Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whatever happened to that guy with the 2006 Topps Blue set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Were the 10 contest cards serial numbered? Did the the winner have card 7/10, just wondering since sending out set 7 instead of 1 seems like an odd thing to do.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
George_Calfas said:
Were the 10 contest cards serial numbered? Did the the winner have card 7/10, just wondering since sending out set 7 instead of 1 seems like an odd thing to do.

It was a choice to go with #7. I can't recall if it was Topps or the collector that decided on it, although I'm almost positive it was Topps. But it was definitely because of Mantle, and not because the redemptions were serially numbered.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jeff D said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1fqjwvfk]Were the 10 contest cards serial numbered? Did the the winner have card 7/10, just wondering since sending out set 7 instead of 1 seems like an odd thing to do.

It was definitely a choice to go with #7. I can't recall if it was Topps or the collector that decided on it, although I'm almost positive it was Topps. But it was definitely because of Mantle, and not because the redemptions were serially numbered.[/quote:1fqjwvfk]

Mantle makes sense to send 7 over 1

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I thought the number 7 came from the card number out of 10 the guy sent in. I thought ten cards were produced of each potential home run derby contestant and the guy who won had card #7/10 of the player who won the contest, I think there was a drawing. Could be wrong, but I think it was along those lines.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
A_Pharis said:
Alrighty. Here ya' go:

Blalock_FS.jpg

2006 HR Derby Contest cards. Each winning card was redeemable for 1 of 10 sets of "platinum blue" parallels.

Thanks for the scan and ruining my day. :lol:

Now I know they do indeed exist and I still need it. :D

A_Pharis

uniquebaseballcards said:
I thought the number 7 came from the card number out of 10 the guy sent in. I thought ten cards were produced of each potential home run derby contestant and the guy who won had card #7/10 of the player who won the contest, I think there was a drawing. Could be wrong, but I think it was along those lines.

In 2006, you got a set numbered to the card you sent in -- yes.

That means the guy had the Ryan Howard HR Derby card #'d 7/10. The other 9 sets went unredeemed, because either the cards never got pulled or they were just never sent in. There was no drawing in 2006 -- that was 2007 when there were 999 of each derby card.

Otherwise, why would they both numbering the set he won "7/10" if there weren't 10 sets made... it'd be a 1/1 set.

A_Pharis

IOh, and sorry that I didn't keep a scan of the back of my Blalock. The guy that purchased it could be contacted, though, if I can find where we bought it. He's a board member. The exact details of the redemption were on the back.

Getting the #7/10 was not a choice, as I remember the cards saying on the back that you got the set matching the card you sent in.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Chances are Topps is still sitting on the other 9 sets..... Don't bet on singles never showing up again.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
jeffv96masters said:
You were NOT given a choice which set Topps sent you-- they decided for you,,,,, as you can see from his redemption below-- he sent in # 5/10,,,,,,, and received set # 7/10 ,,,,,,

So everyone does not go fruitcakes searching for the back of the card--- here is the actual copy of the redemption that he kept,,,,,,

Just for clarity I did say that I was fairly certain it was Topps that chose 7 because of their love of Mantle.

But thanks for clearing it up and for the scan of the original winning redemption. Hadn't seen that before.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
jeffv96masters said:
The Beckett members ID was JeffreyWKayPC,,,, and most of the posts/purchases came in August & Sept 2007 when they were sold on ebay,,,,,

I can confirm Jeff D's statement on the letter the collector received-- and can show a copy of the letter if anyone cares to,,,,,, I tried assisting the collector by having an article put into Beckett as it was rather interesting,,,,, sadly it never occurred,,,,

You were NOT given a choice which set Topps sent you-- they decided for you,,,,, as you can see from his redemption below-- he sent in # 5/10,,,,,,, and received set # 7/10 ,,,,,,

So everyone does not go fruitcakes searching for the back of the card--- here is the actual copy of the redemption that he kept,,,,,,

Also--- as for "what happened to the other 9 sets",,,,,, Topps never indicated what they did with them,,,,, chances are they were out into the Topps Vault where they will stay ,,,,,, my guess is until Topps decides to release/sell them or to find a way of using them in another contest,,,,,,

Hope this helps people,,,,
Jeff

howardhrderby.jpg
hrredemption.jpg

Thanked for great info.

Latest posts