Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scq24

May 25, 2010
leaflimited.jpg

I was wondering if someone could help me out with these. The first card is the normal Donruss Limited C 85. The next two are both Limited Exposure. The third card is more refractor looking than the other two. I was wondering if anyone knows which one is the non-glossy card of the second two is the non-glossy card? Also the Darryl Hamilton is also refractor looking on the third card as opposed to the first and second card when the Darryl looks plain. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Q

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
scq24 said:
leaflimited.jpg

I was wondering if someone could help me out with these. The first card is the normal Donruss Limited C 85. The next two are both Limited Exposure. The third card is more refractor looking than the other two. I was wondering if anyone knows which one is the non-glossy card of the second two is the non-glossy card? Also the Darryl Hamilton is also refractor looking on the third card as opposed to the first and second card when the Darryl looks plain. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Q

The middle one is the one considered "non-glossy" although I think Beckett could have used a better descriptor than that. To my recollection the Limited Exposure cards were all supposed to be the refractor style, but I guess some were erroneously printed without that and there exists a variation. I don't think it was their original intent to have that middle version of the card, and was more of a result of poor quality control. But, this is just my informed opinion....Brad usually has a good beat on the actual true story. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Great news guys, we will get not one but TWO Rickey Mcfarlane Cooperstown figures!!

http://www.spawn.com/news/news6.aspx?id=13697

McFarlane's SportsPicks is proud to present our eighth series of legendary baseball players, as fans young and old get ready to behold the pride and glory that could only be the Cooperstown Collection. The 2011 series features seven Hall of Fame members and one superstar who will not be eligible for inclusion until 2012. It's the SportsPicks debuts for Bay Area legends Rickey Henderson and Willie McCovey, while popular stars Carlton Fisk and Lou Gehrig receive new poses.

Rickey Henderson and Carlton Fisk 2 will have figures available for two teams apiece (Henderson with the A's and Yankees, Fisk with both the Red Sox and White Sox), while Catfish Hunter and Ozzie Smith will be available as Collector Level-only figures.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Its about time. Henderson was always left out of anything Cooperstown related. I think Topps was the only one to put him in a set (Hall Bound)that depicted future HOFers.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
ManOfSteal said:
Great news guys, we will get not one but TWO Rickey Mcfarlane Cooperstown figures!!

http://www.spawn.com/news/news6.aspx?id=13697

McFarlane's SportsPicks is proud to present our eighth series of legendary baseball players, as fans young and old get ready to behold the pride and glory that could only be the Cooperstown Collection. The 2011 series features seven Hall of Fame members and one superstar who will not be eligible for inclusion until 2012. It's the SportsPicks debuts for Bay Area legends Rickey Henderson and Willie McCovey, while popular stars Carlton Fisk and Lou Gehrig receive new poses.

Rickey Henderson and Carlton Fisk 2 will have figures available for two teams apiece (Henderson with the A's and Yankees, Fisk with both the Red Sox and White Sox), while Catfish Hunter and Ozzie Smith will be available as Collector Level-only figures.
YES!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
scq24 said:
kryslarry said:
Leffer said:
Just an FYI...for anyone who is thinking about buying multiple lots of the Rickeys from "mprez" that are up on ebay....they are good tougher-to-find Rickeys; however, he does NOT combine shipping. I just won 3 lots - 11 total cards. Each lot was listed with $4 S&H (which is high enough for one lot of 3 or 4 cards), but then had to pay $12 in shipping for my 3 lots because he refused to combine the shipping. The postage on the package? $1.90. Annoying, but I guess I should have asked before bidding. Now you can learn from my mistake and factor into your bidding accordingly.

I hate when sellers do that. Rip off their customers by postage. Did he send them all in one package for $1.90? If so, you should definitely ask for your money back and leave feedback accordingly. Also, I would report him to Ebay if it was all in one package. Sounds like a real @$$ to me.

Same thing with me, I won 2 of his lots and he charged me $8 shipping. It cost him $1.20 to ship the cards to me in one package. Sucks.

That's wrong, like stealing from your customers. But since there's no way he could have used 3 DC's on 1 package, you can always file for item not received and just get your money back, shipping and everything. It wouldn't be nice and probably wouldn't be right, and two wrongs don't make a right, but.... they might make you feel better. :twisted:

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
henderson939 said:
Does anyone here know if Henderson was included in the Japanese Topps/Kanebo set from 2003?

I have to presume no, because Jason Jennings is in the set, and they have always been on my wantlist, which came from the Beckett OPG. And I do see one every year or so on ebay for JJ, so we would have seen a Rickey by now...

2003 Topps Kanebo Japan 2 62

That's the only one that's listed, I always wondered if he has the parallels that I see other player collectors showing off.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
RL24 said:
henderson939 said:
Does anyone here know if Henderson was included in the Japanese Topps/Kanebo set from 2003?

I have to presume no, because Jason Jennings is in the set, and they have always been on my wantlist, which came from the Beckett OPG. And I do see one every year or so on ebay for JJ, so we would have seen a Rickey by now...

That's the only one that's listed, I always wondered if he has the parallels that I see other player collectors showing off.

According to Beckett Rickey was not included in either of the Kanebo sets, either the first 55 card set, or the second "Kanebo 2" 110 card set.

It also looks like the black and silver parallels were only part of the first set, so the Jennings, which was only included in Kanebo 2, would not have any parallels.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ManOfSteal said:
RL24 said:
henderson939 said:

According to Beckett Rickey was not included in either of the Kanebo sets, either the first 55 card set, or the second "Kanebo 2" 110 card set.

It also looks like the black and silver parallels were only part of the first set, so the Jennings, which was only included in Kanebo 2, would not have any parallels.

Gooood info! I was even wondering what that mysterious 2 meant in between Japan and 62...

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I bought an auto'd ball and auto'd litho off mprez, and he ripped me on shipping by 11 bucks. I left it in his feedback that he overcharged shipping, but not combining shipping costs when using the same envelope isn't going by the Ebay rules. Report him and get your money back.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Who is this mprez guy anyway? He has a lot of Rickeys, but I don't really ever recall seeing his name before he started selling all his stuff....

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
RL24 said:
Who is this mprez guy anyway? He has a lot of Rickeys, but I don't really ever recall seeing his name before he started selling all his stuff....
I remember him buying up a bunch of Henderson inserts and middle tier stuff before Ebay changed the user name policy. Guess now he is done? I like the fact that he puts a couple of good cards in one auction. His shipping policy sucks though. Can't believe he would just rip people off like that.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
kryslarry said:
RL24 said:
I remember him buying up a bunch of Henderson inserts and middle tier stuff before Ebay changed the user name policy. Guess now he is done? I like the fact that he puts a couple of good cards in one auction. His shipping policy sucks though. Can't believe he would just rip people off like that.

I asked him if he would combine shipping on the inserts he has ending tomorrow, and here's his response:

"No comined sjipping on those single inserts I paid a lot more than they are listed for and are priced too cheap right now, with all the fees and shipping, I am losing money right now..."

Seems to me, that's against eBay rules, am I right? Prices "too cheaply"? It's an auction, they'll sell for what they sell for, it's not our problem he paid more for them in the past.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
ManOfSteal said:
kryslarry said:
RL24 said:
W Prices "too cheaply"? It's an auction, they'll sell for what they sell for, it's not our problem he paid more for them in the past.

Absolutely. If you want more for the cards, start them higher or put a reserve on them. If not, stop being a jack@$$. There is a seller of Star Wars figures who is getting around the fees on selling the items with huge shipping fees. He has an auction right now for about 10 figures with a starting bid of $9.99. His shipping? $110.00! :shock: His reason? He paid a lot for the figures, and the price of the figures are in the shipping cost! Makes mprez seem like a saint.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Ryan, the Jason Jennings mystery has been solved (from an updated in today's SF Chronicle):

""A busy day here, as Ben Sheets has a torn flexor tendon and top draft pick Michael Choice has signed for a $2 million bonus.

As Sheets had feared, he needs a second flexor-tendon surgery; when I asked him what worst-case scenario was last week, he'd mentioned that Jason Jennings had required a second flexor-tendon surgery and that it was definitely a possibility. Flexor-tendon surgery isn't like Tommy John surgery, when essentially a new ligament is put in place - the "wrap," as it's commonly known. In flexor-tendon surgery, Sheets explained to me, the bad part of the tendon is shaved off, and the tendon basically pulled down and reattached again. There's nothing new in there, no "wrap" is possible - it's fix it and then pin it back to the bone.

The question will be if Sheets, 32, wants to keep playing. No surgery is scheduled yet, and he's already been through the year-long process of surgery and rehab, and then finding a job as a free agent. That's not easy, and he's a free agent again and would have to try to convince teams all over to take the risk. Jennings has had trouble coming back from his second surgery; he is doing a throwing program now here in Texas. He's still in the A's system, signed to a minor-league deal this spring, but he hasn't pitched in a game."

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ManOfSteal said:
Ryan, the Jason Jennings mystery has been solved (from an updated in today's SF Chronicle):

""A busy day here, as Ben Sheets has a torn flexor tendon and top draft pick Michael Choice has signed for a $2 million bonus.

As Sheets had feared, he needs a second flexor-tendon surgery; when I asked him what worst-case scenario was last week, he'd mentioned that Jason Jennings had required a second flexor-tendon surgery and that it was definitely a possibility. Flexor-tendon surgery isn't like Tommy John surgery, when essentially a new ligament is put in place - the "wrap," as it's commonly known. In flexor-tendon surgery, Sheets explained to me, the bad part of the tendon is shaved off, and the tendon basically pulled down and reattached again. There's nothing new in there, no "wrap" is possible - it's fix it and then pin it back to the bone.

The question will be if Sheets, 32, wants to keep playing. No surgery is scheduled yet, and he's already been through the year-long process of surgery and rehab, and then finding a job as a free agent. That's not easy, and he's a free agent again and would have to try to convince teams all over to take the risk. Jennings has had trouble coming back from his second surgery; he is doing a throwing program now here in Texas. He's still in the A's system, signed to a minor-league deal this spring, but he hasn't pitched in a game."

Post thanked! Sorry I've been so busy lately guys, especially Brad. I've started a reply to your email like 3 times. :oops: We're going to Renée's 3rd 1st birthday party tonight, I think it's the last one... so *hopefully* things will be a little more mellow soon. But it never is....

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
Renee is one already?!? Holy cow! Well, happy birthday to her! Seems like just yesterday you posted the picture of Becky pregnant with Renee! Congrats.

Members online