Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Also, when is he going to set up a time when his diehard fans like us, can have a sit down dinner and maybe catch a game with him. Maybe a fan club? I am sure Walt can definately make something like this happen down the road.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
Also, when is he going to set up a time when his diehard fans like us, can have a sit down dinner and maybe catch a game with him. Maybe a fan club? I am sure Walt can definately make something like this happen down the road.

Some great questions, and I love the idea of a fan club. Kinda figured we were already a pseudo fan club, but to be an official one and have it recognized by the man himself, that would be AWESOME!!!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country

I've been thinking the same thing!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I think he bass fishes? Most proud of runs record because more if a team effort. I think he liked Donnie Baseball and Winfield and obviously Stew. I might know more but I'm sleepy.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Hey guys, Walt just posted for people to send him pictures of their collections and they will post them up. Since I practically live on Facebook (thanks to my wife for getting me addicted) he thinks I have the besxt collection since I post stuff all the time. I told him to be amazed and Dave most likely has the best one. Email to [email protected]. Also, to reiterate, I love the idea of a "fan club" to meet up or whatever. Walt did mention having a beer together.

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
Hey guys, I've been asking Walt McCreary a few questions via e-mail, one of which I believe is of interest to this board for obvious reasons. Basically, I inquired to find out if Rickey has ever collected his own baseball cards and if so, which one is his personal favorite. Here is Walt's response:

"Not really only a selected few when I'm with him this week in Cooperstown I will ask him which ones he liked the best.
I know his favorite thing to collect was always books the ones with players like Aaron, Mays, Ruth were in, he loves more of the game of yesterday then what it is today.

When we're at the HOF we always go on a private tour after hours just looking at the old stuff which is what he really enjoys."

Walt then asked me to put together a few questions from his fans that he would have answered during HOF week. I then will post the answers to them here. So, what questions have you always wanted to ask Rickey? I'll collect the Top 10 or so and send them over to Walt.

This should be fun!

Ask him why he did not write me back or sign the card i sent him when i was a little kid. I also gave him a SASE.? Also, did a lot of catchers use Rolaids when he was on base :)

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ask him why he did not write me back or sign the card i sent him when i was a little kid.

Just got back from breakfast with Rickey. This really bothered us, so we sent a private investigator into the past to see what happened. Your package never made it out of your neighborhood, it was a really windy day the day you mailed it, remember? Well, the mail carrier was getting chased by a dog a couple blocks from your house and all the jostling of the mail bag sent your envelope up into the air right as a mighty gust blew through, carrying your card over to the old rail yard- remember that place? A bunch of bums hung out there, and the envelope landed right in one's lap. He woke up in startlement from a dream he was having about being famous. He could not believe he received a piece of fan mail so instantaneously! For the rest of his life he carried that card around and referred to himself as "Rickey" while walking around mumbling to himself. It was his prized possession. He died 2 weeks later of alcohol poisoning, and they buried his prized possessions with him, a Rickey card and a letter from a fan. The bum always meant to write to you, but I’ll have you know he was never going to send that baseball card back. The PI was going to get it back for you, but he thought it was wrong to take it from this dead man, and Rickey and I whole-heartedly agree that he made the right decision. We asked the PI why he didn’t try to retrieve the SASE, and he said he would have had he known we were interested in gathering every piece of trash involved in the case; and made a good point that the stamp was only worth 22 cents... You're probably wondering if we just found out about this situation this very morning, how could the PI already have done all this research? Our portal to the past is great, no matter how much time you spend over there, only 2 minutes goes by here.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Ask him why he did not write me back or sign the card i sent him when i was a little kid. I also gave him a SASE.? Also, did a lot of catchers use Rolaids when he was on base :)

I did the same thing and never got a reply. I was 12 and sent 95 Fleer Diamond Tribute as I thought that card would look awesome signed.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I would like to know what Rickey thought of his time in Boston? Did he spend any time in the city or surrounding communities?

Yeah what city did he like the best? I know Oakland was his favorite but did he like New York? Does he wish he could have played in Chicago?

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Okay guys, I've submitted a "Top 10" list of questions to Walt for Rickey to answer. I also inquired on the possibility of forming an official "Rickey Henderson Fan Club" with them. I'll post what I hear back!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I told my wife about all of this, and she was surprisingly excited. If we did meet up, where would it be? East? West? Cetral? It's so tough! And she asked where Rickey lives, and I told her....... I dunno! Chicago? She couldn't believe that I don't know where he lives, and might have to stop accusing me of loving Rickey more than her... :p

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I did the same thing and never got a reply. I was 12 and sent 95 Fleer Diamond Tribute as I thought that card would look awesome signed.

Well, I hope nobody thought my reply was too crazy. I was just in a funny mood yesterday, and wondered how Rickey could possibly answer that question. And having recently read a book called 11/22/63, it gave me an idea...

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
I told my wife about all of this, and she was surprisingly excited. If we did meet up, where would it be? East? West? Cetral? It's so tough! And she asked where Rickey lives, and I told her....... I dunno! Chicago? She couldn't believe that I don't know where he lives, and might have to stop accusing me of loving Rickey more than her... :p

I think Rickey has a few homes/apartments - the ranch in Hillsborough, CA a home in Peoria, AZ, and an apartment in NY if I recall. Makes sense for baseball reasons for the AZ home for sure.

Oh, and I've already heard back on the "Fan Club" idea from Walt - it's all good news but I'm waiting to get more information before saying anything.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country

My wife thinks I love Rickey more than her as well. I told her its not true. I think his main residence is in CA. Hillsboro?

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
When I got married, my best man Rob said in his toast "I always thought Rickey Henderson was Kens true love in life, but then Jenn came along and changed that".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts