Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
They seem really odd to me too, I would also just prefer to have the non-numbered sample. Ryan, the eBay name doesn't look familiar, but there have been a lot of new Rickey collectors lately. It could also be a set collector, in which case they may not be as attached to the specific serial number.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I thougth RJew was out of collecting, but he was high bidder on one of the unnumbered sample cards.

Nope, he's definitely still collecting. I actually met him for the first time last week, and we had a nice talk. We live about 15 minutes away from each other, and he bought a high dollar card from me on eBay. Rather than risk the post office, we just met up in person. I think he may be getting a bit more selective, but still adding to the collection.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Nope, he's definitely still collecting. I actually met him for the first time last week, and we had a nice talk. We live about 15 minutes away from each other, and he bought a high dollar card from me on eBay. Rather than risk the post office, we just met up in person. I think he may be getting a bit more selective, but still adding to the collection.

You should ask him to see his collection, especially his ultra rare game used Beavers jersey... that would be awesome!

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Good 'ole RJew - his collection is probably the greatest out there. Would love to hear more about it. Funny how you live so close to him Brad, but just now met up?

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
Finally landed this one...

...although I think it's the "k" in Oakland instead of the "R" in Rickey. Pretty neat to see the middle seam of the game-used jersey.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Finally landed this one...

...although I think it's the "k" in Oakland instead of the "R" in Rickey. Pretty neat to see the middle seam of the game-used jersey.

Yes, K in Oakland. No other possible letter it could be. Name on back is not cursive. And the gray jersey means away, thus Oakland.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
img0001gn.jpg

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Hey guys, quick question about 1997 Select Samples #50. Is this the regular version or Select stamped with the sample on the back or is it this version from Ebay?>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320934009928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

How rare is this etched version/how many of you guys have it?

That's the only version I've ever seen, I don't think there is a regular "base" sample. When I first saw this listed, I thought, "dang, another 90's sample I need to track down," as I didn't remember seeing it with my other samples/inserts, which are all in toploaders. I had it checked off on my checklist, but figured that I had made a mistake along the way. However, when going through my binders of base cards, there it was (what a relief, lol)!

I don't remember picking it up, but it must have been around the time it was released, and I know I wouldn't have paid more than a few dollars for it at the time. Thinking about it, however, I don't remember one of these being on eBay anytime since I got back into collecting about 5 years ago. It could be that rare, I guess I just haven't been paying attention.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Interesting video from the recent National convention. I frequently get e-mails asking why Rickey won't sign bases, and now we know. I do wonder who'd have him sign a bullet though???

http://www.rickeyhendersoncollectibles.com/2012/08/rickey-will-sign-bras-and-shell-casings.html

Interesting video. I like his reasoning for not signing bases. This video debunks the widespread believe that he always refers to himself in the third person. Or maybe that was just when he was younger?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys, quick question about 1997 Select Samples #50. Is this the regular version or Select stamped with the sample on the back or is it this version from Ebay?>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320934009928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

How rare is this etched version/how many of you guys have it?

There are 3 versions of that card. The regular, the one pictured, and the one pictured with sample on the back. Samples are rare, but maybe $100 bucks rare. There are 2 blue versions too.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
The whole "Select Co." on the Blue version, was a mistake. it should have only been printed on the "etched cards", but was done on all of them. Most people dont realize that there a 2 versions.

Latest posts