Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Re: The PROMO/PREVIEW/PRE-PRODUCTION/PROTOTYPE/SAMPLE thread

Mozzie22 said:
sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
If anyone has seen another player from this set please let me know. It is a 1992 Ace Prototype.
Scan0057.jpg

lol... it looks like the bird is on his finger.

It kind of does. I wish some player collector had more info on this set. In 10 years two Ozzie's have been on Ebay and the last one was 8 years ago and it sold for over $200. Ace propositioned MLB for a license and they required a few examples of each player. When they rejected the license application MLB ordered Ace to get rid of all the cards...they didn't. They were circulated in the Seattle area. I know of a Ripken and a Puckett and they both went for hundreds a decade ago. Supposedly there was an article in a Beckett in 92/93 about this application and if anyone has that i'd appreciate a scan or copy.

Are they on Beckett.com or in their almanac?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

Here's an interesting Preview... Many of you probably know of the 1990 Starline set that was issued through Long John Silvers. But the year before that, Starline was shopping the design around for a sponsor. They thought about distributing them through 7-11 stores or fast-food restaurants. They made up a set of preview cards with different sponsor logos on them. Finding a complete set of these is tough. Here are the six variations:

89STARLINEPROMO.jpg89STARLINEPROMOCOKE.jpg89STARLINEPROMOCOKE711.jpg
89STARLINEPROMOCOKEBK.jpg89STARLINEPROMOCOKEDOMIN.jpg89STARLINEPROMOCOKEMCD.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

94FinestPP.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
If anyone has seen another player from this set please let me know. It is a 1992 Ace Prototype.
Scan0057.jpg

lol... it looks like the bird is on his finger.

It kind of does. I wish some player collector had more info on this set. In 10 years two Ozzie's have been on Ebay and the last one was 8 years ago and it sold for over $200. Ace propositioned MLB for a license and they required a few examples of each player. When they rejected the license application MLB ordered Ace to get rid of all the cards...they didn't. They were circulated in the Seattle area. I know of a Ripken and a Puckett and they both went for hundreds a decade ago. Supposedly there was an article in a Beckett in 92/93 about this application and if anyone has that i'd appreciate a scan or copy.

Are they on Beckett.com or in their almanac?

Unfortunately no. None of the major grading companies will grade it until I can show them the published story. These are rare but I can't believe other player collectors haven't seen their player in this set.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008

Oooooh, those ACE cards are TOUGH!

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

Other than a few sample or pre production Gooden cards, I have these..

mmlcsfb.jpg

mtdkrcsfb.jpg

ngpfbs.jpg

jo02dsbsample.jpg
<--- Sample card too..

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

I think these were inserted into a magazine distributed at the 1992 National Convention to promote the sets of Knoblauch and Bagwell. Anyone know for sure?

1228514231.jpg
1228514233.jpg

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States

Here's a classic for the Ozzie collector:

1988 Action Packed Prototype. This was a tough find, and at one time was "worth" $100. Don't know what it would go for these days, but it was a huge fill for my collection.

ozzieap.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008

Greg Cleveland said:
Here's a classic for the Ozzie collector:

1988 Action Packed Prototype. This was a tough find, and at one time was "worth" $100. Don't know what it would go for these days, but it was a huge fill for my collection.

ozzieap.jpg

The back looks just like 88/89 Score backs almost.

Those are really tough. I have 3 different Will Clarks.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States

Picked up these by the score at the 1995 National. I should gather everything up from that National and make one post. Promos were a big thing back then! I stil have a couple left (Russ S. do you need one?--if you see this post!)

calpromo.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008

Nice... i had never seen one of those until now.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

tpeichel said:
I think these were inserted into a magazine distributed at the 1992 National Convention to promote the sets of Knoblauch and Bagwell. Anyone know for sure?

1228514231.jpg
1228514233.jpg

Not sure but I have the same exact thing in my colelction as well.I am assuming they were released in a magazine that was distributed at the National but I cannot find a damn thing about these in any magazine.I got mine for a few bucks some time back.

I do however know that they released these 4 card sets in a gold holoprism version as well though.I believe they were only numbered to 5,000(the first 5,000 of these sets were produced with these while the remaining were silver holo's).I have only seen one gold set in my life and it was the Knoublauch version and not the Bagwell version.The shop that had it had just sold the Bagwelll for $5.I would have gladly paid more for it at the time.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD

Thanks for the thought Greg.

I do have that Ripken '05 Emotion Promo.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

not sure if test issues count, but this is probably one of the top 10 rarest pre 95 ryan cards out there

31f.jpg
31b.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

bouwob said:
not sure if test issues count, but this is probably one of the top 10 rarest pre 95 ryan cards out there

31f.jpg
31b.jpg

What year is that? I thought I'd seen every Nolan Ryan out there...guess not though. Very cool.

Members online

Latest posts