Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone think 98 Donruss Collections PRIZED are underrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
uniquebaseballcards said:
Can you show all the "base" sets and parallels Collections was the parallel of? Although Leaf Foundations and all those parallels wasn't really a parallel to Leaf.

That's pretty cool.

gracecollector said:
Not really innovative, not really impressive, not really underrated.

Not sure I did what you asked for exactly, but I edited my post. Grace wasn't in every base set parallel. See the Andruw Jones post for others.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
These are more like Topps/Topps Chrome/Topps Chrome Refractors, but with a confusing numbering scheme. So while I don't consider them innovative, they aren't too bad to look at.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, that's the idea. I thought you had the Donruss Gold & Silver Press Proofs, Elite Status & Aspiration, the matrix, d/c and diamond parallels, etc. :)

gracecollector said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
Can you show all the "base" sets and parallels Collections was the parallel of? Although Leaf Foundations and all those parallels wasn't really a parallel to Leaf.

That's pretty cool.

gracecollector said:
Not really innovative, not really impressive, not really underrated.

Not sure I did what you asked for exactly, but I edited my post. Grace wasn't in every base set parallel. See the Andruw Jones post for others.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Here's the AROD prized collection refractor i have for $8 + 3 s/h.
PM me if interested.

arodprized.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
VizquelCollector said:
I just found the Vizquel earlier this year and I really like it. It's not a gorgeous card, but I realized not long ago that some of my favorites are cards that took forever to find like this one.

This right here is how you know you're into the hobby hardcore.Its not about popularity, its not about looks or even value.Its all about what the card means to you and its good we have these kinds of cards because it can make us really appreciate cards that most people would scoff at.And they are , after all, worth something.Its what makes me happy to have anything from a base card to a super duper rare 1/1.They all have their own value.Even base can be hard to fin sometimes.

Good post!

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
predatorkj said:
VizquelCollector said:
I just found the Vizquel earlier this year and I really like it. It's not a gorgeous card, but I realized not long ago that some of my favorites are cards that took forever to find like this one.

This right here is how you know you're into the hobby hardcore.Its not about popularity, its not about looks or even value.Its all about what the card means to you and its good we have these kinds of cards because it can make us really appreciate cards that most people would scoff at.And they are , after all, worth something.Its what makes me happy to have anything from a base card to a super duper rare 1/1.They all have their own value.Even base can be hard to fin sometimes.

Good post!

Thanks man!

It's funny getting all excited to drag out a card like this to show someone... "See? How cool is THIS? I've been looking at this friggin' card on my want list for TEN YEARS. It just popped up on eBay one day and I got it for $2! Can you believe that? I would've paid $50!!!!!!"

And their response is... "Huh, cool. What's your most expensive one? Any with an actual AUTOGRAPH? Got his rookie card?"

:(

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
VizquelCollector said:
predatorkj said:
VizquelCollector said:

Good post!

Thanks man!

It's funny getting all excited to drag out a card like this to show someone... "See? How cool is THIS? I've been looking at this friggin' card on my want list for TEN YEARS. It just popped up on eBay one day and I got it for $2! Can you believe that? I would've paid $50!!!!!!"

And their response is... "Huh, cool. What's your most expensive one? Any with an actual AUTOGRAPH? Got his rookie card?"

:lol: :lol:

I just snagged three of the McDowell promos from 1994.They are oversized and pretty damn hard to find.The Bagwell cost me more than the Griffey and the Ripken combined.I didn't need the Ripken or the Griffey but I figured if they were as rare, or at least as hard to find, as the Bagwell was for me...I'd like to have them.I had a bid in of like $12 for the Ripken and the Griffey but I had a bid of like $50 for the Bags.It only went for like $5 and some change but as hard as it is to find...I figured I'd take my chances.Maybe I am missing something but these things don't seem to be too prevalent.But that is why I had such a high bid in on the Bags...it is just hard to find.Obviously it doesn't go for much but you can bet I would have opened up my wallet for the card had I needed to.Its the small victories like that that keep me going.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
VizquelCollector said:

That literally sounds like what I have said many times in the past - and the response I received.

Great post. <nod> :)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
VizquelCollector said:

That literally sounds like what I have said many times in the past - and the response I received.

Great post. <nod> :)

Do you know how tough the McDowell promos are to find?Figured you might...

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:

Hey Predator,

Re-read your post and I'm still not sure which issue we're discussing.

It's 1994 and a super/jumbo/oversized - that much I got. <nod> <g>

Who was the manufacturer? Does it look like one of the packed-out version of the card it represents?

Lance ;-)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
predatorkj said:

Hey Predator,

Re-read your post and I'm still not sure which issue we're discussing.

It's 1994 and a super/jumbo/oversized - that much I got. <nod> <g>

Who was the manufacturer? Does it look like one of the packed-out version of the card it represents?

Lance ;-)

Its listed in beckett as 1994 Super Slam McDowell Promos.I don't think they were ever released.It was a ill advised idea they just axed.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
These are a pain in the ass to find. I see the same ones over and over but never the ones I need!

Still only have 5 of the 8 McGwires.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
onionring9 said:
These are a pain in the ass to find. I see the same ones over and over but never the ones I need!

Come again?How many were there for each player.Bags only has one listed in beckett but I wasn't aware of others for the same player.Or is this just MAC specific?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:
Isn't that the thick, bifold standing card with multiple ply to add depth?

Think so.I haven't gotten them in yet.They should be on their way shortly.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
Its listed in beckett as 1994 Super Slam McDowell Promos.I don't think they were ever released.It was a ill advised idea they just axed.

BunchOBull called it - that's that cut-out pasted onto an identical image thing.

It's serious old-school craft making. We used to do that as kids in school for Christmas cards - I'm talking circa 1970's here. And the freaky thing is: I'm willing to bet it goes back even further than that - A LOT further.

Finally, they went beyond the promotional stage and actually produced the product for mass market sale. Not surprisingly it crashed-n-burned in our hobby.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
onionring9 said:

Come again?How many were there for each player.Bags only has one listed in beckett but I wasn't aware of others for the same player.Or is this just MAC specific?

I think Onion is talking about Donruss Collections (the actual topic of this thread <g>)

And hey Onion - which ones are you missing?

Lance ;-D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
predatorkj said:

BunchOBull called it - that's that cut-out pasted onto an identical image thing.

It's serious old-school craft making. We used to do that as kids in school for Christmas cards - I'm talking circa 1970's here. And the freaky thing is: I'm willing to bet it goes back even further than that - A LOT further.

Finally, they went beyond the promotional stage and actually produced the product for mass market sale. Not surprisingly it crashed-n-burned in our hobby.

So there was an actual set of these things made and distributed?Never heard of them before.

Latest posts