus theres no need for green in that area. I guess I need to learn about printing

Members online

Latest posts