Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
I keep all my normal sized cards in a penny sleave within a top loader and then put it within a card bag. I then store them in 3000 count shoe boxes as shown in the picture.

The PSA cards i never submitted but have always just purchased. I truly believe that you will not get a good grade no matter how good it looks unless you are a repeat customer like 4 sharp corners.

I think PSA is more reputible and Beckett is a crock based on all of the bogus grades they have given recently to the Strasburgs and such. I also like be able to catalog the PSA cards on their registry.

DSC_0514640x427.jpg

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
rickey5191 said:
I keep all my normal sized cards in a penny sleave within a top loader and then put it within a card bag. I then store them in 3000 count shoe boxes as shown in the picture.

The PSA cards i never submitted but have always just purchased. I truly believe that you will not get a good grade no matter how good it looks unless you are a repeat customer like 4 sharp corners.

I think PSA is more reputible and Beckett is a crock based on all of the bogus grades they have given recently to the Strasburgs and such. I also like be able to catalog the PSA cards on their registry.

DSC_0514640x427.jpg

That's quite the assortment. Are they all in order? Can you just go to a spot and say, "Oh yeah, that card is right here."? If so, then impressive, most impressive. ;)

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hendersonfan said:
Obviously some of you guys have graded cards. Have you submitted them yourselves? What is entailed? Who is better?

Pro's & Con's of each would be great.

1 man's opinion:

Grading is a scam to get your money. :lol:

There are some positives to it. For example, if you see a vintage card in a reputable slab, you know there is a good chance that it's real, and that it hasn't been altered. It's definitely not 100%, so it can't really be seen as that great of a thing. I mean, if you dished out a few million dollars for a certain Honus Wagner that was graded, but later you found out it was actually a trimmed card, you'd be pretty disappointed with the whole grading process. You wouldn't be thinking about what a great job they did on the 100 graded cards you have that ARE legit. They give people false confidence, which can be a terrible thing.

Top 3 Reasons I Think Grading is a Sham...

#1. Sub Bumps. Your card is a 9, but if you give us 20 more dollars, we'll make it a 9.5. ~that seems pretty legit.~

#2. Gretzky's Wagner. The internet was born, and people started buying cards without being able to examine them. Some guys thought grading would be the perfect solution. People could buy their cards online with 100% confidence that the card was real and not altered. Great plan! PSA is born. Now, they just needed to get their name out there. What to do? There were lots of solutions, but their solution of knowingly grading a trimmed card was not the best one, IMO.

#3. Beckett Mafia. What a racket these guys have going. They grade the cards. They determine the value of graded cards. Why isn't a PSA 10 worth as much as a BGS 10? DUH! Sometimes I wonder about my fellow human beings. If Topps purchased Beckett, and all of a sudden all Topps cards were worth a bunch and all other cards were worth much less, wouldn't somebody say something? Maybe think that these BVs aren't really real? (Well, part of this issue might be that my fellow collectors already know and understand that the BV's are real anyway, so who cares who's making them up?) Yet in all my years in this hobby, the only person who ever mentioned this- Beckett determining the value of graded cards is retarded- was my LCS guy. The guy that taught me that grading is a sham.

I should also add #3b, now that I've read a post above mine.... "I truly believe that you will not get a good grade no matter how good it looks unless you are a repeat customer like 4 sharp corners." This is true. And scammy!!!!

I know that you can make a lot of extra money by grading certain cards before selling them. I don't think I own any cards like that. The only Rickey I can think of would be the Chong. With the RC, it has to be pretty damn mint to make up the cost of grading. To me a PSA 8 is awefully mint. I have a few and can't really notice any noticable flaw on them. A PSA 8 sells for $40, but a real nice ungraded Rickey can sell for $35.55... [ebay:hvntnwb5]230632188703[/ebay:hvntnwb5] If that one is a PSA 8, that guy saved a lot of money and hassle by just selling it raw.

If I personally got a card graded, I would choose PSA because of the registry, although there aren't too many Rickey PSA registry nuts that I know of. Perry Andrews is the only one I know, and he quit doing it I think.

