Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Don't hear or see too many of the promo / sample. There were a couple of sales on eBay but no one talks about them. I'm wondering..... Unlike the 1997's, the cards look brand spanking, fresh from the printer new for a 21 year old. Thoughts?

Regular Issue
attachment.php

Promo

attachment.php

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
They were inserted into specially marked card shop and newsstand issues of Tuff Stuff magazine.

Ok. Cool. Thanks! I knew Beckett had some sample cards in them but I didn't know Tuff Stuff did too. I must have forgot about it cause I did buy/look at Tuff Stuff mag. for a while and thought it was pretty good. Do the majority of sample/promo cards come out of baseball magazines? Or just some sets. I don't ever remember pulling a sample/promo card out of a pack. I just buy them off ebay.

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Ok. Cool. Thanks! I knew Beckett had some sample cards in them but I didn't know Tuff Stuff did too. I must have forgot about it cause I did buy/look at Tuff Stuff mag. for a while and thought it was pretty good. Do the majority of sample/promo cards come out of baseball magazines? Or just some sets. I don't ever remember pulling a sample/promo card out of a pack. I just buy them off ebay.

Only a few sets could be had in specially marked issues of the monthly Beckett and the Tuff Stuff and 1 or 2 magazines which elude me at this time. The vast majority of promos, samples etc were issued to dealers or inserted in specially marked factory sets of various manufacturers. They were also issued at nationals, conventions.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey all - I had to buy a sample lot to get the one Alomar I needed, so I have a few left. Free to good home, just PM me with your address if you want one of these:

Mark McGwire - 2003 UD Play Ball SAMPLE (Tuff Stuff)
Wilson Betamit - 2002 Donruss Studio SAMPLE (Beckett, silver foil)
Greg Maddux - 2003 Diamond Kings SAMPLE (Beckett, silver foil)
Shawn Green - 2002 Donruss Studio SAMPLE (Beckett, silver foil)
Jimmy Rollins - 2002 Leaf SAMPLE (Beckett, silver foil)

Jan 14, 2009
Was there a promo/pre production set for 1995 Stadium Club baseball?

Yes. First Day Issue and base cards were issued to dealers 1 per order form in a penny sleeve attached to the paperwork in an envelope. I think far fewer of the 1st Day cards were sent out but the base are harder to find since they were mixed in with the regular cards for sets, quarter boxes, etc. There are 9 (or maybe 10) players, same ones for both types. They have minor design/photo cropping/text arrangements on back as their most distinguishing characteristics.

Edit: I couldn't find my pic but I used to have a full order form/sell sheet/envelope with the Andy Van Slyke base version attached as they were mailed out back then.

Edit 2: Frank Thomas is not part of the promo set, just FYI

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Thank you for the information. If the base promo cards came in a 9 card factory sealed pack I have 2 of them. I. Rodrigues, card # 197, is on the back of each pack.

Jan 14, 2009
Thank you for the information. If the base promo cards came in a 9 card factory sealed pack I have 2 of them. I. Rodrigues, card # 197, is on the back of each pack.

I only know them to be issued one at a time per form, but wouldn't be surprised to find they were issued another way as well. Very odd your pack has two Rodriguez cards! Did you compare the back of it to the standard Rodriguez? The easiest way to tell is where the number and position are placed in relation to the photo under or near it. Or similarly by the smaller photo and its placement by the stat bars.

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
There is not 2 Rodriguez cards in each pack. Rodriguez is on the back of each pack that I have. You can see the differences here. Promo is bottom scan.
I. Rodriguez Base.jpg
I. Rodriguez PROMO 001.jpg

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
There are 9 players in the set. You only missed Jeff Tackett who is on the front of both of my packs. I believe there is also 1st Day Pre production cards of each player.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Not a card, but ... I picked up this neat piece that just came in yesterday. It is an original 8x10 glossy press photo of Homer at that Bat which shows drawings of all the baseball players & Homer in black & white. I'm not sure exactly where it was used, and I don't collect random newspaper/magazine clippings, but since this is an original and is of the greatest Simpsons episode ever with my guy in it, I couldn't pass it up!

09181708.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
Not a card, but ... I picked up this neat piece that just came in yesterday. It is an original 8x10 glossy press photo of Homer at that Bat which shows drawings of all the baseball players & Homer in black & white. I'm not sure exactly where it was used, and I don't collect random newspaper/magazine clippings, but since this is an original and is of the greatest Simpsons episode ever with my guy in it, I couldn't pass it up!

09181708.jpg

It is a lobby card. Very cool piece!

Members online