Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2004 UD Playball

gofrankgo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know why the 1994 Stadium Club Pre production sample cards are hard to locate?
    My main collecting interest is MLB and MLBPA approved Frank Thomas promos, previews, samples, prototypes etc ... raw and PSA. Check out my web site at www.FrankThomasPromos.com. I am also an avid collector of baseball promo sets. I have many different player promo cards for trade. If interested message or email me at gitalian1997@bellsouth.net. And the hunt continues.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gofrankgo View Post
    Anyone know why the 1994 Stadium Club Pre production sample cards are hard to locate?
    I think it may have more to do with the crappy player list than true rarity. Beyond Bonds and Eck, it's pretty weak. But in searching promos all the time, I don't stumble across them that often either, but I don't know if I would put them into the rare category.

gofrankgo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crappy player selection for the set probably is the reason for the lack of "hits" on the bidding sites. I still need 6 more to complete my set.
    My main collecting interest is MLB and MLBPA approved Frank Thomas promos, previews, samples, prototypes etc ... raw and PSA. Check out my web site at www.FrankThomasPromos.com. I am also an avid collector of baseball promo sets. I have many different player promo cards for trade. If interested message or email me at gitalian1997@bellsouth.net. And the hunt continues.

flarick
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K34PuckettAddict View Post
    Thanks @mouschi. I've only ever seen 2 Nolan Ryan's listed for sale on eBay once or twice while I was looking for the Puckett's. With the exception of the three Josh has, the other Puckett's that sold on eBay have all sold for at least $350 or better. I had to pay $400 each for the last two that that I needed. Given the fact that these were supposed to be destroyed, it's entirely possible the other players never made their way out to the public. Since it took me forever to find my Puckett's and I had to pay around a grand for my four standards, I woulda ended a pair of those blankback/fronts the moment I saw them. He's keeping the Puckett's even though I offered the same price he's asking for the Ryan's.

You can tell by the backs of my four that they had to be at the last stage of getting that MLB license since they included it on the backs.
    Just ran across this thread and have some more info on the 1992 Ace Novelty cards. I picked up three of the Griffey cards from a guy in Seattle almost 10 years ago. According to him, a senior manager with ACE coached his son on a team in Seattle. As a reward for the team, this coach distributed some ACE baseball cards to each boy (thinking the release of the cards was imminent). There were 12-14 boys on the field and each boy got about 35 cards. As the boys looked through them, there were no duplicates and the cards were printed in English, French, Spanish and Japanese. He was not sure how many cards were produced. He kept looking for the actual release in 1992 & 1993 and called the ACE corp. office periodically for an update. Each time he was told the company was still in the process of getting the necessary licensing and royalty agreements for the cards. Obviously, that never happened.

Cards his son had included Jim Abbott, Craig Biggio, George Brett, Will Clark, Andre Dawson, Mike Devereaux, Tony Fernandez, Greg Gagne, Doc Gooden, Mike Greenwell, Griffey, Jr. (3), Rickey Henderson, Mark Langston (2), Edgar Martinez, Don Mattingly (2), Kevin Mitchell, Kirby Puckett (3), Tim Raines, Harold Reynolds, Cal Ripken, Jr., Nolan Ryan (4), Ozzie Smith, Ryne Sandberg (2), David Stieb and Andy Van Slyke. He had no C/L but he had a Spanish Nolan Ryan numbered 882. In 1999 (last contact with him) he had sold an English Nolan Ryan for $260, The Spanish Ryan for $303, Ripken English for $150, Sandberg English for $125 and Kirby Puckett English and French for $255.

