Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Ebay buyer to block. Also have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
I sold a lot of Strasburg chrome and base rookies for a decent amount the day he made his debut and sent the cards out with delivery confirmation and insurance. The cards were scanned and was noted in the listing that there were no returns. I get an email today saying that the cards were not in good shape and he is sending them back. He is protected with paypal. There was nothing wrong with the cards. No print lines or anything. I put up a huge scan of all in the lot. What can I do so this tool doesn't scam me? I do not sell often but when I have never a problem. What can I do to protect myself? I think he just realizes he paid too much or can not flip the lot. The buyers name is the-sport-shack. His message is at the bottom. I replied back to him no refunds and the cards are his. Any advice is greatly needed.

Hello - I got the cards today, and they are not in great shape. I would like to return these items. Your page says no returns, but I am protected thru Paypal. They will go out next week. Thanks

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Your best bet is to tell the buyer you will return payment upon receipt of the cards and move on. No return policies are borderline useless on eBay. With various buyer protections in place a no return clause can only only serve to discourage returns but cannot prevent them. I proved this a few weeks ago when a seller sent me a card that was pretty beat up but didn't disclose significant flaws in the description. I sent the card back and eBay gave me my money back. This is what the buyer protection was designed for, not the apparent buyers remorse you are dealing with. Unfortunately there are some buyers out there who abuse this service. Some people here do not understand why modern cards are graded. This is one reason. It is hard for a buyer to argue about condition when a reputable third party can back you up.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
dreamerfan said:
I think he just realizes he paid too much or can not flip the lot.

Or he just wasn't happy with the product.

Personally, I stay away from sellers that state "no returns accepted" even though it does really mean nothing on ebay. It suggests to me that they are hiding something wrong with the card. Most people that can stand behind the quality of their product offer returns.

The only other places I know of that state no returns are those selling clearance items or custom made items.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
miguelcabrera said:
are we getting to the point where everyone has everyone on their block list and nobody can buy cards on ebay?

It seems that way. Apparently, anybody on here who says to block a buyer/seller is never in the wrong and the other side is just a moron.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Sucks to hear this Dreamerfan hope you can work something out

So what does not say he sends you cards he got from someone else and likes the condition of your cards. and since yours was more then he paid or the other ones he bought from someone else, thus maximizing his dollar and forcing you to refund him the most money he had paid. How do you know he is sending you the cards you sent him. He may even put in the package cards he had from pulls and is dumpy crappy condition cards on you and getting a full refund.

As for the other poster that says he stays away from people who don't offer returns, I don't offer returns because this has happened to me I sent out 3 cards and I scanned them front and back and when I got back what I though was my cards they were no where near the ones I sent, the ones returned to me were off-centered and even had lines on them. So this is why I try and list what is wrong with the cards in the auction but I'm not a professional grader and I state that in my listings.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Pine Tar said:
As for the other poster that says he stays away from people who don't offer returns, I don't offer returns because this has happened to me I sent out 3 cards and I scanned them front and back and when I got back what I though was my cards they were no where near the ones I sent, the ones returned to me were off-centered and even had lines on them. So this is why I try and list what is wrong with the cards in the auction but I'm not a professional grader and I state that in my listings.

Well, I probably shouldn't have said I do that all the time but it's definitely something I look for when the item description is awful such as "see scan for description" and nothing more and only has a front scan. If I was to run across an auction of yours in which you spend the extra minute to include both scans and actually list what is wrong (if any) with the card plus have good feedback? It wouldn't be reason for me to ignore your auctions.

It's the ones who spend minimal time on an auction, don't describe their item at all, and only have a front scan that I will ignore if they say no refunds. That's the type of thing that suggests to me that they may be hiding something. Not all, but I've heard enough about it to know it happens.

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
Here is the link to my cards that were sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

I have a solid scan of the front of the cards. He sent me a new message today stating

Hello - Condition is unclear from description. Most or off center, and the chromes have major surface issues. I assure you paypal will honor a return when a dispute is opened. All items are protected up to $2000. If feel they do not meet the quaility I am looking for. Thanks

My point is all the guy had to do was look at the scans and say well that one looks a little off center and buy from someone else. I am not a grader and from my naked eye did not see any surface issues. I understand what he is trying to do and that is grade and flip the lot. So I guess all who sell must take a jewelers loop and look at every inch of every card.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Just keep all emails from him so you have something to send to paypal...
He may say something that helps you win the case if he does put in a claim.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So why are people supposed to block this bidder?

You both state centering issues, ok fine, you both agree there. He also stated surface issues which other than print lines, you haven't addressed. It certainly isn't something that you would be able to tell with that scan and all the cards in top loaders. If anything, you could have very easily been trying to hide any issues with that scan and not disclosing the issues. It is very possible that you messed up on this one.

So, why should he be blocked? He hasn't been offensive and he has stated that he's going to send the cards back.

If anything, I'm finding a whole lot of sellers on this board NOT to buy from.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
You may have screwed yourself on this one if he makes a claim - Didn't see any reference in the text about condition.....so the only reference to condition is that you listed it as "Brand New". This is just speculation on my part - but I have been confused why seller's are using that as a Condition listing. I almost did the same with my auctions, and realized it's just leaving yourself open to problems. It stinks, but that is the only description to decide a claim from....and in that case the buyer would be able to say it does not meet that condition.

Not sure why others don't think this is a problem...because it seems they are not major flaws (roller marks, bent corners, or other major damage), so buyers should just be able to buy thousands of dollars of cards, get them inspect them and if they aren't going to grade out 9.5 or 10 (which is the minority) be able to demand a refund?

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
rymflaherty said:
You may have screwed yourself on this one if he makes a claim - Didn't see any reference in the text about condition.....so the only reference to condition is that you listed it as "Brand New". This is just speculation on my part - but I have been confused why seller's are using that as a Condition listing. I almost did the same with my auctions, and realized it's just leaving yourself open to problems. It stinks, but that is the only description to decide a claim from....and in that case the buyer would be able to say it does not meet that condition.

Not sure why others don't think this is a problem...because it seems they are not major flaws (roller marks, bent corners, or other major damage), so buyers should just be able to buy thousands of dollars of cards, get them inspect them and if they aren't going to grade out 9.5 or 10 (which is the minority) be able to demand a refund?
+1
He should be going to cards shows or card stores if he needs to inspect them or buy them graded (but that would defeat his purpose)...

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
you cant really tell much from the scan since it is 8 cards in a tiny little box. where it says sold as-is, no returns, as a buyer i probably would not bid on it. it kind of like buying a house. when you look at the info given and it says house sold as-is, that usually means bad news, it can be equated to cards as well, especially the no returns part. that can be construed as a problem.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
rymflaherty said:

In reference to the item being described as "brand new". The description for that itself says never removed from the manufacture's packaging. So in essence, the seller could really be screwing themselves over if a bad buyer sees it, wins, receives, and then makes a claim saying that the item is not as described because it was not in the manufacture's packaging.

*Pretty sure I misspelled "manufacture's" for all those that check those things.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
^
Yeah that's pretty much what I was figuring.
I know you can say it's silly and if you're buying cards you know "new" may mean new product and/or pack pulled and put right into a top loader mint/near mint/etc........but have to remember you're potentially dealing with ebay/paypal and their buyer protection policies. As I said it's just assumption on my part at this point, but from everything I've seen - if a claim was opened and that was the only reference to condition - I could see them going back to that wording and ruling in favor of the buyer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts