Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
Ok fellow Griffey nuts, I need some help and fresh eyes on this...

Where does this patch come from? Do you think it's real?

It's not a part of the sleeve logo, and appears to be from when they have the Mariner log appears within the "S" or over the "M". However even in those cases, I can't seem to find an example of a jersey/logo where the lines on the below patch match up perfectly to a game used jersey example.

Also, looking at the quality of the material on the patch, does it look legit? It's in an encased Dynasty case, but those aren't exactly fort knox either.

i9C2i8N.png

Attachments

• i9C2i8N.png
    i9C2i8N.png
    899.1 KB · Views: 20

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

Patches that prime are always the 1/1 variation in Dynasty. That card is #/10, listed by Probstein....

Can't find the same serial # in Sold Out, COMC, Google, or Worthpoint, but I dunno....

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
Patches that prime are always the 1/1 variation in Dynasty. That card is #/10, listed by Probstein....

Can't find the same serial # in Sold Out, COMC, Google, or Worthpoint, but I dunno....

That definitely is one point that is in the "might be fake" column, along with it going through Probstein.

However, it's not accurate to say those are ALWAYS the 1/1 variation. In 2015, similar logo patches (better ones imo) were in the /5 variation and even saw one in the /10. Some I saw personally pulled in group breaks. There are also 1/1s that are so much worse.

That being said, in 2016, there haven't been any really amazing non-laundry tag patches pulled for the mariners. So it's suspicious to see this one be /10. Again, on the other hand, the only other "unique" 2016 patch that has been public was also a /10

So while Topps has been inconsistent on this, I'm stuck on looking at 2016 alone where I just haven't seen any unique logo patches surface besides these two, and they have both been /10. /5 have been worse, and /1 have all been laundry tags. The other train of thought is that because he was a redemption this year, there is way less info in the form of group break recordings and a lot of people sold off their redemptions to collectors who may not have reposted what they redeemed as.

shfpXR0.png

Last edited:

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Does the back of the card say something like this:
"The patch on this card is not from any specific game, event, etc"

The new patches are most likely all manufactured and not worn by Griffey so who knows where or what that patch is was actually part of.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
IMG_1902.PNG

This is what I was looking for "relic" not even called a game used patch or jersey anymore.
This leads me to believe those "patches" could be from anything or even manufactured just for the card.

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
Does the back of the card say something like this:
"The patch on this card is not from any specific game, event, etc"

The new patches are most likely all manufactured and not worn by Griffey so who knows where or what that patch is was actually part of.

Yes it has that on the back, but the front has "game-used memorabilia"

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

It's not a part of the sleeve logo, and appears to be from when they have the Mariner log appears within the "S" or over the "M". However even in those cases, I can't seem to find an example of a jersey/logo where the lines on the below patch match up perfectly to a game used jersey example.

Also, looking at the quality of the material on the patch, does it look legit? It's in an encased Dynasty case, but those aren't exactly fort knox either.

i9C2i8N.png

The star that is on the "S" in Seattle..

View attachment 70982

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
The star that is on the "S" in Seattle..

View attachment 70982

Love this forum. Really appreciate the level of detail and effort on the responses guys.

Any thoughts on the quality of the material? Haven't been able to find a picture of a game used jersey out there that also allowed me to zoom in like to the level that the patch is zoomed in that looks the same.

Members online