Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors 1500+ Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
predatorkj said:
Thumpersports said:
predatorkj said:
darrend505 said:
Just curious if it would be possible to get the percentages for everyone's player. I like to see the percentage of completion. Just a thought.

Nope.Not for me.I have too many cards that are not on beckett's recognized list so I don't really keep track that way.I figure I am at least close to 35%-40% of the way through but there is just way too much that I either know of or actually have that's not on the beckett list.I don't feel comfortable giving an actual percentage most of the time.

I'll agree with this. Im very close to redoing all my figures and removing samples/convention cards. WHY? because I dont trust the Beckett checklist. Ive collected 15-20 of said cards they dont even list, yet Ive never seen any they do.

If they show up, I'll buy them but I think Im going to rework my lists this week.

The other bad thing is like APRIMO mentioned...where the cards they do have listed sometimes add up to more than just that one card.Topps teks, moments and milestones etc.Hell...I probably have over 100 different Star cards alone beckett doesn't even touch.Plus the other oddballs.Its weird what beckett chooses and doesn't choose to recognize.Like its totally random or something.They don't even list the Diamond skills from fleer tradition.The gold hologram set from MJB holographics or the different versions of the autographs.Fleer patchworks had a patch I remember asking about before that they don't recognize.I have several sample cards they don't recognize.And several oddballs and documented variations.

Yeah, I forgot about the Topps Teks. So I guess that brings the total Biggios up to about 4120. I need to update my "have" spreadsheet. I've been keeping the "want" one up pretty well, but I've bought a bunch of cards lately and need to move them over. I also need to add a few I've received recently that aren't on Beckett's list.

I know what you mean about the Fleer Patchworks cards. I believe it is the 2003 set that had the problem where a bunch of patches were left out of the hobby boxes, so Fleer sent out a bunch of patches in single-card packs to the dealers, who were supposed to distribute them to their customers that had purchased boxes. I knew a dealer that still had several of those a couple of years ago and would sell them separately, and I bought a few of them. There were a couple of Biggio patches in that set that I acquired that were not on Beckett's list, so I contacted Beckett and got them added to the list.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I'm new on this board but I have been working on a Manny Ramirez collection for quite a while...
I am at 2,405 different Manny cards right now. Been slowing down as it is a bit frustrating looking at the (Beckett listing based) total list of cards I have out there and it is up around 6200 through 2008! So that puts me a hair shy of 40%. Been focusing on the earlier stuff as the checklists didn't quite mushroom until after 1996... I believe I have them all covered for 1991-1994, and single digits remaining for 1995.

I do have some nice runs of 2004 and 2005 Absolute Tools of the Trade and 2003 Leaf Limited (always looking to add autos from those runs) that I'll see if there's an appropriate board to post some pics on here.

There are some pretty sweet players set collectors on here- nice work guys!

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Reading nevermore's post gave me the idea of doing a similar thing to the 1500+ club. How about adding to this post a list of people with a certain percentage of their player's cards? Perhaps something like 60% and up (1/1 inclusive), broken down into groups of people who have 60, 70, 80 percent and so on.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
LWMM said:
Reading nevermore's post gave me the idea of doing a similar thing to the 1500+ club. How about adding to this post a list of people with a certain percentage of their player's cards? Perhaps something like 60% and up (1/1 inclusive), broken down into groups of people who have 60, 70, 80 percent and so on.

Not a bad idea but I wouldn't put much stock in percentage.Someone that collects Griffey or Ripken may have way more than I do of Bags but they also have twice as many cards to get and , in Griffey's case...the player is still playing.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
predatorkj said:
LWMM said:

Not a bad idea but I wouldn't put much stock in percentage.Someone that collects Griffey or Ripken may have way more than I do of Bags but they also have twice as many cards to get and , in Griffey's case...the player is still playing.

True, but those players have more total cards, making it easier to obtain 1500+; one could say that you shouldn't put much stock in sheer number, because for a player like Griffey or Ripken one can purchase scads of base cards to up one's number, especially with sets like Moments & Milestones. What would be really impressive would be 1500+ cards and a high percentage

Plusses and minuses to both ways of counting; I like both.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
LWMM said:
predatorkj said:
LWMM said:

True, but those players have more total cards, making it easier to obtain 1500+; one could say that you shouldn't put much stock in sheer number, because for a player like Griffey or Ripken one can purchase scads of base cards to up one's number, especially with sets like Moments & Milestones. What would be really impressive would be 1500+ cards and a high percentage

I guess I can start another one for % of player. What do you guys think? 75%? 80%? 85% start? I'd also like to put a cap on it say you had to have a minimum of at least X cards to collect since I know some players have double digit cards and thats it.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
I definitely have over 1500 different Bagwells but I don't have an accurate count. Probably 1700-2000 different and over 3500 total with doubles.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
onionring9 said:
LWMM said:
predatorkj said:
LWMM said:

I guess I can start another one for % of player. What do you guys think? 75%? 80%? 85% start? I'd also like to put a cap on it say you had to have a minimum of at least X cards to collect since I know some players have double digit cards and thats it.

I consider progress by my overall % minus 1/1's as opposed to total card #. I don't see any problem starting another thread with collectors percentage but I doubt many collectors have 75% of total production. Also I don't know how you draw a line at what number of cards "qualifies", in some ways it all seems a bit silly. I honestly don't care if a Griffey collector as 4000 base cards, it is still a player collection. I also don't care if a collector of Joe Smoe has 100% of all 25 cards, its still a player collection. Further breakdown of this just seems like unneeded work but it would be interested to see just as this thread is very interesting to browse every once in a while.

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
Well, a percentage thread like that could get controversial. Lots of questions will come up of what kind of cards count, i.e. do you count 1/1s, Broders, non-card items listed by Beckett, not to mention the whole Beckett good vs. evil thing that often comes up. But hey, try it and see what happens I guess. I think there will be plenty of people with great collections who don't have 75%, due to the enormous checklists of certain players. But if people enjoy it, that's cool.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
onionring9 said:

How about a 70% start, with divisions for 80 and 90 percent? I think 80% would be a really high baseline to use when including 1/1s, and I like the idea of steps of 10 (instead of 75, 80, 90 etc.)

As to checklists, I'd say mostly use your own discretion. A good idea would be to include whatever Beckett lists and anything else you know of, but there will always be exceptions.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
I thought for fun I would see what everyone on the 1500+ list was at going STRICTLY on numbers provided against BECKETT checklist. Obviously some of the numbers do include non beckett items boosting the %'s. I know the Gomez, Paul O'Neill, Butler, Santo collections are over the 70% mark off the top of my head and probably forgetting a few but other than that I would imagine the 70% mark will be a VERY short list.

Pete Rose 2,500 956 262%
Will Clark 3,001 2,589 116%
Mark McGwire 4,898 4,647 105%
Mark Grace 2,509 2,653 95%
Darin Erstad 2,099 2,358 89%
Omar Vizquel 1,860 2,201 85%
Eddie Murray 2,300 2,752 84%
Troy Glaus 3,000 3,995 75%
Eric Chavez 3,041 4,077 75%
Will Clark 1,750 2,589 68%
Jose Canseco 1,598 2,646 60%
Andre Dawson 1,500 2,505 60%
Hanley Ramirez 1,801 3,095 58%
Andruw Jones 3,425 6,290 54%
Tony Gwynn 3,708 7,257 51%
Cal Ripken Jr 6,187 12,261 50%
Mark McGwire 2,279 4,647 49%
Rickey Henderson 2,009 4,488 45%
Larry Walker 1,700 3,819 45%
Andruw Jones 2,640 6,290 42%
Jeff Bagwell 2,544 6,176 41%
Randy Johnson 3,013 7,751 39%
Frank Thomas 3,500 9,469 37%
Rickey Henderson 1,536 4,488 34%
Sammy Sosa 2,388 7,610 31%
Scott Rolen 1,674 5,718 29%
Tony Gwynn 2,054 7,257 28%
Mike Piazza 2,325 8,616 27%
Manny Ramirez 2,405 8,938 27%
Mike Piazza 1,800 8,616 21%
Ken Griffey Jr 2,313 11,871 19%
Nolan Ryan 1,742 9,022 19%
Alex Rodriguez 2,433 14,248 17%
Alex Rodriguez 2,352 14,248 17%
Cal Ripken Jr 1,720 12,261 14%

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
EricChavezCollector3 said:
I thought for fun I would see what everyone on the 1500+ list was at going STRICTLY on numbers provided against BECKETT checklist. Obviously some of the numbers do include non beckett items boosting the %'s. I know the Gomez, Paul O'Neill, Butler, Santo collections are over the 70% mark off the top of my head and probably forgetting a few but other than that I would imagine the 70% mark will be a VERY short list.

Yep, I agree the 70%+ list will be pretty short. My latest estimate on my Biggio collection is around 2500 different cards, which would put my percentage around 60%.

weegee

Aug 30, 2008
Maine
Thought I would add that I have 79.88% of Trot Nixon cards that are listed by beckett. Two more cards and I will be at 80%

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
...going STRICTLY on numbers provided against BECKETT checklist.

Frank Thomas 9,469

Am I reading this correctly?

There are nine-THOUSAND different cards of Thomas?!

:?

:lol:

:|

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
HawaiianLance said:
...going STRICTLY on numbers provided against BECKETT checklist.

Frank Thomas 9,469

Am I reading this correctly?

There are nine-THOUSAND different cards of Thomas?!

:?

:lol:

:|

Keep in mind, that is only the cards Beckett chooses to list. But yes, you're reading that correct. :lol:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Bigalbert has 2,500 more cards than me, but I have a higher percentage...does that make my collection better? :lol:

The whole "percentage" thing is interesting, but a pretty worthless guage for hard-core player collectors. IMO. In 20+ years of collecting, I have never once thought of what percentage I had, or would get. I once had a dream to stop at 3141 cards, but I can't stop. I just collect, and hope to always collect, now. But it is interesting to hear what others say. Even someone like Thumper or Ericchavez, it would be kind of a lost cause to go for a 100% since it will never happen. So do you set a goal of 90%?

No matter what percentage anyone gets, Bigalberts total # of a highly collectable and EXPENSIVE player (Ripken) will always be the ultimate to me!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
aprimo said:

Yep, I agree the 70%+ list will be pretty short. My latest estimate on my Biggio collection is around 2500 different cards, which would put my percentage around 60%.

The problem with doing this is that the beckett list falls short.We all agree on that at least.In some cases like the Rose Collection at the top of the list or the McGwire...by several hundred cards.I personally have close to if not more than 100 Bagwells that are not listed(most likely I am being generous and I have way more because I am not even facoting in Topps Tek and Star...yuck).So...you could easily erase my total numbers back down to around 2500 from where I am currently at (which is over 2600 different).But...then we get into the debate of what constitutes something that qualifies as a listable item.Like the McGwire collector says...there could easily be two lists or even three.A master list, beckett list and finally a oddball list for items such as keychains and whatnot.Now I personally don't count things like keychains or stuff like that.I do have a few Bagwell items that I don't count simply due to the fact that I just don't consider them anything to do with my card collection.Photoballs and magazines and even a Beckett issue featuring him on the cover.I actually got outbid on a TV guide that had him and Biggio on the cover a while back.But there are other things like the McFarlane action figures that are actually on Becketts list along with the SLU's.

At first I assumed that the SLU's were just for the cards that came with the action figure but after seeing the McFarlane figures on the list...I am not sure what to consider either.In any case I have them all (except for the White Jersey variant) so I figure tomatoes tomatoes(sounds better than it reads :cry: )... no matter what we are classifying them as.But the problem with percentages is we are all collecting on our own steam and under our own guidelines.I know we all value certain things over others.To me...anything I don't have is valuable to me.Some people like patches and autos(chavez collector has more autos than I will probably ever own of Bagwell)and still others like 1/1's but refuse to count them on their totals or towards their master list.

And honestly, its damn near impossible to catalog every single item depicting every player which is why I think Beckett just said screw it.Not that they maybe don't want to.But I think its more to do with the fact there is so much stuff out there, especially if you have a player who played in the 80's, that its impossible.Hell...Woolworth's had card sets for crying out loud!Back then everybody and their brother made cards because they were way more marketable back then as opposed to today.Which is why I have great and undying respect for collectors of guys who played during the 80's.You guys are pretty tough cookies IMO.

So this is why I don't like the percentage strategy.Its also why I don't currently give one in my sig.Its far easier and more accurate to just simply keep track of what you have.I stick pretty hard to the beckett checklist when it comes to what I say I have but I do account for variables outside of it.But nothing I own of Bagwell makes it onto my final count unless one of two things come into play.
1.It must be on the beckett checklist.
if not then...2.It must be a card and it must be legitimate.It can't be some custom job and it can't be something like a photoball or a keychain or a magazine or a book.

Now...I know we won't necessarily all agree on that aspect.That's fine.I also don't mind the percentage thing being thrown around either.But if I were any of you...I'd adhere to the knowledge that it is flawed no matter what simply due to the fact that one man's percentage is not everyone else's.That's why I like a more stable stat like the total number of whatever you have.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:

Bigalbert has 2,500 more cards than me, but I have a higher percentage...does that make my collection better? :lol:

The whole "percentage" thing is interesting, but a pretty worthless guage for hard-core player collectors. IMO. In 20+ years of collecting, I have never once thought of what percentage I had, or would get. I once had a dream to stop at 3141 cards, but I can't stop. I just collect, and hope to always collect, now. But it is interesting to hear what others say. Even someone like Thumper or Ericchavez, it would be kind of a lost cause to go for a 100% since it will never happen. So do you set a goal of 90%?

No matter what percentage anyone gets, Bigalberts total # of a highly collectable and EXPENSIVE player (Ripken) will always be the ultimate to me!

I use the beckett list to cross things off.After that becomes pretty barren with only impossible cards to find...I will keep collecting.That's my goal.That is the only reason it will ever come into play.I don't necessarily go by how much of a percentage of it I am done with because in the last couple of years some things have been added to it.I personally use it to make sure I am on track and don't buy doubles of things I don't need.But with all the different things out there...you could finish it off and still have things to collect.With a player like Ripken or Gwynn...not only will you be chasing the beckett list for years but there is enough out there of them to keep you chasing whether or not you were able to get 100% of the list or not.

As far as what you set a goal at...I personally don't like to have one particular number in mind.I guess my goal is to finish off the beckett list of course but really its just to keep collecting until I can look on ebay every day and never see something I don't have.With such lofty goals...its better not to worry about the bigger picture since it will most likely never be complete anyways.Better to just enjoy the chase itself.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I don't really care that much about the percentage for two reasons. First, like you guys mentioned, there are a lot of cards not recognized by Beckett. I've got 100+ Venezuelan cards alone that aren't listed! But secondly, all the printing plates and stupid 1/1's from 2005 Diamond Kings skew the figures for me. I have to assume that most collector's would rather have an Ultra Masterpiece Collection rather than a 2005 Diamond Kings Framed whatever 1/1. Speaking percentages, over 11% of the Beckett-recognized cards for Vizquel are printing plates, 2005 DK 1/1's, and 2008 Memorable Moments 1/1's.

Ultimately none of it matters to me, as I just want to pick up every card I reasonable can. But I do think about it occasionally. Overall I've got more than 2,200 different Vizquel cards of varying types. It is neat though, to look and see that of the 2,207 Beckett-recognized cards, I've got 1,860+, or over 84%. That feels pretty good!

The number I pay closest attention to is the number of cards I could and should reasonably target. I'm not going to lose any sleep over the cards I mentioned above. If you take those out of the equation, you get my number- I'm missing about 65 cards.

Members online

Latest posts