Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Amazing card Brad! I don't have a single MLB logo card even though I collect those cheaper players. I had a chance at a Jennings once for $50 and thought about it too long, somebody else snatched it up. I wasn't that sad because I was already starting to wind down the spending, I think that was right about the time when I realized that yeah, I had a serious problem. Completely addicted to purchasing cards on ebay. The good old days....

I do have this card which most people think is fake and I think is real....

jjlogo.jpg

You guys don't have to tell me you think it's fake, I already know. :lol: That's OK because it's mine and it's not for sale, and I enjoy it either way. It was more like $8 rather than $50, so that was good. And then they made fake manufactured prefabricated Sabathia MLB Logo cards that were #/50 and not real ( :D ) and I never picked one of those up because I never saw one sell for less than $20! So I was too cheap to pick even one of those up.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So I know Dave has a ton of cards that I do not, and I know I have around 10-15 that he doesn't have. Maybe more, but those are he only has some pictured and not listed. So I was wondering how many of the cards we would all have if we combined our collections? I know some set collectors and such take away from what we try to get, so we wouldn't have them all. 95%? higher? Lower? Plus with all the 1/1's being made now and boxes of product that might remain sealed somewhere that really hurts us too. I have most of my vacation time already allocated for this year, but what about getting together sometime for a Rickey convention. I know I know, a few years late because this would have been best suited for Cooperstown in 09. I think it would be cool to meet everyone and maybe bring some of our favorite cards/items that others would like to see or compare. Plus maybe some trading could occur?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That would be awesome! It would be perfect to meet in Colorado Springs, it's right in the middle of the country and it's so beautiful here with lots of things for tourists to do. But I'm moving. Arkansas is pretty central, and so is Iowa, but... nobody wants to actually go visit those places, right? :lol:

If we were hanging out I bet you guys would be amazed to see me make a trade in under 10 minutes. Speaking of, my sister and nephews spent most of the weekend at my house so I didn't have any time this weekend to play in the basement. I'm trying to get motivated though! And Brad, I'll meditate soon and come up with a good trade... I've been meaning to respond to your last message but.... I suck. :x

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
RL24 said:
That would be awesome! It would be perfect to meet in Colorado Springs, it's right in the middle of the country and it's so beautiful here with lots of things for tourists to do. But I'm moving. Arkansas is pretty central, and so is Iowa, but... nobody wants to actually go visit those places, right? :lol:

If we were hanging out I bet you guys would be amazed to see me make a trade in under 10 minutes. Speaking of, my sister and nephews spent most of the weekend at my house so I didn't have any time this weekend to play in the basement. I'm trying to get motivated though! And Brad, I'll meditate soon and come up with a good trade... I've been meaning to respond to your last message but.... I suck. :x

Field of Dreams is about 45-hour north of me. That would be a pretty sweet meet up. No idea what else is around there though. I would travel wherever.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Field of Dreams would be awesome!!

And I don't know if it's like this in Iowa, but next door in Nebraska they throw one hell of a party for the 4th of July. I try to get out there as often as possible for that, I have lots of family in Lincoln and Omaha. It's just that if it's not the 4th of July, it's pretty boring out there.

DavidEich

Dec 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
Hendersonfan said:
So I know Dave has a ton of cards that I do not, and I know I have around 10-15 that he doesn't have. Maybe more, but those are he only has some pictured and not listed. So I was wondering how many of the cards we would all have if we combined our collections? I know some set collectors and such take away from what we try to get, so we wouldn't have them all. 95%? higher? Lower? Plus with all the 1/1's being made now and boxes of product that might remain sealed somewhere that really hurts us too. I have most of my vacation time already allocated for this year, but what about getting together sometime for a Rickey convention. I know I know, a few years late because this would have been best suited for Cooperstown in 09. I think it would be cool to meet everyone and maybe bring some of our favorite cards/items that others would like to see or compare. Plus maybe some trading could occur?

By the way the meet should take place in the largest Shrine, which I do believe is right here in Riverside, CA. As for the question about how many we all have combined, In a couple of weeks I will be making a Master Checklist available to all of you, and it includes pics. I think its pretty nice, but I'm trying to get all the work done on it first, you will be able to mark the cards you own, if there is no pic from my collection of pics you will be able to add them in, and although my checklist includes everything there might even be a few cards not listed by me, that you will be able to include. Once and if everyone uses it we will be able to answer that question, and I think we will be at a fairly hi %, non 1/1's possibly 100% including 1/1 and I think I am close 900 available, we might be able to reach 95%.

My list of Rickey Collectors is at 25 people but I may be missing a few.

DavidEich

Dec 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
henderson939 said:
If I only had the room, I could give you a run for your money. And since we are bragging, remember all of the really cool stuff you have, came from me. :eek: ;)
Quite a few of them, Yes and Thank You, but not all, and Yes I very fortunately do have the space, and I really could use a bit more, like another 100 square feet or so would be perfect.

To be exact Ken, 762 items in my collection came from you, Thats alot huh, But you have been helped quite a bit as well, and a wedding gift on top of that, and the Greatest Gift all, Mrs. Yvonne Eich's Christmas Cookies. It has been fun hasn't it, do you realize when we made our first trade, November 1997. Once Again Thank You.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I'll add pics of anything you don't have. My plan way back was to do this Dave. I do have a spreadsheet with my serial numbered cards and those of 3 other collector's. I thought it would be awesome to track who had what number. Crazy as it sounds, some of us had 2-3 sequentially numbered form different corners of the country. Are you doing from and back or just front?

DavidEich

Dec 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
Hendersonfan said:
I'll add pics of anything you don't have. My plan way back was to do this Dave. I do have a spreadsheet with my serial numbered cards and those of 3 other collector's. I thought it would be awesome to track who had what number. Crazy as it sounds, some of us had 2-3 sequentially numbered form different corners of the country. Are you doing from and back or just front?
For now it will have the pic that is on my website, which in many cases is both frront and back together, this does allow separate pics, But the data entry and pic insertion is so time consuming for the initial startup, that I figure I can maybe tweak it a bit after the hard part is done. But it only will allow one set of pics per card, but you can enter serial number info etc on your specific card. Which I have not done for any of mine, I'm just getting all the basic info in on each card and whatever pic I have, with just that I started workin on this around Thanksgiving, It will be ready soon. As for your ? Right now I'm just putting in 1 pic, because I just dont have the hours right now rescan every card I have.

That spreadsheet must be extremely long I had one for my collection and it was over 1000 lines long before Computer Death no 2.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
DavidEich said:
henderson939 said:
If I only had the room, I could give you a run for your money. And since we are bragging, remember all of the really cool stuff you have, came from me. :eek: ;)
Quite a few of them, Yes and Thank You, but not all, and Yes I very fortunately do have the space, and I really could use a bit more, like another 100 square feet or so would be perfect.

To be exact Ken, 762 items in my collection came from you, Thats alot huh, But you have been helped quite a bit as well, and a wedding gift on top of that, and the Greatest Gift all, Mrs. Yvonne Eich's Christmas Cookies. It has been fun hasn't it, do you realize when we made our first trade, November 1997. Once Again Thank You.

I will try not to sound too mushy, & no offense to Yvonne, but our friendship was the best gift. :cry: I remember that first big trade back in 97. What did we move about 20 pieces each? There is no doubt you hooked me up big time over the years and I do appreciate it. Even though we have sent many packages to each other, it is hard to believe that I put 762 items in your collection over the years. Out of curiosity, do you have a tally from your end?

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
DavidEich said:
Hendersonfan said:
For now it will have the pic that is on my website, which in many cases is both frront and back together, this does allow separate pics, But the data entry and pic insertion is so time consuming for the initial startup, that I figure I can maybe tweak it a bit after the hard part is done. But it only will allow one set of pics per card, but you can enter serial number info etc on your specific card. Which I have not done for any of mine, I'm just getting all the basic info in on each card and whatever pic I have, with just that I started workin on this around Thanksgiving, It will be ready soon. As for your ? Right now I'm just putting in 1 pic, because I just dont have the hours right now rescan every card I have.

That spreadsheet must be extremely long I had one for my collection and it was over 1000 lines long before Computer Death no 2.

Managing one scan of each card is a pain in itself, let alone two. If I don't have two copies of a card, I cheat and just make a photocopy of the back of the card, cut it out, and then scan the front/back together as a single image.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Thats awesome that you guys have helped each other that much. I haven't had that ability to trade with someone else until we got the 1st thread established. I have traded with a few of you guys, and bought a few things as well, would always look forward to doing more.

762 items is outstanding, I had a hard time wrapping my head around that one....

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I understand the time consuming part of it Dave. My list would need updated, but it is a good starting point. I'm not going to make demands or anything for your project, nor am I going to try to outdo you. I think we have the same goal in mind and you seem to have your gameplan set. Mine is more in the planning stage. How about you just go about as you are and if you need a scan of a card or item just post it up and someone will post it if they have it. If you need any help just say so and I'll see what I can do.

I learned excel pretty good and can do anything with it. My ultimate goal was to build a nice database (access) like DVDProfiler for those of you that know what that is. Only problem is that I have never used access and haven't had the time to learn it yet.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It's be cool if you could set it up in Google docs or whatever so everybody can modify it? Or maybe that wouldn't be cool. Tough call...

henderson939 said:
And since we are bragging, remember all of the really cool stuff you have, came from me. :eek: ;)

I think you have him confused with me. All my really cool stuff came from you... :lol:

rickeyfanatic said:
762 items is outstanding, I had a hard time wrapping my head around that one....

I wanted to make a separate thread about it. Many people don't even have 762 items in their player collection! It's an amazing number...

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
RL24 said:
It's be cool if you could set it up in Google docs or whatever so everybody can modify it? Or maybe that wouldn't be cool. Tough call...

henderson939 said:
And since we are bragging, remember all of the really cool stuff you have, came from me. :eek: ;)

I think you have him confused with me. All my really cool stuff came from you... :lol:

rickeyfanatic said:

I wanted to make a separate thread about it. Many people don't even have 762 items in their player collection! It's an amazing number...

I was thinking that too...762, although not the biggest would still be a decent collection. Google.docs would be great if we could edit it. Say I made a list of my serial'd cards and someone else added theirs. SWEET!

Members online