Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I posted a response in that thread about why this plate error makes me think the plates from Taiwan are actually real after all....

Braden, I don't look at eBay these days, but I would guess ~$100. They peaked at $150 when they came out, dipped to $60 a few years later, and settled in at ~$100 forever thereafter. Unless something has changed.... I presume that you looked for a completed one on ebay? I know they are #/5, but my oh my are there a bunch of them! 5 different kinds of autos, and 5 different teams. 25 versions, all #/5. The good old days....

DavidEich, thanks for the informative post! I believe somebody here (maybe Brad?) snagged one of those plates for the opening $9.99 bid once...

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I just got this in. Beckett has it listed as a Padres card so I bought it off Beckett marketplace but he's in a Red Sox uni. Looking for Padres in return. Preferably Gwynn, Henderson, Hoffman or any wants on my Caminiti list.

2003 Playoff Prestige Player Collection #41 Rickey Henderson Bat

DavidEich

Dec 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
ManOfSteal said:
This is interesting: http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewt ... 2&t=153957

"Gozalez" was spelled wrong on the plate, but not on the actual card. Seems to lean towards them being fakes?

Brad in that discussion about the plates, the card shown was not the same card, and later in that discussion the Gonzalez guy showed the card with the error. If I had any of the rickeys it would help but I dont.

How about this, Fake or Not, we all have unlicensed cards in our collections, they would not be complete without them, so if they are fake, they still exist, are very hard to get, and are high quality, Each of us as individuals can decide to buy or not, either way they will still go on my checklist, as 1/1, None of us will ever have them all, so the people who have them, may be getting great stuff or might not. Oh well.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I just posted something similar. I still tend to think they're real, but even if they aren't, they are still valuable. Out of my price range, for sure!

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
DavidEich said:
ManOfSteal said:
This is interesting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153957

"Gozalez" was spelled wrong on the plate, but not on the actual card. Seems to lean towards them being fakes?

Brad in that discussion about the plates, the card shown was not the same card, and later in that discussion the Gonzalez guy showed the card with the error. If I had any of the rickeys it would help but I dont.

How about this, Fake or Not, we all have unlicensed cards in our collections, they would not be complete without them, so if they are fake, they still exist, are very hard to get, and are high quality, Each of us as individuals can decide to buy or not, either way they will still go on my checklist, as 1/1, None of us will ever have them all, so the people who have them, may be getting great stuff or might not. Oh well.

I've been following the conversation, and I did see that a different version of the card was later posted. I didn't realize at first that one was the base and one was the g/u. Ryan has a good memory, as I did actually pick one up a while ago. I think it was the 1st one listed, and I got it for about $10. I think everyone was a little sketchy about it, but I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price. Then next one sold for about $85, and they haven't gone done much since then.

02FleerTradPlate1.jpg

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

Was visiting my mom over the holidays and found a stack of baseball magazines that she wanted to recycle. I took a look through them (mostly 1990's baseball season previous magazines from Street & Smith's, SI, etc) and found one that I thought someone here might like. It's the program from an August 1988 Yankees vs Blue Jays game I went to with my dad, sister, and a family friend (Jays won 6-3!).

[center:3amuktrq]
001.jpg
[/center:3amuktrq]

It's not exactly mint condition; the cover's spine is worn and has been taped in a couple of places. The scorecards inside haven't been written on, but I did attempt the crossword many years ago but didn't get very far! :)

If anyone wants it, just PM me your address and it's your's.

- Rod

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
If you get it, write a blog about it! w00t!

I don't know if it's helpful, but... in an attempt to be helpful... at work I have a few tabs saved as the home page, so whenever I open the internet it brings up a google search for "rickey henderson collectibles" and before I navigate onto some boring health insurance website, I click on your site. But it's always the same old post. :(

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
RL24 said:
If you get it, write a blog about it! w00t!

I don't know if it's helpful, but... in an attempt to be helpful... at work I have a few tabs saved as the home page, so whenever I open the internet it brings up a google search for "rickey henderson collectibles" and before I navigate onto some boring health insurance website, I click on your site. But it's always the same old post. :(

That would be a novel idea Ryan, more than 2 posts per year, lol! Sorry about the blog, it has definitely gotten neglected recently. I do have a bunch of things I could post, I just never get around to it. It's easier just to post all of my pictures here :)

Now, as for our trade... ;)

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ManOfSteal said:
Now, as for our trade... ;)

:lol:

Yeah, but only one person is counting on that trade to go down... well I guess maybe two.

