Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Well, thanks to anyone who can help me. I am stuck in Hawaii and we never have cards shows...so I am stuck buying all my stuff online. If it aint there, I am not getting it. So if you run across one, I would love to work out something!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
John P (4040Man) is selling some sweet 24/XX cards on eBay. Nice guy, but demands higher than book prices especially for 24 cards. He won't budge an inch. I want the cards but don't care about the number and he wants too much I think.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I want those cards because they are 24 cards, but the prices are insane. I tried to work out a deal with that guy for a couple years, but that was years and years ago and I'm over it now. It's like the phases of card collecting (for me at least), start out thinking you're going to get every card, then eventually you realize that you can't get every card so you focus on just the cards you really want, and soon you realize that even some of those you just aren't ever going to get. When I was just starting to get really into the 24's I tried to get some from fellow collectors, some of whom just will not give them up. That's cool, I gotta live with it. The good thing with the 4040man is all of his 24's are from the era where my 24 collection is the weakest. To some people that would make them want them more, but I want more 24's from the sets where I have like 10 24's in 1 set. So... I don't even need that guy's 24's! Take that guy.

hofautos said:
my favorite card just sold....for the $395 opening bid.
anyway, now that my favorite card sold, it's just a matter of time before i let all my other cards go....its been fun... but i think this is the last time...

The last time for what? Are you getting rid of ALL of your cards and completely quitting collecting? Or just Rickey? I got lost...

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I do want the cards, but not because they are 24. He thinks they are worth a ton more because they are 24. Maybe they are to you or someone else, but I can't justify the extra price. His prices are already high, which I respect him for asking since Rickey is the greatest, but people aren't paying those prices. Some of those cards are pretty rare too. I know /100, but you don't sewe them often. He usually won't offer a discount price if you buy more than one either. I think of John (which he is a great guy) as the Burbank of Rickey collectors.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I know this guy named Ken who can come up with jersey number cards like you would not believe. I don't know where he finds them all, I suspect he may have figured out a way to make them. :shock: Maybe we should see if he can "find" us some Jose C's that are #33/xx. Then we'll put them up on ebay for $1,000 each, and see if he'll work out a trade....

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
RL24 said:
I know this guy named Ken who can come up with jersey number cards like you would not believe. I don't know where he finds them all, I suspect he may have figured out a way to make them. :shock: Maybe we should see if he can "find" us some Jose C's that are #33/xx. Then we'll put them up on ebay for $1,000 each, and see if he'll work out a trade....

Umm...err Great idea Ryan. I will get right to work on that.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Does anyone ever wonder how many Rickey serial'd cards are still sitting in boxes somewhere unopened? There are a lot of card /100 or higher I've never seen. I think I have only seen 1 or 2 Sheer Dominance Titanium. They were /100, but I have seen 10 or so Mirror Gold bat cards /25. Doesn't make sense. Also the 02 Originals embossed and 03? Topps buybacks.....some were low print runs, but I still have only seen a handful of them total.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I have wondered plenty about cards I need sitting in a box in a warehouse somewhere... or even worse, there are cool dads who buy their kids a pack of cards on the way home from work, no matter how age appropriate it is for their kid. So that 1/1 you've been waiting for all these years could be in the bottom of a toy box. :x OK, I better not start thinking about it! :lol:

My theory on the '98 #/100 vs '02 #/25... well, were you on ebay in 1998? I wasn't, for all I know 40 or so went through ebay after the product came out. I doubt it though, because baseball cards weren't as popular in '98 as they were in '02, and the ebay card show really boomed around '02, from what I understand. It's weird, there are a lot of people who collected when they were kids, got out, and got back into it around 2002. With a bunch more people ripping wax and selling the hits on ebay in 2002, it made those #/25 cards much easier to find. Not much cheaper though! #/25 was still pretty rare and valuable when 2002 rolled around. I also think with your example, there were a whole lot more packs produced on the 1998 product. Hitting that Rickey Mirror Gold was probably statistically easier than pulling the Sheer D ***. Sounds like a pretty sexy card if you abbreviate it right!

The 2003 Topps Vintage Embossed is a really tough hit for the same reason, a trillion packs, PLUS that one is hard to identify. I bet that most of those live in common boxes right next to the worthless cards that came in the box. Lots of people didn't even know they existed, and the crowd I was hanging out with then was on the Topps MB. Don't know much about the 02 Originals embossed........ I do know that the 1988 45 version #/10 sold on eBay at some point for $96. Helpful? :lol:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
RL24 said:
I have wondered plenty about cards I need sitting in a box in a warehouse somewhere... or even worse, there are cool dads who buy their kids a pack of cards on the way home from work, no matter how age appropriate it is for their kid. So that 1/1 you've been waiting for all these years could be in the bottom of a toy box. :x OK, I better not start thinking about it! :lol:

My theory on the '98 #/100 vs '02 #/25... well, were you on ebay in 1998? I wasn't, for all I know 40 or so went through ebay after the product came out. I doubt it though, because baseball cards weren't as popular in '98 as they were in '02, and the ebay card show really boomed around '02, from what I understand. It's weird, there are a lot of people who collected when they were kids, got out, and got back into it around 2002. With a bunch more people ripping wax and selling the hits on ebay in 2002, it made those #/25 cards much easier to find. Not much cheaper though! #/25 was still pretty rare and valuable when 2002 rolled around. I also think with your example, there were a whole lot more packs produced on the 1998 product. Hitting that Rickey Mirror Gold was probably statistically easier than pulling the Sheer D ***. Sounds like a pretty sexy card if you abbreviate it right!

