Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian McCann......Respect.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Just caught a minute of the Braves/Mets game and McCann steps up with runner on first no one out and a big shift on...and instead of trying to beat the shift by hitting through it, he selflessly lays down a push bunt to third base and the Mets didn't even have a play on it.

Gotta love that kind of unselfishness.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
andyduke86 said:
bunting for an easy hit is being unselfish?

yes because it makes you look 'weak' in the world of the locker room mentality.

he also walked off last night against my fish. Dude is for real.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
andyduke86 said:

A lot of guys are too concerned with hitting homeruns to take a free base for the good of the team. See Ryan Howard. See Barry Bonds.

It's refreshing to see someone putting their team above their own personal stats.

And guess what, if Howard would do this every now and then, maybe teams would think twice about shifting every time he steps to the plate, which would help him improve his average since he is a big pull hitter.

Perhaps a more obvious example of why this is unselfish is Mark McGwire in 1998. I remember seeing a team put on a shift against him and even in the midst of the homerun chase, McGwire hit two perfectly placed groudballs in two consecutive at bats to the left side for two easy singles. Helping his team win was more important than breaking what was (at the time) one of the most coveted records in all of sports.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Guy is a stud who will get the respect he deserves when people look back at his career and realize he was pretty much the best hitting catcher in the NL for years. He has made the All-Star game 5 years running, and while he's not Joe Mauer of Mike Piazza with the stick, at the position he's the best out there in the NL (we'll give Posey some time to prove otherwise.)

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
andyduke86 said:

A lot of guys are too concerned with hitting homeruns to take a free base for the good of the team. See Ryan Howard. See Barry Bonds.

It's refreshing to see someone putting their team above their own personal stats.

And guess what, if Howard would do this every now and then, maybe teams would think twice about shifting every time he steps to the plate, which would help him improve his average since he is a big pull hitter.

Perhaps a more obvious example of why this is unselfish is Mark McGwire in 1998. I remember seeing a team put on a shift against him and even in the midst of the homerun chase, McGwire hit two perfectly placed groudballs in two consecutive at bats to the left side for two easy singles. Helping his team win was more important than breaking what was (at the time) one of the most coveted records in all of sports.

I'm not so certain Bonds is the best example, considering the amount of walks he took (not talking intentional, of course). He could have easily swung for the fences instead of taking a pitch.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
ffgameman said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
andyduke86 said:

I'm not so certain Bonds is the best example, considering the amount of walks he took (not talking intentional, of course). He could have easily swung for the fences instead of taking a pitch.

I see what you're saying but still disagree because when he was swinging he was still swinging for the fences instead of taking the easy hit. Maybe not the best example, sure, but it still holds true. I wonder how many hits he lost because of trying to hit through the shift. That would be interesting to see.

Think about it though, if a player hits it to the hole maybe once or twice in a row, how can a team leave the shift on? I'd think that the player taking a free base would keep the defense honest. And if they keep shifting regardless, why not keep hitting balls to the gaping holes and bat .600 for the season?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
themag_YadierMolina.jpg
yadier-molina.jpg

22363085E.jpg

mlb_a_molina3_412.jpg

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
ffgameman said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":2exb6hz8]
andyduke86 said:

I see what you're saying but still disagree because when he was swinging he was still swinging for the fences instead of taking the easy hit. Maybe not the best example, sure, but it still holds true. I wonder how many hits he lost because of trying to hit through the shift. That would be interesting to see.

Think about it though, if a player hits it to the hole maybe once or twice in a row, how can a team leave the shift on? I'd think that the player taking a free base would keep the defense honest. And if they keep shifting regardless, why not keep hitting balls to the gaping holes and bat .600 for the season?[/quote:2exb6hz8]

I've never understood why more hitters who face defensive shifts don't do this. It keeps the defense honest and will get them out of the shift.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Topnotchsy said:
Guy is a stud who will get the respect he deserves when people look back at his career and realize he was pretty much the best hitting catcher in the NL for years. He has made the All-Star game 5 years running, and while he's not Joe Mauer of Mike Piazza with the stick, at the position he's the best out there in the NL (we'll give Posey some time to prove otherwise.)
Couldn't have said it better myself.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Sam Banks said:
mwashuc06 said:
McCann barring injuries will be a future HOFer IMO..

:benson:
its actually lookig like it. Averaging 20ish HR game, 5 straight all star appearance (Every full season). three silver sluggers and has been a key batter if not the anchor of the braves line up. If he keeps it up I can see it (because of his position). -especially if he stays entire years as a Brave

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
darocker80 said:
Sam Banks said:
mwashuc06 said:

its actually lookig like it. Averaging 20ish HR game, 5 straight all star appearance (Every full season). three silver sluggers and has been a key batter if not the anchor of the braves line up. If he keeps it up I can see it (because of his position). -especially if he stays entire years as a Brave

Yadi's got a better shot.

abravesfan

Aug 10, 2008
ho humm, .281/.388/.484 for a .873 OPS, 19 HRs, 70 RBIs, just another year for McCann

HOF talk is still way premature, he's going to have to put up some counting stats and catchers just do not age well, nor does he seem like the body type to break the mold. Still, he is only 26, if health goes his way he will have a chance to be one of the better offensive catchers of all times. Mauer definitely has overshadowed him, considering Mauer's offensive numbers outside of batting average are arguably comparable or even less impressive than McCann's

And Yadi for the hall is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile (probably since the last Sam post)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Sam Banks said:
darocker80 said:
[quote="Sam Banks":e0dytoks]
mwashuc06 said:

Yadi's got a better shot.[/quote:e0dytoks]

:|

I don't see either getting in.

Yadi's bat simply isn't there long term.

Brian won't stay healthy long enough to play catcher his entire career. He's too big for that. If you could combine Yadi and Heap, you would have the perfect backstop.

Members online

Latest posts