Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
I'm here, just don't have anything to say. Had to put the collection on "hiatus" for both time and monetary reasons. I haven't been on eBay in months, which is kind of unheard of. I think the influx of new cards kind of overwhelmed me. But, I'm sure I'll be back!
Pretty much in the same boat.

The prices are so stupid now. A card numbered to 125 for $79? Are you kidding? A sticker auto with a high print run over $100? Topps recycling the same picture for three brands in a row? Just gotten too silly since he went into the HOF. Also the people buying a card by outbidding everyone else and then trying to sell the same card for a much higher price?!? You outbid all the people interested in it, and were only willing to pay LESS that you bought it for! Artificially inflating prices. I miss the days when I was outbid by collectors, not resale jerks and their lack of understanding business. Hope none of them try to open a business on their own. Talk about sudden death. Too stupid to live, yet still able to breed. I want off this planet.:D

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Anyone have any pictures of Rickey on the Boise A's? Had someone ask about one, and realized I'd seen them from HS, Jersey City, and obviously Modesto, but can't think of any from Boise at the moment.

h2oya311

Feb 14, 2013
The 'burbs of Phoenix
Add this one to your checklists!!!

Hey all - long-time lurker, long-time Henderson collector. There was so much activity the past few years on this thread...I'm sad it's died down so much recently. I've transacted with many of you along the way, although you may not have known it. I've also been "that guy" who has picked up a sweet Henderson item that you wanted on eBay and watched as you guys posted: "damn it, who got that card??" Sorry, it was me!

Anyway, I have a cool Rickey to post to liven up this thread and hopefully spur some conversation - anyone ever seen this one?? It's a 1987 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Proof card (w/ '86 stats on the back). Compare it to the '88 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball that we all know and love:

1987 "Proof":
1987 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Proof.jpg
1987 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Proof _back_.jpg

1988 "Normal":
Henderson 1988 SLU Talking.jpg

Henderson 1988 SLU Talking Back.jpg

Last edited:

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Hey all - long-time lurker, long-time Henderson collector. There was so much activity the past few years on this thread...I'm sad it's died down so much recently. I've transacted with many of you along the way, although you may not have known it. I've also been "that guy" who has picked up a sweet Henderson item that you wanted on eBay and watched as you guys posted: "damn it, who got that card??" Sorry, it was me!

Anyway, I have a cool Rickey to post to liven up this thread and hopefully spur some conversation - anyone ever seen this one?? It's a 1987 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Proof card (w/ '86 stats on the back). Compare it to the '88 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball that we all know and love:

1987 "Proof":
1987 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Proof.jpg
1987 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Proof _back_.jpg

1988 "Normal":
Henderson 1988 SLU Talking.jpg

Henderson 1988 SLU Talking Back.jpg

Wow! That is cool as hell. Mind me asking where you found that?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
This is the best 2 days of mail I've had!

Top is silver sample. Top row is all base that arrived today. Bottom are Longevity which I had. Still looking for Gold Sample and Sign of the Times Auto /20.
View attachment 30672

Got the Auto today from All In Cards. Cornstalk was Christmas present and base from Field of Dreams event.
View attachment 30673

Auto arrived yesterday
View attachment 30674

This was also in my box yesterday from Delicious Bacon
View attachment 30675
View attachment 30676

And to top it off, this arrived from Amazon. Boondock Saints II Steelbook.
View attachment 30677

This notice is required by law.

h2oya311

Feb 14, 2013
The 'burbs of Phoenix
Wow! That is cool as hell. Mind me asking where you found that?

Got it several years ago from one of the big AH's. Apparently, Parker Brothers didn't have the MLB license at the time the sheets were printed (despite showing the MLB symbol). Only a handful exist, to my knowledge, although I've never seen another (of any player, for that matter) other than the ones I own. The sheets had all the key players from that set, including Schmidt, Murphy, Puckett, Gwynn, Ripken, Strawberry, Yount, Murray, Sandberg, Mattingly, Boggs, Clemens, Brett, Fisk, Strawberry, Dawson, O. Smith, and N. Ryan.

Feel free to add this one to your master Henderson checklists!! I'll post another "possibly unknown" Rickey in the next few weeks...

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So far 2014 has been good for my collection. There are a few I wanted but didn't have the cash at the time. With some choices gone it made selection easier. I've added and will add some hard to find cards. Some continue to elude, but getting closer.

This notice is required by law.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
I redeemed this card shortly after product release, and seeing how the 2014 version comes out in 4 days I'm pretty disappointed to still be waiting on this one.

bhe8v0f.jpg

Topps sell sheet says "Serial Numbered #/5" , wish I had it :(

h2oya311

Feb 14, 2013
The 'burbs of Phoenix
It's a new week, so I figured I'd share another sweet Henderson item you guys most likely haven't ever seen. I picked this up back in 2011. It might be the earliest autograph of the "Man of Steal", signed back in 1977 while with the Modesto A's.

It looks like the scorecard was only updated through the 6th inning, but Rickey had a game you might expect (although he batted second - go figure!): ground out, walk (as always), and a HR. The guy batting in front of him, Darrell Woodard, the team's 2nd baseman, had 90 SB's for Modesto in 1977, Henderson had 95!!

IMG_7618.JPG

IMG_7621.JPG

Last edited:

Members online