At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

Wow, it took a long time to write that. Meantime other people replied. I hit reply and walked away. Just came back a couple hours later and see it was never submitted.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I'm not a huge fan of grading, but the Chong I can reason with. If your going to put down the cash, it better be a great version. I have cut 2 autos out of their slabs, both BGS 8.5's but I didn't buy them because they were slabbed, bought them because they were priced correctly and the Slabs didn't fit my monster boxes!

I keep all my auto's in 1 touch magnetics, all my patches in 1 screws, all the cards BV 20 or above are penny sleeved, hard plastic, and team bagged. All others are penny'd and hard plastic'ed. I would like to think they are organized the proper way, by the checklist. Easy to find any card from any year....

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So maybe I won't get them graded. If it's hard to get higher than an 8 then it's pretty pointless. I have 4-5 that look pristine and a grade won't add an value to them for me. I guess I was just curious what they would get and slabbed would be a nice protector as well. I guess the 1/2" 4 screw lucite holders will protect them just fine and when displayed will all look uniform. I've always shyed away from graded cards because I want the seller to determine the price, not some other company who says what it should be worth. I always thought Rickey cards were undervalued. If anyone has checked out the $1M card thread you'll see that: A) Rickey cards are still undervalued 2) Other users are on crack if they think their cards are worth some of those prices.

On a similar note, what is a Rickey rookie worth? Ungraded. I have 7 since one says Reprint on the back (I bought knowing this). I also have a 79 TCMA that is very slightly OC.

Where can the big white boxes be had? I want to get a display case for my higher end cards and such or I might make one as a few buddies are good with woodworking.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Right on Brian, I'm excited!!

About the raw Rickey RC, just look in completed listings on ebay, there are a bunch. It really depends on the condition. It's funny, I don't think they are very special. To me, a Mirror Emerald would be worth about 10 Rickey RCs. In fact, if you wanted to give me the 10 RCs, I might not want to give you the Mirror Emerald. And if I had 100 RCs, I would trade them for a Chong. They are just too common.

That Ginter IS sweet!

Those people are on crack, I noticed that myself. At least 5 times I thought "you should have taken that offer and RAN!!!" :lol:

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I know most of you have seen them, but these are the boxes I keep my collection in:

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

They are really cool, a friend made them for me. They would be better if I was smarter and had 6 made at once, but I had 3 made, filled them up quickly, then had 3 more made. They don't quite match, and don't fit together that well. The bottoms of each fit into the tops of each, so I can stack them in any order I like. They fit BGS holders nicely. When empty they weight about 10 pounds each... when filled with cards, at least 1.5 tons each. :cry: :lol: I actually have no idea on the actual weight when empty, just that they are pretty light. When they are full you can throw your back out trying to find that card to scan.

When I had them made, they had nice cardboard graded card holders, but just the 1 row variety. I would have needed at least 24 to house the Rickey collection alone. Wish they had those 3000 Ct ones, I could have saved a bunch of money. And my back probably wouldn't hurt like it does. :lol:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So I'll work on the 24 cards as I dig them out. Did find one I didn't realize I had.

Something I would like from everyone......What all Star Ad, Promo, etc are there? Can we get pics? I'll take a pic of the ones I have and would like to see what ones I'm missing. I think I heard there are 17? I have 10.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
First of all...welcome all the newcomers. I see they've sparked an interest in the thread. Awesome. Secondly, I finally got my 2010 eTopps and more importantly my 2010 Topps Sterling redemption card 5CCAR-57 "Career Chronicles Counting from 1 to 3,000" Sorry for the bad photo, but it was taken with my crackberry and I don't have time to dig up the scanner.

IMG00067-20110627-2058.jpg

I also just recently picked up doubles of these Rickeys if anyone needs them in trade:
  • 2004 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Spectrum Silver #108 (#/100) (Dodgers)
    2005 Donruss Studio Studio Portraits #SP-82 (Red, Color portrait, "Donruss Zenith" promo) (#/60)
    2005 Donruss Studio Studio Portraits #SP-82 (White, Color portrait, "Donruss Diamond Kings" promo) (#/60)

Tal, I'll get you the shipping quote tomorrow night. Sorry I've been swamped and can't get to package it up and weigh it.

