Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Be wary of those waters, as that toe does not make a descent onto ocean floor but instead a steep dropoff several thousand fathoms under the sea. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

VERY nice first pickup. Beautiful card of one of the greatest of all time. The older Exhibits probably have the nicest photography out of any prewar set, and they are affordable which is a bonus. Is that the set you decided on? If so great choice, as those will look great on display as you start accumulating more of them. If you're still undecided I would throw out a few suggestions like any of the American Caramel sets: E92, E95, E120, E121, etc.; M101-4/5 is a great set but a few cards would be unobtainable due to cost; maybe 1934 Goudey due to set size, players, and ease of availability (see my Lefty Grove above ;) ); or even 1936 Goudey [R322] would be a great starter set, only 25 cards and very cheap to put together and nice photography (see my Ferrell below)...or 1936 Goudey Wide Pens [R314] if you want a bigger player checklist (120 cards), those are oversized like your 1921 Exhibit, very inexpensive with some great names. I would steer you away from tobacco sets like: T204, T205, T206, T207, etc...due to set size and cost on those [$$$], even though they are great looking cards. I would only recommend those if you were player/team collecting, not set collecting.

Anyways if you ever have any questions feel free to ask me (or any of the other guys on the Vintage Thread) we'll be glad to help you out as best we can. Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay! :)

-Scott

Your like a lifeguard providing a warning that the waters are deep and dangerous, and then setting up a series of temptations for me to jump in the deep end :)

For now I've decided to focus on the Exhibits for the 2 reasons you mention: reasonably priced for the era and beautiful pictures. I'm not sure if I am going to engage in set building. I think for now I am going to focus on the HOFers and bigger names from the 21 set and possibly a couple of other earlier Exhibit sets and see where it takes me.

I appreciate the message and the offer for assistance and will definitely check in as needed.

Best
-Jeff

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Who me? :oops:

Great choice, Jeff! I know the Ty Cobb 21' Exhibit is one of my favorites of his. Very under appreciated. Also Rabbit Maranville has a neat horizontal fielding pose Exhibit.

I myself haven't delved into the 20's era much at all, but mostly because the Red Sox didn't have many notable players (they were terrible that decade). One of these days I'll find something decent for my collection from the 20's.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Who me? :oops:

Great choice, Jeff! I know the Ty Cobb 21' Exhibit is one of my favorites of his. Very under appreciated. Also Rabbit Maranville has a neat horizontal fielding pose Exhibit.

I myself haven't delved into the 20's era much at all, but mostly because the Red Sox didn't have many notable players (they were terrible that decade). One of these days I'll find something decent for my collection from the 20's.

The Walter Johnson card really jumped out to me.

I'd love to pick up a 1925 Gehrig, but think that one, even in poor condition, will be out of my price range.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
$51 for signed vintage? I'll take that all day

....but what about $52? Did I overpay by a dollar? ;)

20170331_163557_zpsm78eiu6j.jpg

Emerson Dickman [D. 1981]

I have 1 card incoming.....and am still deciding what to spend my eBay bucks on. Narrowed it down to about 4 cards. I was so close to making a $500 card purchase during the 10% period, but sadly I showed some restraint. :lol:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I personally think it's just warped looking from the way the picture is taken and the plastic case. If it were cut or altered, then PSA would've noted that on the flip. Great looking 4.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
My first card from the 1920's....been after a Muddy Ruel for a while for my catcher PC. Love the photo, very cool pose!

20170411_165749-1_zpsr6tmuphs.jpg

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
An upgrade from my SGC 10 which I have since sold.

IMG_20170410_111909316_HDR.jpg
Nice upgrade! Plan on upgrading any more Greenbergs in the future?

Congrats on your pickup! Love looking at the equipment used on the old cards.
DANNY
Thanks Danny....I'm a sucker for old catcher cards! My Del Wilbur is my favorite:

wilberbowmanbw.jpg

Great shot and love how it's in B&W, adds to the sharpness of the image imo.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Nice upgrade! Plan on upgrading any more Greenbergs in the future?

I've updated a bit, as I have most of his vintage cards that are actually obtainable. When I was first buying vintage I would go for low-grade examples. Getting more and more lately. Upgrading is quite fun, because I sell my lower grade duplicate which helps pay for the higher grade example.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I've updated a bit, as I have most of his vintage cards that are actually obtainable. When I was first buying vintage I would go for low-grade examples. Getting more and more lately. Upgrading is quite fun, because I sell my lower grade duplicate which helps pay for the higher grade example.

I've thought of doing the same, but might wait until I've run out of cards from my wantlist to buy.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Needed a 100 year old Yankee for this year, so I purchased a 1917 Collins-McCarthy Ray Fisher. I plan to try to get one (if I don't already have one) every year forward that is 100 years old.
DANNY

Latest posts