There are hundreds of thousands of Rickey fans out there dying for the next installment!! Well, at least... more people than two. ;)

I would promise to work on it soon, but meh, who would believe me?

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I am counting for it to go down, because progress with him means we can work on ours next!

I wanted to ask you guys about the 2001 King of Kings set. Do any of you guys have the whole thing completed? You never ever see the Chrome 3 player refractor /5 or the /10 Henderson either. These must've been a tough pull I am guessing.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
rickeyfanatic said:
I am counting for it to go down, because progress with him means we can work on ours next!

I wanted to ask you guys about the 2001 King of Kings set. Do any of you guys have the whole thing completed? You never ever see the Chrome 3 player refractor /5 or the /10 Henderson either. These must've been a tough pull I am guessing.

Or they are in a box somewhere. I have the regular Topps and the Chrome with a patch. None of the ones with other players either.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
rickeyfanatic said:

Damn. I thought I had a pretty good explanation going there, but it's ruined now. If you look at it that way.... so many people are waiting on the Brad/Ryan trade.

Alright alright alright, I'll bump it up to my #1 free time priority.... maybe.

rofl.gif

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Hendersonfan said:
Opinions?
[ebay:fbu5jmkj]160713696598[/ebay:fbu5jmkj]

I saw that last night, and am going to have to go with fake! All of the ones that I've ever seen have been one giant plain jersey swatch, which actually ticked off people at the time. I haven't seen any with even a colored patch, let alone a crazy elephant logo!

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
rickeyfanatic said:

The refractor #/10 can be yours for only $324.95 :)
http://marketplace.beckett.com/item/21/ ... _77480475#

Here's some more info:

This insert is a complete parallel of the Chrome King of Kings insert set produced with Topps patented refractor technology. The first three cards were randomly inserted exclusively into first series hobby packs at 1:16,920. Cards 5 and 6 were randomly seeded exclusively into second series hobby packs at a rate of 1:23,022. Card number 4 in the set (intended to feature Mark McGwire) was never produced. Only ten of each card was printed and each is hand-numbered in thein blue pen on back. Please note that a special "Golden Edition" card containing game-used memorabilia of Aaron, Ryan and Henderson was inserted into first series hobby packs at a rate of 1:212,169. Only 5 copies of this card were produced. Card backs carry a "KKR" prefix.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
RL24 said:
rickeyfanatic said:

Damn. I thought I had a pretty good explanation going there, but it's ruined now. If you look at it that way.... so many people are waiting on the Brad/Ryan trade.

Alright alright alright, I'll bump it up to my #1 free time priority.... maybe.

rofl.gif

Honestly, get to it whenever you can Ryan. As I know you can clearly see based on the updates to my blog, I'm not really on top of things either!

But, that doesn't mean that others get to skip in line, lol!

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
[/quote]The refractor #/10 can be yours for only $324.95 :)
http://marketplace.beckett.com/item/21/ ... _77480475#

Here's some more info:

This insert is a complete parallel of the Chrome King of Kings insert set produced with Topps patented refractor technology. The first three cards were randomly inserted exclusively into first series hobby packs at 1:16,920. Cards 5 and 6 were randomly seeded exclusively into second series hobby packs at a rate of 1:23,022. Card number 4 in the set (intended to feature Mark McGwire) was never produced. Only ten of each card was printed and each is hand-numbered in thein blue pen on back. Please note that a special "Golden Edition" card containing game-used memorabilia of Aaron, Ryan and Henderson was inserted into first series hobby packs at a rate of 1:212,169. Only 5 copies of this card were produced. Card backs carry a "KKR" prefix.[/quote]

Well he must be asking that much for a reason no? If nobody has one, and has never seen one, maybe he's got the market cornered? What would you guys reasonably pay for that?

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
rickeyfanatic said:
Well he must be asking that much for a reason no? If nobody has one, and has never seen one, maybe he's got the market cornered? What would you guys reasonably pay for that?

Yes, and no, lol! It's a Burbank card, and they are notorious for pricing their cards well above their actual value. But, they do have a lot of cards that you really can't get anywhere else, and if you know what to look for, you can get some "deals." That being said, if this was actually listed on eBay, I could see it selling for $200+

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I have bought from him many times, i realize he is high on some items, but if its a tough issue, and it were to go on ebay, i expect to pay a premium. I guess it comes down to whats it worth to the individual.

Members online