And I know we've had a post on the Star Promos before. Maybe it was on the old blogsite. :cry: Anyway, here's the ones that I have (and I have pics, but David Eich's site probably has the same ones):

• 1990 Star Company Gold Promo (shown in Yankees uniform, blank back) (300 made)
    1990 Star Company Nova Promo (100 made) (yellow back, in A's uniform, sliding into 2nd base)
    1990 Star Company Nova Promo (blank yellow back, sliding back to first base, w/ Fred McGriff)
    1990 Star Company Promo Blue (blank back) (swinging)
    1990 Star Company Promo Green (blank back) (running)
    1990 Star Company Promo Green (blank back) (swinging)
    1991 Star Company Ad Card (no year) (green top to yellow bottom)
    1991 Star Company Ad Card Plastic (no year) (green top to yellow bottom)
    1991 Star Company All-Star Promo (100 made)
    1991 Star Company Home Run Promo (300 made)
    1991 Star Company Nova Promo (100 made)
    1991 Star Company Platinum Promo (200 made)
    1991 Star Company Silver Promo (400 made)
    1991 Star Company Stellar Promo (100 made)
    1992 Star International Ad Card (Star '92, "1987 Thru '91 Stats", Oakland)
    1993 Star International Ad Card (Star '93, "Career Stats" but stats only go from '87 to '91)

I think Larry has a few more too. I could never nail down if there is a 1990 Star Company Silver set, or a 1988 Star Co. Nova Promo (I have the set)

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Yeah, I know there was a post about the Star promos but I don't know which page its on and didn't want to sort thru 100 pages. Is there a way to flag a post or bookmark?

Ok, so I scanned the ones I have and this is what I have come up with. Please tell me if wrong and I'll correct them. L to R row 1, 2, 3
88 Nova Promo, 90 Nova Promo, 91 Nova Promo, 91 Silver Promo, Green Star Promo running, Green Star Promo running Glossy Green/Yellow Ad Card, Green/Yellow Ad Card Glossy, 91 Platinum Promo, Blue Star Promo, Blue Star Promo Glossy, Green Star Promo hitting, 90 Gold Promo.

DSCI0698-1.jpg
Hard to tell, but regular top, glossy bottom
DSCI0721-1.jpg

Need:
91 All Star Promo
91 Home Run Promo
91 Stellar Promo
92 Promo Card
93 Promo Card

If any info is wrong or years for ones not listed let me know. What about this plastic promo? Is it the same picture? What is the difference? What all sets are there? Print runs? Is there a promo for each set? Are there more sets? *= I have promo I have the following:
88 Nova - /unknown*
90 Gold - /1500*
90 Nova - /500*
90 Yellow - /unknown
91 All Star - /500
91 Home Run - /1500
91 Nova - /500*
91 Platinum - /1000*
91 Silver - /2000*
91 Stellar - /500
91 Yellow - /unknown

DSCI0699.jpg
DSCI0706.jpg
DSCI0707.jpg
DSCI0708.jpg
DSCI0710-1.jpg
DSCI0711-1.jpg
DSCI0712.jpg
DSCI0713.jpg
DSCI0714-1.jpg
DSCI0717-1.jpg
DSCI0718-1.jpg

What about these cards, who knows anything about them? I know one is a Caramel something or other, seen it listed before.
DSCI0702-1.jpg
DSCI0704.jpg
DSCI0705.jpg

Some auto's I dug out. Not star players, but all real. Payton and Abbott are from my hometown. Omar and Chad came for an Indians Luncheon Tour back in 95 or so.
DSCI0700-1.jpg
DSCI0701-1.jpg

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Leffer said:
So, I guess I have 15 of these. Hopefully someone can post pics of the others that I don't have. :D

