Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors 1500+ Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
Tony Gwynn 3,708 7,257 51%
Cal Ripken Jr 6,187 12,261 50%

Bigalbert has 2,500 more cards than me, but I have a higher percentage...does that make my collection better? :lol:

The whole "percentage" thing is interesting, but a pretty worthless guage for hard-core player collectors. IMO. In 20+ years of collecting, I have never once thought of what percentage I had, or would get. I once had a dream to stop at 3141 cards, but I can't stop. I just collect, and hope to always collect, now. But it is interesting to hear what others say. Even someone like Thumper or Ericchavez, it would be kind of a lost cause to go for a 100% since it will never happen. So do you set a goal of 90%?

No matter what percentage anyone gets, Bigalberts total # of a highly collectable and EXPENSIVE player (Ripken) will always be the ultimate to me!

My personal goal is to reach 90% without 1/1's. I'm currently around 81%-82% that last 8% will take quite a while if I ever make it all. VizquelCollector nailed it. It is the 1/1's that scew the numbers. Considering Chavez has more 1/1's than many players have total cards (Nearly 900). If he had 20-40 a year then my views and urgency to pick up 1/1's may be different but when you pick up a 1/1 plate and know there will be over 1000 like it before it is all said and done doesn't make much sense to me. So that is why my non 1/1 % is more important to me than the overall.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Chavez guy thanks for going down the list for those percentages- fun to look at!

I totally agree with the two posts above... I feel like I already spend too much time with my Manny Ramirez spreadsheet (am I a card collector or a database manager!?) which is time I should be spending looking at and enjoying the cards. The percentage is not something I focus on, rather something I calculate every once in a blue moon to see where I stand just for kicks.

The % complete is perfect for my 1998 bowman chrome master set, in which each one has 441 cards and the checklist will never change... :)

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Just as a visual way to look at the card production explosion (and maybe Manny Ramirez isn't the best example because of his debut date but I think it captures "the bubble"- though someone like Griffey might be better)

This graph shows the # of Manny Ramirez cards produced (columns) (this is from my own edited spreadsheet based on Beckett.com's listing) and the % of those cards I have (blue line) by year (x axis).

Manny_graph.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This is depressing. I could've sworn I'd be at 1500 Frank Thomas cards, seeing as I was collecting him since returning to the hobby in 1991 and being pretty hardcore about it through the 90s. But I just counted up my stuff and here are my more or less official figures by year:
1990 6
1991 17
1992 32
1993 65
1994 75
1995 89
1996 89
1997 122
1998 113
1999 96
2000 69
2001 91
2002 72
2003 70
2004 64
2005 80
2006 31
2007 30
2008 28
2009 6
Pre-90/minors 2

Total: 1247
I might be missing a couple cards that are stacked up in unexpected places or bundled into complete sets, but looking at these numbers, I've really slacked off. I have exactly as many cards from this year as 1990, where I'm missing the NNOF, OPC, and Topps and Bowman Tiffanies from my 'official' checklist. For the last couple years as my Sizemore commitment has increased, I've just tried to keep up with Thomas base set issues, but I guess I haven't even done that. With no shows on the horizon, and shops not opening any product these days, it's ebay for me. Oh well, it's quality not quantity, I guess.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
smapdi said:
This is depressing. I could've sworn I'd be at 1500 Frank Thomas cards, seeing as I was collecting him since returning to the hobby in 1991 and being pretty hardcore about it through the 90s. But I just counted up my stuff and here are my more or less official figures by year:
1990 6
1991 17
1992 32
1993 65
1994 75
1995 89
1996 89
1997 122
1998 113
1999 96
2000 69
2001 91
2002 72
2003 70
2004 64
2005 80
2006 31
2007 30
2008 28
2009 6
Pre-90/minors 2

I might be missing a couple cards that are stacked up in unexpected places or bundled into complete sets, but looking at these numbers, I've really slacked off. I have exactly as many cards from this year as 1990, where I'm missing the NNOF, OPC, and Topps and Bowman Tiffanies from my 'official' checklist. For the last couple years as my Sizemore commitment has increased, I've just tried to keep up with Thomas base set issues, but I guess I haven't even done that. With no shows on the horizon, and shops not opening any product these days, it's ebay for me. Oh well, it's quality not quantity, I guess.

I don't know how someone could collect two players anyways! Especially two all-star payers!
Talk about expensive and time consuming! :lol: I collected Cliff FLoyd for about two years (94ish-96ish) and had to give up! Hats off to you that can do it!

(I actually collected 3 players, because I had a nice Marshall Faulk collection going, too.) Still have them, but they sit in boxes, probably never to be added to again...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
smapdi said:
1990 6
1991 17
1992 32
1993 65
1994 75
1995 89
1996 89
1997 122
1998 113
1999 96
2000 69
2001 91
2002 72
2003 70
2004 64
2005 80
2006 31
2007 30
2008 28
2009 6
Pre-90/minors 2

I don't know how someone could collect two players anyways! Especially two all-star payers!
Talk about expensive and time consuming! :lol: I collected Cliff FLoyd for about two years (94ish-96ish) and had to give up! Hats off to you that can do it!

(I actually collected 3 players, because I had a nice Marshall Faulk collection going, too.) Still have them, but they sit in boxes, probably never to be added to again...

Honestly...and not to sound rude...but Thomas seems like an easy player to collect quantity-wise.Now once you start going after things like patches and autos it gets a little more costly but what I mean is you can amass a whole slew of stuff without ever having to break the bank.Somebody with a smaller amount of cards is harder to do that with.

Its why I say(and maybe a lot of you remember it from when they were having the player collector contest a little while back) it doesn't matter how many you have...its the quality.Somebody could have 3,000 Griffey's and say they have a better collection than I do because they have more.But that wouldn't necessarily be the case.I could probably land 3,000 different Griffey's by going after base and cheap inserts.You take somebody like Bags for example...and that's not too possible.Trust me...I am finding out the hard way.And now the cards come slower and slower as all the cannon fodder is gone.

So if you have 1200 decent cards of Thomas...you are doing great and shouldn't worry about the numbers.Plus its all about how you collect.Some people only want to go after certain things.Who could tell them their collection is not as good as the next person's.As long as you are happy with your collection and everyone else is happy with theirs...everyone is equal IMO.

As far as collecting two players at the same time...I collect way more than that.Of course I don't have the money to be at the same percentage and quality as I do with Bagwell but as I add more and more things...they start evening out.Once you lose steam due to rarity or high prices on one collection...the other is still able to keep going because it hasn't reached that peak yet.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Wow, it is amazing seeing all the player collectors who have passed 1500! :eek:

Of my two main collections, only one player has a huge amount of cards: Rod Carew. I only have about 150 different Carew's in my collection. I pick them up when I can, but don't stress myself about reaching a certain number.

My other favorite, Jim Fregosi, probably only has less than 200 out there. And, as far as I know, NO 1/1's to chase. With his cards, I am aiming for 100 as a reachable goal. :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
JackLondon said:

Of my two main collections, only one player has a huge amount of cards: Rod Carew. I only have about 150 different Carew's in my collection. I pick them up when I can, but don't stress myself about reaching a certain number.

My other favorite, Jim Fregosi, probably only has less than 200 out there. And, as far as I know, NO 1/1's to chase. With his cards, I am aiming for 100 as a reachable goal. :D

If I were you...and I collected a player with around 200 cards and no 1/1's...I would accept nothing less than 100% completion.I only wish I collected guys who were that easy.But as of now...even a lot of the retired players have been dragged into the 1/1 parallel bit which makes it impossible for you to have every one of their cards.Its why I say you really ought to knock out Fregosi.At least its achievable.And that's a really good thing! :D

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
predatorkj said:
JackLondon said:

If I were you...and I collected a player with around 200 cards and no 1/1's...I would accept nothing less than 100% completion.I only wish I collected guys who were that easy.But as of now...even a lot of the retired players have been dragged into the 1/1 parallel bit which makes it impossible for you to have every one of their cards.Its why I say you really ought to knock out Fregosi.At least its achievable.And that's a really good thing! :D

I have no willpower, so I probably will keep going after I reach 100 Fregosi's. Problem is he has many, many tough regional issues from the 60's and 70's that rarely, if ever, come up for sale/auction. I have done some searches on a few oddball cards of his and found nothing at all online about them (other than the Beckett list, of course). Will keep going, though! :)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
JackLondon said:
predatorkj said:
JackLondon said:

I have no willpower, so I probably will keep going after I reach 100 Fregosi's. Problem is he has many, many tough regional issues from the 60's and 70's that rarely, if ever, come up for sale/auction. I have done some searches on a few oddball cards of his and found nothing at all online about them (other than the Beckett list, of course). Will keep going, though! :)

Good luck!If I had anything of his I'd send it to you free of charge just to try to help you get to your goal.Sadly...the only cards of his I probably have are in my topps sets.I will keep my eyes peeled though.The guy I normally do trades with always has really oddball stuff.All these food discs and buttons and all the 80's and late 70's crap.I even picked up a couple of the coca cola Reds teams sets from him.He always has oddball stuff.I will see if I can root around and find any Fegosi's for ya.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I picked up a lot of just over 50 cards from David Campos, and another 50 or so from other ventures (including a 10 card Star company set), which puts me over 3,800 now. If I can get some funds together, I will be at 3,900 by Christmas or soon after.

Seeing the new Henderson collector made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd drag it back up and update!

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
3800 cards wow, Walker only has 3800ish cards in total. I'm now up to 1850 different Walker cards with about 30 incoming. I am slowing down a little now so I won't be hitting 2000 anytime soon.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
During Christmas break (between work too) I might try to begin organizing the Sosa collection.

I have a feeling I'm close to 1000 but have no clue for certain.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I collect Rickey Henderson and have 2,350+ different cards. I also collect anything with Henderson and have a total of 5000+ different Henderson items including the cards.

Members online

Latest posts