The 2003 Topps Vintage Embossed is a really tough hit for the same reason, a trillion packs, PLUS that one is hard to identify. I bet that most of those live in common boxes right next to the worthless cards that came in the box. Lots of people didn't even know they existed, and the crowd I was hanging out with then was on the Topps MB. Don't know much about the 02 Originals embossed........ I do know that the 1988 45 version #/10 sold on eBay at some point for $96. Helpful? :lol:

I started eBay in 99, and yes I had to lie to say I was 18. I hate to think of a little kid destroying some serial'd Rickey's too. I have thought about the embossed cards getting overlooked and sitting in a common box. Some lucky guy out there probably scored some for $.25! Makes me want to go out and buy all the commons I see. But knowing my luck I would get just that, commons! The rationale does make sense fofr the wax too, less people interested meant less product opened. I would love to come across someone that was ripping a huge stash they came across!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Maybe it's because you're so young that you found ebay so early in life. I barely knew anything about the internet in 1999. I still thought it was a fad that would go away, like 8-tracks. :shock: :lol:

I kid, I actually did the computer stuff at my job. You know, like check the company email because all the emails came to one address. All 3 of them. And I maintained the website. w00t! I was into guitars back then, way too grown up for baseball cards. ;)

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Taliasen said:

[ebay:13oc29g3]260919660511[/ebay:13oc29g3]
$(KGrHqRHJCME63(5EJg2BO8,84Oz)!~~60_12.JPG

He doesn't mention what color the one in the active auction is, but in completed listings looks like there is a black and a cyan. So this one must be magenta or yellow. Or fake. Or two of those options, one of the colors and fake.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
So I was digging through some files at work, and came across a client who lives in Henderson, CO. That really cought my eye, although the fact that she lives on Oakland Drive probably added to it. Seeing "Oakland" and "Henderson" like that... couldn't miss it. I did a little google map search, and guess what's on Oakland Drive? The baseball field!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=oakland+d ... 0&t=m&z=14

Wow, well when I followed the link, google says it's in a place called Commerce City. If you zoom out one notch, you can see the town is labeled Henderson. And if you zoom in a bunch, you can see the ball field...

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
DavidEich said:
Taliasen said:
They bought out Fleer warehouse pile of stuff after Fleer went under, I think they have sold around 40-50 Hendersons so far, maybe more, and by the way I think you owe me an apology.

David, so you think these plates are legit and made by Fleer? I've always thought so, but have read so many opinions to the contrary that I find myself doubting these days... Have you ever seen them sell the same plate/same color twice?

DavidEich

Dec 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
RL24 said:
DavidEich said:
Taliasen said:
They bought out Fleer warehouse pile of stuff after Fleer went under, I think they have sold around 40-50 Hendersons so far, maybe more, and by the way I think you owe me an apology.

David, so you think these plates are legit and made by Fleer? I've always thought so, but have read so many opinions to the contrary that I find myself doubting these days... Have you ever seen them sell the same plate/same color twice?

Although I think I missed getting the pics of a few, every one of these thta has gone up for sale is listed on my site, and I haven't really noticed if they are putting the colors on the listing but they were not listing colors when they first started. That being said, to keep track I have only listed the ones that have gone up for sale. Usually I would assume 4 for each card. They have NOT listed more than 4 of any card in the series. RJew has purchased almost all of them, at least what Ive noticed and I do trust his opinion, so just the fact that he has continued to buy them is good enough for me. Because Fleer never seized the opportunity to sell these I am sure they lack any ID other then the sellers figuring out what set they are from. I have caught a few mistakes on their part only proves they lack card expertise not integrity.

I believe they are from what Taiwan or something, right. Well in my experience the foreign ebay sellers are far more trustworthy then many of the greedy BS artists here in this great country of ours. I have never had a problem with a foreign seller. I believe they are under far more gov't scrutiny where fraud is concerned.

I dont have any of them, BUT I did bid on that one, pretty low bid, So if you guys all leave it for me, HAHA, More info when I recieve it. Hope this helps.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys,
Wondering if any of you would have an estimate on sell value for this. It's numbered 5/5.

Rickey487.jpg

Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts