Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
First time posting in this thread. Some amazing vintage cards guys!!!

A question for you experts. I am considering a new project, but would appreciate some ideas. I am thinking about working on a graded vintage pre WWII set. My preferences are for a set with nice color graphics, a solid checklist, and no super crazy ssp. I am willing to be patient with the project and am looking to start out with mid range grades. Hopefully a set where the better cards in decent shape can be had at under $1k. Any ideas? Pics would be great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Check out 1938 Goudey, also known as Heads Up. 48 Card set with several HOFers, but the second series of 24 is just a repeat of the first series with obverse text added. Not the best looking cards in the world, but they’re one of the few attainable color prewar issues.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/1938-goudey-baseball-cards

There’s also 1941 Play Ball, which imo is the best looking post-1934 set. 72 cards so it’s a bit larger, and there are some expensive HOFers - Williams, DiMaggio, Peewee Reese, Greenberg, etc

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/1941-play-ball-baseball-cards

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I personally like the 1934-36 Diamond Stars cards. I finished the Yankees and then bought some more because I like them. Will probably add more in the future. I currently have 56 ofthem.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I personally like the 1934-36 Diamond Stars cards. I finished the Yankees and then bought some more because I like them. Will probably add more in the future. I currently have 56 ofthem.

I have to agree on the Diamond Stars. I have been contemplating the set for a year now. The checklist has a great number of hall of famers with no Ruth or Gehrig that will break the bank. The design is a throw back to the art-deco age which is in line with the era these cards were produced and they are available in high quality grades or lower collector condition but still present well. There are some toughie cards but nothing that will make you pull your hair out. I say go for the Diamond Stars.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Thanks! This set and the T202 cards really intrigue me. I doubt that will do the complete set, but who knows? I need 98, 99 and 100 to finish the high numbered cards, which were short printed and therefore more costly.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'll share this in this thread. I figure it qualifies, as the thread didn't say cards only.

Happened upon some old Brooklyn Dodger contracts at auction. I was much more excited for the non-player signatures, especially Dodgers Owner & two time President Stephen McKeever. Bonus sig was NL President at the time, also a two time President, John Heydler. Lu Blue was the one I wanted the most and paid a pretty sum, but ended up with it.

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'll share this in this thread. I figure it qualifies, as the thread didn't say cards only.

Happened upon some old Brooklyn Dodger contracts at auction. I was much more excited for the non-player signatures, especially Dodgers Owner & two time President Stephen McKeever. Bonus sig was NL President at the time, also a two time President, John Heydler. Lu Blue was the one I wanted the most and paid a pretty sum, but ended up with it.

View attachment 80927View attachment 80928

Nice additions and this is a great place to share it!!!

Members online