Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Very cool card Magic! Here's my mailday.

1998Select5StarBonus.jpg

44/50

1999ToppsGalleryofHeroes.jpg

The Gallery of Heroes looks so much better in person. So does the 5 Star Bonus, for some reason it didn't scan very well.

Joe

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Back to the 1/1 Exquisite Griffey / Jeter card

Guys / Gals?

Thanks to Magicpapa for posting my question reqarding the Wrapper exchange Griffey / Jeter Exquisite 1/1 cards. I'm no longer concerned about the 1/1 in red as others have turned up and the one missing it, was an oversight by UD which will be corrected soon.

My real question is this. I'm being offered the card for $675 free shipping. IS IT WORTH IT?
I've been shown an upperdeck chart for wrapper redemptions and there are thus far FIVE 1/1
Griffey / Jeter Exquisite cards sent out or being made. I have nothing to say it will stop at those 5. I have tons of Griffey / Jetter signatures on other duals, triples, quads etc. They are not 1/1 cards and this card does say 1/1 and is exquisite BUT is it really a 1/1 or another Upper Deck promo gone wrong. Can you fellows tell me if you think it should be treated as a 1/1 (different uniform- whatever), and whether you'd pay $675 for it to get one 1/1 Griffey / Jeter for your collection (I don't have one). I'd really appreciate the feedback before I agree.

A parallel UD situation was when I bought the 1/1 bat barrel nameplate card for quite alot of money. A week later, another 1/1 bat barrel card turns up, identical black bat and markings and card in every way EXCEPT Griffey's head is turned the other way! To me that's not a different card and I paid for a semi 1/1.

In summary, is whether the exquisite promo Griffey / Jeter dual auto card, 1/1 in red, 5 already known to exist, should be considered a real 1/1 and if it should then given the circumstances is it worth $675 or should I forget it completely?

Thanks in advance for any help :?:

badmajama

Aug 11, 2008
wow Brinn is here!!! As for the question, I think later the promo will end up backfiring on UD. If there are 5 1/1's but with different pics of Griffey/Jeter to me its 1/5 regardless if the pics are different. Besides Exquisite Rookies wasn't that great of a product. $675 would be a good selling price. Fair to both seller and buyer. Besides its just cardboard and there are going to be more of these next year.

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Griffey / Jeter card

Given most of you think price is fair, and I agree, I'm passing.
I'm tiring of UD not caring about collectors. What they should have done, to maintain integrity, is to let everyone pick 2 players on a first come first serve basis. But to allow 5 people to pick the same 2 players, maybe more to come, is a slap in the face of anyone who is a "real" collector, if you are going to call the card 1/1. I'm quickly getting to the point of looking at the old stuff only (older Griffey stuff) and ignoring the new product for awhile. I think we deserve more.
S

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
Re: Griffey / Jeter card

brinn1 said:
I'm tiring of UD not caring about collectors. What they should have done, to maintain integrity, is to let everyone pick 2 players on a first come first serve basis. But to allow 5 people to pick the same 2 players, maybe more to come, is a slap in the face of anyone who is a "real" collector, if you are going to call the card 1/1. I'm quickly getting to the point of looking at the old stuff only (older Griffey stuff) and ignoring the new product for awhile. I think we deserve more.
S

I agree with this. The guys who had the wrapper redemptions really got screwed on this one.
This reminds me of this card :(
img318.jpg

UDs checklist had them as numbered to 5. 3 members of this thread bought redemptions for pretty high prices. I was the first one to get my redemption back and it was numbered to 20. UD replied to our complaints by saying that the checklist are subject to change. That sure doesn't help when you way overpaid the the card.

Roy

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Griffey / Jeter card

Roy Birchler said:
brinn1 said:
S

I agree with this. The guys who had the wrapper redemptions really got screwed on this one.
This reminds me of this card :(
img318.jpg

UDs checklist had them as numbered to 5. 3 members of this thread bought redemptions for pretty high prices. I was the first one to get my redemption back and it was numbered to 20. UD replied to our complaints by saying that the checklist are subject to change. That sure doesn't help when you way overpaid the the card.

Roy

seems like right after that the did away with the redemption site, on how many redeemed ect........

i think i dished out the most $
300+ i think :eek: :shock:

spokesmansp1.jpg
spokesman.jpg

spokesman1.jpg

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Pinbreaker, nice card. That is one of my favorite cards to see autographed. I had a mailday myself. I found this one outside of ebay for 75, not a bad price in my opinion. It's from the 2004 SP release.
2004-SP-40ManBuyback.jpg

It goes well with this from a 2003 UD release, don't recall which product though. I don't think the card is actually this faded, I think the flash had something to do with it.
2003-UD-Top40Buyback.jpg

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Hey guys. Everyone keeps telling me that I turned old today. :lol: :lol: Here's my gifts from my wife for my 30th b-day.

1998 Upper Deck Retro Sign of the Times Auto /100
1998UDRetorSignoftheTimesAuto.jpg

2004 Upper Deck Super Patch Name
2004UpperDeckSuperPatchName.jpg

They look sweet in person. I've always wanted a Super Patch. Big thanks to Magic for the help in locating these cards. I don't think I had ever seen the Retro one before.

Joe

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Joe, first Happy Birthday old man! Second, fantastic cards, I'm a bit jealous of that Super Patch. I hope this day is a great one for you.

Bruce

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
muskiesfan said:
Hey guys. Everyone keeps telling me that I turned old today. :lol: :lol: Here's my gifts from my wife for my 30th b-day.

1998UDRetorSignoftheTimesAuto.jpg

2004UpperDeckSuperPatchName.jpg

They look sweet in person. I've always wanted a Super Patch. Big thanks to Magic for the help in locating these cards. I don't think I had ever seen the Retro one before.

Joe

Nice looking cards.. especially the Retro.. I think I will be getting rid of my Griffey auto's unless he is in a Mariners Uni.. trying to focus more on Mariners stuff..

Thanks for making us old farts feel even older since you think you are old at 30?.. (I'll be 48 soon :D )

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Pinbreaker said:
muskiesfan said:

Joe

Nice looking cards.. especially the Retro.. I think I will be getting rid of my Griffey auto's unless he is in a Mariners Uni.. trying to focus more on Mariners stuff..

Thanks for making us old farts feel even older since you think you are old at 30?.. (I'll be 48 soon :D )

:lol: :lol: I don't think I'm old. I can honestly say I don't act old either. :D My wife and friends are the ones who keep telling me how old I am now. I think it's funny. I know they're trying to aggrevate me, but it doesn't bother me at all. I was losing my hair and getting grays in my 20s, so people have always thought I was old. :lol:

Thanks Pin. If you for sure decide to move any non-Ms Griffey autos, let me know. I may try to pick up one or two.

Thanks Bruce. I appreciate it. No need to be jealous at all, not with the collection you have. ;)

Joe

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Hey guys! Just got done catching up on 4+ pages here. Great cards everyone! I'm really jealous, thats for sure. But with the sports season beginning, basketball season on its way, and my masters work, i have been extremely busy. Dont have much money either, it is all going towards the fender of my brand new car that someone decided to crush and then drive away :evil: :evil: Got outbid on a griffey the other day (Magic sent me a link or else i would have missed it) but other than that i bought only one card today for my donruss auto set. Hopefully soon things will calm, i can check the bay more often, and hopefully have some extra bucks around for a nice auto or two.

Members online

Latest posts