Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Re: OFFICIAL- Vintage Pickup Thread.

hofautos said:
This one filled a few spots for me as well, added one to the type collection, the 3000 Hit Club, Top 10 Ranked 2nd baseman, and Top 10 Ranked 3rd Baseman.

Amazing card! I need one of those for my Sox collection. The Tris Speaker/Speaker rounding third/Joe Wood card is a favorite of mine.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

jay1065 said:
Very happy to have won this one, as it fills three needs:

T103FDuffy.gif T103BDuffy.gif

1. I now have 2/3 of the Red Sox "Million Dollar Outfiled" (Speaker-Lewis-Hooper.) Just need a Hooper (in a Sox uniform.)
2. One more off the CL for my M101-4 set.
3. One more unique back for my M101-4 back subset.

e91harryhooperfront.jpg

:oops: :oops:

Amazing pickup Jay! :D :D I myself need a Duffy and a Speaker for my PC. Mind I ask how much???

And btw I don't know if you saw the post that got ate by the new server but if you didn't thanks a ton bud, much needed additions to my PC. :)

(Will make another thread later)

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

scotty21690 said:
Mind I ask how much???

And btw I don't know if you saw the post that got ate by the new server but if you didn't thanks a ton bud, much needed additions to my PC. :)

I'll PM you about the price. As for your other post, I did see and respond to it. Glad you like the cards! :)

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

scotty21690 said:

I really like the look of those American Caramels - very sweet! Do you know the least expensive HOF'er in that set?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

hofautos said:
scotty21690 said:

I really like the look of those American Caramels - very sweet! Do you know the least expensive HOF'er in that set?

Yeah they are very very nice looking in person. I think the background of the Hooper only comes in Red Sox from the E91 set. In the American Caramel sets there are E90-E96 sets. The cheapest HOFers from all of those sets is Baker, Tinker, Bender. If you search them on Ebay search "e9*" and click on more catagories and then click on "Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop", you should get 55+ results from all of the 1909-11 American Caramel sets. The Hooper I have ended at the same time an SGC 1 (Hooper) ended and sold for $80 dlvd. It all depends on the grade/or if you buy it raw and of course the player. Hope this helps!

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

^^^

Nice '51s! Looks like your Yankee collection is growing quite well. Do you have a link to your collection?

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

I don't know if you know it or not, but Jerry Coleman is currently an announcer for the SD Padres, and is most famous for his slogans "OH DOCTOR", and "You can hang a star on that baby" whenever a great play is made....a lot of fans have sticks with a star hanging on a string....he is well loved in this community. In 2007 he was inducted into the broadcasters HOF.

TIM FLANNERY SINGS A TRIBUTE TO JERRY YOUTUBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtXMbbQUqDQ

STORY
http://www.sandiego.com/index.php?option=com_sdca&target=F494C97F-EFA8-4F7A-8D3C-6A10C5C58B91

this is what he looks like today - oldest broadcaster today at 85years old.
200px-Jerry_Coleman_of_San_Diego_Padres.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Coleman also signs TTM...or at least he signed my request in 1999.
DANNY

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

jay1065 said:

I really like the back!
I am contemplating a "type" collection where I buy one of every of the different types of sets...there are so many different types of cards out there and I think that would make an interesting collection.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

hofautos said:
I really like the back!

Thanks! That set has two other Sporting News ad backs as well. So far, I have two of the same.

hofautos said:
I am contemplating a "type" collection where I buy one of every of the different types of sets...there are so many different types of cards out there and I think that would make an interesting collection.

I tried doing that with my Red Sox collection. I ended up liking some issues so much, I bought multiples. :)

Recently, I started collecting prewar minor league cards. I planned on a small type collection only, but it is already going in the direction of my Sox collection. I guess type collecting isn't for me. Too many great cards out there. :)

Good luck with your collection! If you need some inspiration, check out this site:

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html

Truly the most amazing type collection I have ever seen.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

jay1065 said:
hofautos said:
I really like the back!

Thanks! That set has two other Sporting News ad backs as well. So far, I have two of the same.

hofautos said:

I tried doing that with my Red Sox collection. I ended up liking some issues so much, I bought multiples. :)

Recently, I started collecting prewar minor league cards. I planned on a small type collection only, but it is already going in the direction of my Sox collection. I guess type collecting isn't for me. Too many great cards out there. :)

Good luck with your collection! If you need some inspiration, check out this site:

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html

Truly the most amazing type collection I have ever seen.

WOW OH WOW !!
Man, I had no idea how many different types are out there...that would be a very trying and EXPENSIVE effort...You convinced me not to try it! I think I like the idea of buying a few that I like more than others (LOL)!
SWEET COLLECTION THOUGH!

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

First addition to a new area of my collection (prewar minor leagues):

SGC 20:
providence_lavender.jpg

bikerider60

Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, NJ

dano7 said:
Today's arrivals for the "old" Yankees:

Yankees.jpg

DANNY
Nice Pickups everyone, good to see Grey made his debut ...love the Casey. It's been a while since I picked up some old cardboard.....love the smell of ol' cardboard in da morning. I have my eye on a card, I don't want to be bumping Heads with a fellow Vintage Collector. It will be mine....the Force is with you...............

Members online