Pictures shown at bottom of this post in order from top to bottom:
1990 Star Company Gold Promo (shown in Yankees uniform, blank back) (300 made)
1990 Star Company Nova Promo (blank yellow back, shown with Fred McGriff)
1990 Star Company Promo Blue (blank back, swinging) (apparently I need to check to see if this is glossy or not)
1990 Star Company Promo Green (blank back, running) (apparently I need to check to see if this is glossy or not)
1990 Star Company Promo Green (blank back, swinging) (apparently I need to check to see if this is glossy or not)
1991 Star Company Ad Card (no year, green top to yellow bottom) (apparently I need to check to see if this is glossy or not)
1991 Star Company All-Star Promo (100 made)
1991 Star Company Nova Promo (100 made)
1991 Star Company Platinum Promo (200 made)
1991 Star Company Silver Promo (400 made)
1991 Star Company Stellar Promo (100 made)

I have these, but don't have pictures to post at the moment
1991 Star Company Nova Promo (100 made) (yellow back, in A's uniform, sliding into 2nd base)
1991 Star Company Ad Card Plastic (no year) (green top to yellow bottom)
1991 Star Company Home Run Promo (300 made)
1993 Star International Ad Card (Star '93, "Career Stats" but stats only go from '87 to '91)

Don't Have, but know about
1988 or 1989 Star Nova Promo (pic posted to the board recently, although the jury is still out as to what year the card is)
1992 Star Co. Int'l 87-91 stat

Questionable....
1990 Star Silver Promo (and set)....does anyone know if this exists?

I've never seen or heard about the 90 Silver set/promo Scott

henderson939 said:
As far as Star Co. promos, I have the following.

1.1990 (green)
2. 1990 (green glossy)
3. 1990 (blue)
4. 1990 (blue glossy)
5. 1990 gold
6. 1990 nova
7. 1991 ad card
8. 1991 ad card glossy
9. 1991 ad card plastic
10. 1991 (green)
11. 1991 all-star
12. 1991 platinum
13. 1991 nova
14. 1991 home run
15. 1991 silver
16. 1991 stellar
17. 1992 Star Co. Int'l 87-91 stat
18. 1993 Star Co, Int'l career stats

19. 1988 nova
20. Scott mentioned another 90 Nova Promo

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
NICE KEN! Hahaha, I guess i've picked up the '92 Star since I posted that, but I still haven't checked to see if I have glossy versions or not. DOH! ::facepalm::

It wasn't me who unloaded a bunch of Star Promos. I don't know about you guys but i paid a hefty price for those back in the day, or at least it seemed that way. $20 here, $30 there. So stupid.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It wasn't your fault, there was no ebay yet! I got lucky, I was a kid in a poor family. All the money I might have wasted on cards went to gas and car insurance and stuff like that. And before that, GI Joes were so expensive, all my money went to those guys. If only I was smart and kept them nice, or even just kept them. Instead I blew them up with firecrackers once I outgrew them. Sigh. I remember there was one Rickey RC in town with a severely damaged corner. One corner was almost round. So they had it marked down to just $70. :lol: Man I wanted that thing so bad! Thank God Al Gore invented the internet...

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
You guys must all be really busy. I've been waiting for somebody to help Brian identify those mysterious cards. I know a couple...

DSCI0704.jpg

1989 Franklin Caramel Co. Series 2 7

Well, I have the pre-production sample, but... it's not on this list at work.

I did find this: 1991 Broder Dynasty Baseball Cards #3

I just called it Broder because I call all of those ghetto cards Broders. It helps me to keep them together on the list and in the boxes. I'm pretty sure it's not a Broder, and I just made the entire description up (as opposed to getting it from Beckett's list).

The other one, I dunno. It seems kind of... Venezuelan or something.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
RL24 said:
You guys must all be really busy. I've been waiting for somebody to help Brian identify those mysterious cards. I know a couple...

DSCI0704.jpg

1989 Franklin Caramel Co. Series 2 7

Well, I have the pre-production sample, but... it's not on this list at work.

I did find this: 1991 Broder Dynasty Baseball Cards #3

I just called it Broder because I call all of those ghetto cards Broders. It helps me to keep them together on the list and in the boxes. I'm pretty sure it's not a Broder, and I just made the entire description up (as opposed to getting it from Beckett's list).

The other one, I dunno. It seems kind of... Venezuelan or something.

I think that's right. I checked Dave's site and he had Venezualan, Dynasty and 89 Franklin. I didn't see the Topps sample anywhere on Beckett. So is it a legit release and they just missed it?

Members online