Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors: Whats a 2009 O-Pee-Chee Black Blank Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I haven't seen this card since the product was release, I'm starting to guess is as annoying as some fleer cards.
What's weird is that I didn't see this parallel in the sell sheet info of the product.

Thanks in advance

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Well, I believe Hockey has a version of the Blank Back and they supposedly are limited to just 5. I don't think they are numbered.

Not sure if what you're talking about is the same though.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
It's exactly the same as the black border, but the back is just gray. I think when the product first came out someone broke a case and listed what they pulled. Pretty sure they got 1 or 2 of these in a whole case, which makes them pretty limited for a 660 card set. No PR has been announced, but I'd guess 25 or less. I have the Shoppach and 1 of the 2 versions of Hanley, but still haven't seen the Billingsley or other Hanley.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Tomlinson21RB said:
It's exactly the same as the black border, but the back is just gray. I think when the product first came out someone broke a case and listed what they pulled. Pretty sure they got 1 or 2 of these in a whole case, which makes them pretty limited for a 660 card set. No PR has been announced, but I'd guess 25 or less. I have the Shoppach and 1 of the 2 versions of Hanley, but still haven't seen the Billingsley or other Hanley.

Here's the thread. Three in a case, so one in every four boxes (or one full set in every 200 cases). Still haven't seen the Matt Diaz. I bet if these were numbered they'd be listed a lot more frequently...

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
LWMM said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Here's the thread. Three in a case, so one in every four boxes (or one full set in every 200 cases). Still haven't seen the Matt Diaz. I bet if these were numbered they'd be listed a lot more frequently...

There we go. That's the info I was talking about.

These remind me of the special f/x blues. They aren't numbered and everyone doesn't realize how rare they are. They don't sell for much, and sellers don't see a reason to put them on ebay.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Skorris CCBC said:

I hope it was a card like that, so I didn't have to count it towards my checklist, but sadly it didn't turn our like that. Great, another innumerate card that seems to be lower than /25. It goes with all the F/X blues, fleer glossy golds and fleer mini die-cuts golds. Player collectors know about how annoying are those cards.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
r2d2 said:
Skorris CCBC said:

I hope it was a card like that, so I didn't have to count it towards my checklist, but sadly it didn't turn our like that. Great, another innumerate card that seems to be lower than /25. It goes with all the F/X blues, fleer glossy golds and fleer mini die-cuts golds. Player collectors know about how annoying are those cards.

Ugh, I had a chance to go after the Hanley fleer mini duct gold and the F/x blue when I first started collecting Hanley. They had starting bids of $10 and I didn't realize they were out of 25 so I didn't bid. Haven't seen them since.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I remember a thread about 2009 O-Pee-Chee when they came out. There was some info about how advertising for it was limited due to some litigation. Combine the low amount that was probably opened with the unknown already rare blank backs, and you've got some cards that will be very hard to find in the future. I keyed in on that and picked up 2 Justin Uptons for very cheap when the product first came out. I've not seen any other Justin Uptons besides those 2. I thought about picking up some other players since I knew they'd be rare, but since not many really know about these, I'm not sure how desirable they'll ever become. Therefore, the prices will probably remain low, even when they rarely show up

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
by the way, there is a cheap Garko on sportsbuy and a few other cheap and reasonable ones on ebay that can be found searching 'black blank back'

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
There was a Griffey on Ebay a couple months ago for 25 . I had no money at that point
so I passed now I regret it. I did manage the Black mini and the 75 retro mini which are proving
to be very tough. This is only a 60 card set that was inserted in Upper Deck Series 1. I have
no idea what the odds were for the mini's?
2009OPeeCheeBlackMini.jpg2009UDOPCInsert75retroMini.jpg

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
r2d2 said:

Agreed R2, I too am having the same problem, and I'm missing all the ones you listed as well as the blank back O-Pee-Chee or Markakis. They are limited to 25 copies as well, and are not numbered. Best of luck to those looking for them.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
I got lucky and bought this for $4 delivered on ebay. First and only I have seen of Andruw. My guess is the print run is probably 5, no reason, just a guess based on how often they show up.

OPeeCheeBlackBlankBack.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure this was a simple print error, not a superduper scarce unannounced parallel. The way they completely dried up on release, and especially with some large breakers having a bunch of different ones and others having not a one. I'm betting two or three sheets got through with no backs and that's it. Same thing happened with 2002 Topps 206 series 1 minis, which was particularly exciting since the whole focus of the set was the backs, but a mistake nonetheless.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
smapdi said:
I'm pretty sure this was a simple print error, not a superduper scarce unannounced parallel. The way they completely dried up on release, and especially with some large breakers having a bunch of different ones and others having not a one. I'm betting two or three sheets got through with no backs and that's it. Same thing happened with 2002 Topps 206 series 1 minis, which was particularly exciting since the whole focus of the set was the backs, but a mistake nonetheless.

Pretty sure when they were released, the black border blank back parallel was announced and they were inserted like 1 or 4 per case or something. There were threads on FCB with links. I knew about the parallel before they were actually sold.

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
Not sure what to think about this whole situation, but I noticed that there are 3 Nate McClouth's up on the Bay right now. Seems that there might be a tad bit more than /5 made, no?

Members online

Latest posts