Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
ManOfSteal said:
RL24 said:
As for that Absolute #1/1, you couldn't get a crappier #1/1, and I can't believe it's already up over $200!!

I totally agree! What makes it so special to make it 1/1? Is it the fact that it doesn't have a jersey or bat piece? I know that most cards come with some material in them now, so not having it is cool? ::facepalm::

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
donrusscrusademan said:
busted a pack of the new topps and score the Rickey Henderson 81 cards your mom threw out :D
In all of the years that I have been collecting and even when I used to break packs and boxes every week, I've NEVER pulled a Henderson insert. Base cards plenty. So, in other words, CONGRATS!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
kryslarry said:
donrusscrusademan said:
busted a pack of the new topps and score the Rickey Henderson 81 cards your mom threw out :D
In all of the years that I have been collecting and even when I used to break packs and boxes every week, I've NEVER pulled a Henderson insert. Base cards plenty. So, in other words, CONGRATS!

I know what you mean! Once I opened a pack of Topps and pulled a Sabathia Gold #/2005. I was pumped! The odds of pulling a gold aren't too bad, but pulling your favorite player, now that's really something! Of course, I already had the card and didn't even need it, but... :oops:

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
kryslarry said:
ManOfSteal said:
RL24 said:
As for that Absolute #1/1, you couldn't get a crappier #1/1, and I can't believe it's already up over $200!!

I totally agree! What makes it so special to make it 1/1? Is it the fact that it doesn't have a jersey or bat piece? I know that most cards come with some material in them now, so not having it is cool? ::facepalm::

It's funny, Eric (Absolute collector) and I were just talking about these cards. There actually is a bat, it's just hard to see....

!B)2tM7Q!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!jYEw5GBR)BMBMPPD1oCcQ~~_12.jpg

It's a weird part of the absolute set... I'm not sure if all the players are like this or just Rickey. He has some very similar cards, one with 6 pieces instead of 1, but they made 50 of the 6, and only 1 of the 1. They have the jumbo single swatches #'d as high as 100, but the tiny single swatches are #/1. And Dick won just about every single one of those little single bat/jerseys. Of course he has lost them now, but...

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ManOfSteal said:
RL24 said:
Hi guys sorry I haven't been posting. I got back from Omaha and have been really swamped, and so super poor. And depressed.

Did you guys see that RH35 listed that sweet Absolute 1/1? Started it off at $205 and it has a bid, even though it's the crappiest sort of Absolute 1/1.

Hopefully this will cheer you up Ryan! You can now add this one to your collection ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

WoW that was nice of you! It kind of reminds me of an email I got while sweating profusely in the heat and humidity of Omaha. I wanted to write you back but couldn't muster the energy to do so from a phone. :D

We'll definitely have to work something out, I have #01/40 and if you see another card around that you would like, LMK.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
RL24 said:
WoW that was nice of you! It kind of reminds me of an email I got while sweating profusely in the heat and humidity of Omaha. I wanted to write you back but couldn't muster the energy to do so from a phone. :D

We'll definitely have to work something out, I have #01/40 and if you see another card around that you would like, LMK.

I'm sure we can figure something out. He dropped the price from $41 to $36, so I got it for $40 total with shipping. It's more than I would have spent, but you mentioned you had the #1/40, and I'm sure there's another card of yours that I'd be interested in. Give me an e-mail if you have certain ones in mind. I'll let you know when the card arrives.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Is anybody in need of this? I figured I'd check in here.

henderson-rickey-88-startinglineup.png

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Just looked over the checklist for 2010 Topps Update (released in October), and Rickey does have one card (three if you count the parallels). It's a manufactured bat barallel card, similar to the manufactured hat patches that were inserted in Series 1.

Here's what they're going to look like:

10ToppsBarrelSample.jpg

They will be inserted at 1 per jumbo box, and there's 175 cards in the set. The "base" version is #/99, but there will also be a black parallel #/25 and a PINK parallel #1/1

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
The bat card looks cool! But um, a pink 1/1? :shock: Really, black I can understand, and even most other colors, but pink? ::facepalm::

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
kryslarry said:
The bat card looks cool! But um, a pink 1/1? :shock: Really, black I can understand, and even most other colors, but pink? ::facepalm::

It's suppose to be like the pink bats they use on Mother's Day. But, considering it's a #1/1, we'll be lucky to even see one :)

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
ManOfSteal said:
kryslarry said:

It's suppose to be like the pink bats they use on Mother's Day. But, considering it's a #1/1, we'll be lucky to even see one :)
I'm sorry. Still an ugh!

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
kryslarry said:
ManOfSteal said:
kryslarry said:

I'm sorry. Still an ugh!

No need to apologize, lol! If they used the actual bats, it might be a cool idea (but then, Rickey wouldn't have one), but a manufactured pink bat relic just doesn't seem right.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
The manufactured thing is starting to get to me. Does this mean my REAL barell will lose it's value?

And Brad... did you realize you coined a new phrase? BARALLEL. Those are the black and pink barell cards. Sweet! It would have been cool if somebody at Topps came up with it and called the parallel barell cards that.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
RL24 said:
The manufactured thing is starting to get to me. Does this mean my REAL barell will lose it's value?

And Brad... did you realize you coined a new phrase? BARALLEL. Those are the black and pink barell cards. Sweet! It would have been cool if somebody at Topps came up with it and called the parallel barell cards that.

Love the new term, very appropriate! I don't think this will effect the value of the "true" barallels, as those will always be highly collectible.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Just an FYI...for anyone who is thinking about buying multiple lots of the Rickeys from "mprez" that are up on ebay....they are good tougher-to-find Rickeys; however, he does NOT combine shipping. I just won 3 lots - 11 total cards. Each lot was listed with $4 S&H (which is high enough for one lot of 3 or 4 cards), but then had to pay $12 in shipping for my 3 lots because he refused to combine the shipping. The postage on the package? $1.90. Annoying, but I guess I should have asked before bidding. Now you can learn from my mistake and factor into your bidding accordingly.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
Leffer said:
Just an FYI...for anyone who is thinking about buying multiple lots of the Rickeys from "mprez" that are up on ebay....they are good tougher-to-find Rickeys; however, he does NOT combine shipping. I just won 3 lots - 11 total cards. Each lot was listed with $4 S&H (which is high enough for one lot of 3 or 4 cards), but then had to pay $12 in shipping for my 3 lots because he refused to combine the shipping. The postage on the package? $1.90. Annoying, but I guess I should have asked before bidding. Now you can learn from my mistake and factor into your bidding accordingly.

I hate when sellers do that. Rip off their customers by postage. Did he send them all in one package for $1.90? If so, you should definitely ask for your money back and leave feedback accordingly. Also, I would report him to Ebay if it was all in one package. Sounds like a real @$$ to me.

scq24

May 25, 2010
kryslarry said:
Leffer said:

I hate when sellers do that. Rip off their customers by postage. Did he send them all in one package for $1.90? If so, you should definitely ask for your money back and leave feedback accordingly. Also, I would report him to Ebay if it was all in one package. Sounds like a real @$$ to me.

Same thing with me, I won 2 of his lots and he charged me $8 shipping. It cost him $1.20 to ship the cards to me in one package. Sucks.

Members online