Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
There has been a lot of movement with the 1980 Cal Ripken Jr. minor league cards over the past year. I think a major reason for the explosion is due to the exposure fellow board member RITM (ripkenintheminors) generated with his website and sharing his knowledge about the scarcity of the 1980 Charlotte O's Ripken cards. You guys all know how rare the '77 Modesto Henderson is but is something out there that a non-Henderson collector can be informed with? Like how were the sets produced and distributed? How many sets were originally produced? Looking at the PSA, BGS, and SGC population reports it shows the 77 Henderson is very close in graded numbers to the Ripken. There has got to be more information out there. Can anyone share? Thank you

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
There has been a lot of movement with the 1980 Cal Ripken Jr. minor league cards over the past year. I think a major reason for the explosion is due to the exposure fellow board member RITM (ripkenintheminors) generated with his website and sharing his knowledge about the scarcity of the 1980 Charlotte O's Ripken cards. You guys all know how rare the '77 Modesto Henderson is but is something out there that a non-Henderson collector can be informed with? Like how were the sets produced and distributed? How many sets were originally produced? Looking at the PSA, BGS, and SGC population reports it shows the 77 Henderson is very close in graded numbers to the Ripken. There has got to be more information out there. Can anyone share? Thank you

I don't know if there has been an official way to confirm how many of the Chongs exist. There was the fire/flood story, so the exact number released is fuzzy, not to mention ones that escaped unharmed and have graded high. They are basically never available for sale, giving you little to no reference on actual price ranges. I think if it were possible to nail down information with the scarcity of this card, it would be more valuable than the Ripken. Given that Rickey is the greatest of all time- said without prejudice :cool:

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

And what about this one?

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA

Somehow, this beauty got away...

From what I''ve gathered, there was a reported 400 sets issued. Of those, there was a fire in the storage warehouse(can not find proof of this online) and some were water damaged. Many copies are badly off centered.
This article states SCD says print run of 400, but with less than 80 graded, and very few raw copies ever to see the light of day, who knows how many are out there..
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1977-chong-modesto-as-rickey-henderson-bvg-7

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Are any of you guys interested in these cards?

2013 Topps TTT "Style Dog" relic/auto (13/18)
2003 Donruss Timeless Treasures Milestone Materials 3,000 Hit jersey #MM-5 (58/100)
2003 Playoff Portraits Silver AP #142 (27/50)
2002 Donruss Classics Timeless Tribute #21 (98/100)
2005 Donruss Throwbacks Polo Grounds HIT-long fly to left field-out #PG-96 (44/85)

ISA Grading

Feb 15, 2013
I have 6 1989 TV Sports Mailbag Rickey Henderson #127 . FREE, just paypal $3.00 to cover S/H. These are 8X10 photos on card stock. They are listed in Beckett and have both a MLB and MLBPA license.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Where is everyone? Brad, Larry, Scott???

I'm here, just don't have anything to say. Had to put the collection on "hiatus" for both time and monetary reasons. I haven't been on eBay in months, which is kind of unheard of. I think the influx of new cards kind of overwhelmed me. But, I'm sure I'll be back!

Members online