Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone think 98 Donruss Collections PRIZED are underrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I'm probably in the minority, b/c they rarely sell for anything, but I really think the 1998 Donruss Collections PRIZED collection (refractors) are pretty underrated. Both in price and attractiveness. They never really sell for anything, but I think some of them should, especially the Preferred PRIZED, which were 1 of only 55. The original boxes were expensive, there is 750 different cards in the set, the Prized were like 3 or 4 box or something, and pulling any particular player would be very difficult. I know for a fact the Donruss Preferred PRIZED of Clark was impossible to find. I finally found one after 10 years or so from the big fellow Clark collector who is selling his collection on ebay (but I paid a lot in a bidding war), and it was the first one I'd seen ever, but the normal prices don't seem to be very high. I was curious how many of the fellow player collector have all the cards in the set including the Prized refractor versions.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think I have one of the Bags .They pop pretty well.Nice cards.Never had much competition on the ones I have seen.Seen a few cards at a shop one time.They go for a few bucks but not much.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
They got lost in the shuffle back in '98. The Donruss Collections set paralleled other Donruss sets...and there was this PRIZED parallel set to the Donruss Collections set. People didn't like the idea.

But its one of my favorite sets, and like you say the preferred ones are tough to come by. I think all the Donruss sets (Leaf, Donruss, Elite and Preferred) are underrated - they look good and were a blast to open.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I think I even opened 3 boxes myself...I've got a few of the Prized versions including some big names like Griffey and Piazza.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I think they are underated because it basically took a card from one set, made it shiney and re-released it. I think if it had had something to differeniate more than shine it up there would be more of a following.

I also don't think many people, outside player/set collectors realize these are different. I've gotten a donruss collections in player lots a few times before, including one of my preferred PC. Maybe it has something to do with the numbering system as well? A small gold number kinda sucks and isn't real obvious especially when the other numbers are still on the card.

Lack of differeniation, a wierd numbering system, and no serial numbers are probably the reasons why it's not sought after.

That said, I do have all the Andruw's
1998DonrussCollectionsPCSetFront.jpg
1998DonrussCollectionsPCSetBack.jpg

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Nice Andruws!! That's what I like to see. I don't have the scans of mine handy, but I have all the Will's, thanks to the Preferred Prized I picked up this year. I love the set, the refractor technology really stood out on these cards.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
Maybe it has something to do with the numbering system as well? A small gold number kinda sucks and isn't real obvious especially when the other numbers are still on the card.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

It took me forever to cross them off my list.I had a hell of a time figuring out that concept.

brumbach

Attractive shiny cards, but as mentioned, most collector's don't go for certain "recycled" sets like Donruss Collections, Topps Fusion, or even something like 2000 Stadium Club Chrome. And the gold numbering is difficult to see. Lastly, while it was a premium set when released I think that there was product that was dumped on to the market after the fall of Donruss/Pinnacle in late 1998/early 1999. I recall paying $12/box or something obscenely cheap at that time.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
predatorkj said:
Fandruw25 said:
Maybe it has something to do with the numbering system as well? A small gold number kinda sucks and isn't real obvious especially when the other numbers are still on the card.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

It took me forever to cross them off my list.I had a hell of a time figuring out that concept.

I know your feeling. I had them on my list as leaf, Donruss, preferred, etc... until I finally got a Beckett checklist and started wondering what the hell was Donruss collections was, then I found a couple lol. Glad I was able to find the rest of the set, especially the PC versions.

Jul 30, 2009
Always liked it but one of the problems is that its a pretty confusing issue.

In reality, its Donruss Chrome with tiers.

The most annoying part about this set is that the numbers on the card backs ARE NOT the actual card numbers. Those numbers are in small type.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I like them...a whole lot...and the samples!

Still looking for the Donruss Collections Preferred Prized Collections...both versions for my player.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
according to my list, of the prized collections refractor version, I have:

Chipper Jones 352 #/400
Hideo Nomo 564 #/55....I need to double check this one, it might not be the PC version
Jermaine Dye 155 #/?
Jim Edmonds 438 #/?
Ken Griffey Jr. 299 #/400
Manny Ramirez 232 #/400
Mike Piazza 723 #/55

I may have more floating around that I need to get into my database though

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
BunchOBull said:
I like them...a whole lot...and the samples!

Still looking for the Donruss Collections Preferred Prized Collections...both versions for my player.

Try checkoutmycards.com, or even Beckett Marketplace.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I LIKE THEM! :D
One of my first inserts I bought when I got into them just a few short months ago...bought one not even knowing what it was.

I have an AROD for $8+2s/h available if anyone is interested

griffeyprized2.jpg

griffeyprized.jpg

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Wow, I just went through my Donruss Collections pile of Tony Clark and I actually have a Prized Collection. I honestly had no idea about the refractor finish being a parallel. You're right, the numbering is in very tiny print on the back.

They don't scan well though it seems. Gonna try the other scanner later this weekend.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I just found the Vizquel earlier this year and I really like it. It's not a gorgeous card, but I realized not long ago that some of my favorites are cards that took forever to find like this one.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
clarkfan said:
I'm probably in the minority, b/c they rarely sell for anything, but I really think the 1998 Donruss Collections PRIZED collection (refractors) are pretty underrated. Both in price and attractiveness.

Completely agree. Love this issue.

But, as you can see, even 11 years down the road - the reasons being stated were the same ones that kept this issue from gaining popularity at the time and to this very day. (all good reasons btw guys <nod>)

Myself, I started up on Collections around 2002 or so after getting a random Prized Collections in a bulk purchase. And, man, it's been a tough climb ever since. Down to one last official card to make the run, that would be the Prized Preferred #2 (#552).

Closest I came was getting into the office late and missing the auction. The bugger went for $17... I could've just died right there on the spot. (circa 2005)

Thankfully, and it wasn't intentional or the impetus, but I never miss auctions due to whatever random bad luck because I now utilize a snipe program. <g>

Funny related story - and as it happens - a recent one.

Remember I said that Prized Collections was sold for $17 bucks? I have a record of it - and the person who won it. So I recently wrote to that person, and it took almost a week, but he finally responded. Quote, "...Can,t help. I need a Thomas myself."

:?: :!: :?

Ohhhkay. Seems to me a simple matter of just saying something like 'I only have the one and I'm not selling'. <shrug> I know how to take 'no'. <g> <shrug>

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Can you show all the "base" sets and parallels Collections was the parallel of? Although Leaf Foundations and all those parallels wasn't really a parallel to Leaf.

That's pretty cool.

gracecollector said:
Not really innovative, not really impressive, not really underrated.

Members online

Latest posts