Griffey images attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992 ACE NOVELTY SAMPLES X3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	70996

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice info , thanks for sharing ^^^

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flarick View Post
    Just ran across this thread and have some more info on the 1992 Ace Novelty cards. I picked up three of the Griffey cards from a guy in Seattle almost 10 years ago. According to him, a senior manager with ACE coached his son on a team in Seattle. As a reward for the team, this coach distributed some ACE baseball cards to each boy (thinking the release of the cards was imminent). There were 12-14 boys on the field and each boy got about 35 cards. As the boys looked through them, there were no duplicates and the cards were printed in English, French, Spanish and Japanese. He was not sure how many cards were produced. He kept looking for the actual release in 1992 & 1993 and called the ACE corp. office periodically for an update. Each time he was told the company was still in the process of getting the necessary licensing and royalty agreements for the cards. Obviously, that never happened.

Cards his son had included Jim Abbott, Craig Biggio, George Brett, Will Clark, Andre Dawson, Mike Devereaux, Tony Fernandez, Greg Gagne, Doc Gooden, Mike Greenwell, Griffey, Jr. (3), Rickey Henderson, Mark Langston (2), Edgar Martinez, Don Mattingly (2), Kevin Mitchell, Kirby Puckett (3), Tim Raines, Harold Reynolds, Cal Ripken, Jr., Nolan Ryan (4), Ozzie Smith, Ryne Sandberg (2), David Stieb and Andy Van Slyke. He had no C/L but he had a Spanish Nolan Ryan numbered 882. In 1999 (last contact with him) he had sold an English Nolan Ryan for $260, The Spanish Ryan for $303, Ripken English for $150, Sandberg English for $125 and Kirby Puckett English and French for $255.

Griffey images attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992 ACE NOVELTY SAMPLES X3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	70996
    Awesome! I heard something similar ... heck, maybe it was from you
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

icollectichiro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack View Post
    Prototype for 2002 Topps Performance Baseball, a game issue that could have been played with dice and/or online

Do you own this Ichiro? I'm interested if your looking to move it. Thanks!!

Check out my site featuring Ichiro
    www.icollectichiro.com
    RC's, Parallels, Variations, SSP, and Graded Cards

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icollectichiro View Post
    Do you own this Ichiro? I'm interested if your looking to move it. Thanks!!
    I sold it to the dude who posts his collection on collectingichiro.com, he has it listed there now.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 252 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't hear or see too many of the promo / sample. There were a couple of sales on eBay but no one talks about them. I'm wondering..... Unlike the 1997's, the cards look brand spanking, fresh from the printer new for a 21 year old. Thoughts?

Regular Issue

Promo

icollectichiro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok, I saw it on his site but didn't know he owned it. Thanks for the response!!!!

Check out my site featuring Ichiro
    www.icollectichiro.com
    RC's, Parallels, Variations, SSP, and Graded Cards

gofrankgo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by u2me57 View Post
    Won a cool looking 2005 Jim Thome U.D. Origins Promo card on ebay today. Didn't even know they existed.
    They were inserted into specially marked card shop and newsstand issues of Tuff Stuff magazine.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gofrankgo View Post
    They were inserted into specially marked card shop and newsstand issues of Tuff Stuff magazine.
    Ok. Cool. Thanks! I knew Beckett had some sample cards in them but I didn't know Tuff Stuff did too. I must have forgot about it cause I did buy/look at Tuff Stuff mag. for a while and thought it was pretty good. Do the majority of sample/promo cards come out of baseball magazines? Or just some sets. I don't ever remember pulling a sample/promo card out of a pack. I just buy them off ebay.

gofrankgo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by u2me57 View Post
    Ok. Cool. Thanks! I knew Beckett had some sample cards in them but I didn't know Tuff Stuff did too. I must have forgot about it cause I did buy/look at Tuff Stuff mag. for a while and thought it was pretty good. Do the majority of sample/promo cards come out of baseball magazines? Or just some sets. I don't ever remember pulling a sample/promo card out of a pack. I just buy them off ebay.
    Only a few sets could be had in specially marked issues of the monthly Beckett and the Tuff Stuff and 1 or 2 magazines which elude me at this time. The vast majority of promos, samples etc were issued to dealers or inserted in specially marked factory sets of various manufacturers. They were also issued at nationals, conventions.