Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors 1500+ Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
You can always tell the collectors that have been at it for years because they don't give a crap if a card is "Beckett recognized" or not. I will never understand why someone would care if Beckett recognized a card or not??? I also count Broder cards as well.

My Ozzie collection has about 850 cards in it but I only collect cards that were issued during the years he played...for the most part.

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:
What constitutes a card? Do you count Star/Broders/Mother's Cookies and that "stuff" or just cards recognized by Beckett?[/quote]

What's Beckett??? ;)

I personally count any card except Broders... Mother's: definitely (And they're in Beckett). Star: Definitely. I'd bet less than 50 of my cards are not in Beckett, (4 Star Co. sets not listed, two sets are listed) but I'd guess any of the player collectors feel the same. Even most Regional issues are in Beckett: Thom Mcan, 7-11 coins, My Own Tea discs, Quaker Cereal, Ben's Bread, Hostess, etc...

But not Broders!
I'd count MattyAlexander's Papa Murphy's cards over Broders!

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I think I've only found one that isn't listed (2003 Chick-Fil-A Minor League card). I'm all for counting unrecognized cards, but I've just found more that Beckett says exist that don't than ones they don't recognize.

Beckett doesn't only miss promotional or oddball stuff. My Exquisite Billingsley/Shields dual signatures 1/1 isn't listed but all the other versions are.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
How many cards does Hanley have if you are only at 30% with over 1,500??

That's ridiculous that he has that many cards in a short period of time.

No offense to you, mind you. Good luck :cool:

Tomlinson21RB said:
mrwhitesox30 said:
You guys are all nuts. I had no idea that Scott Rolen, Darin Erstad and Hanley Ramirez even had 1500 cards.

I'm probably only at about 25-30%

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
markakis8 said:

Tomlinson21RB said:
mrwhitesox30 said:
You guys are all nuts. I had no idea that Scott Rolen, Darin Erstad and Hanley Ramirez even had 1500 cards.

Last I checked he was at 3600-3700, and that was quite a few sets ago. I'm might be over 30% but I was giving it a conservative estimate. I do include 1/1's in my counts too, so that hurts my %.

The big issue is 1) Moments and Milestones (1062 cards in 07 and 704 in 08) and 2) Every set has at least one base card, 3-4 parallels, a couple autos with parallels, and a couple gu with parallels.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
any big name player from 2000 on is gonna be tough to collect.. each year they put out 1000 cards of these guys it seems.. hell look at the Griffey's and Ripken's of the world.. over 10k cards and I'm sure guys like Jeter and ARod can't be too far behind that already. lucky for me my guy was out of baseball by 02 so there isn't as much for me to get from then till 07.. and a great many of them are 1/1's so that makes it even easier knowing I won't have the 100+ 1/1's in my PC ever.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I keep my list at home, but I email it to myself at work sometimes in case I really need to see what I have and need while I'm at work. I'm at work now, and I think the list I'm working with is about 6 months old. So.... 6 months ago, I had exactly 1,998 different Rickeys. :D I don't add much to the collection these days, but I'm confident that I'm up to 2009 by now. I'll try to check it out later...

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
i haven't updated my lists in a few months but here were my numbers when I made Ozzie Smith Supercollector on The Bench

Ozzie Smith Collection
1165/3293 35.37% Total

I think I am pretty close to 1200 now. I have about 90% of his playing day cards though.
I am still working on scanning them all in but I am lazy so it's taking longer than I expected

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
You can always tell the collectors that have been at it for years because they don't give a crap if a card is "Beckett recognized" or not. I will never understand why someone would care if Beckett recognized a card or not??? I also count Broder cards as well.

My Ozzie collection has about 850 cards in it but I only collect cards that were issued during the years he played...for the most part.

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:
What constitutes a card? Do you count Star/Broders/Mother's Cookies and that "stuff" or just cards recognized by Beckett?[/quote]

What's Beckett??? ;)

I personally count any card except Broders... Mother's: definitely (And they're in Beckett). Star: Definitely. I'd bet less than 50 of my cards are not in Beckett, (4 Star Co. sets not listed, two sets are listed) but I'd guess any of the player collectors feel the same. Even most Regional issues are in Beckett: Thom Mcan, 7-11 coins, My Own Tea discs, Quaker Cereal, Ben's Bread, Hostess, etc...

But not Broders!

.... yeah I've only collected my guy on and off since 1997 and am at around 75% completion. So you are obviously correct with that foolish statement.

I don't have a problem with people counting stuff like Broders. But, if you count that kind of thing, where do you draw the line? I could grab some scraps of paper, draw a stick figure and write his name on it and call it a card. By 'Beckett recognized' you simply know that there is some legitimacy to it (for the most part). I'm just saying if you want to put a concrete number behind how many cards your guy has available, the Beckett checklist is about the best thing going.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Jastermereel said:
Mozzie22 said:

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:

What's Beckett??? ;)

But not Broders!

.... yeah I've only collected my guy on and off since 1997 and am at around 75% completion. So you are obviously correct with that foolish statement.

I don't have a problem with people counting stuff like Broders. But, if you count that kind of thing, where do you draw the line? I could grab some scraps of paper, draw a stick figure and write his name on it and call it a card. By 'Beckett recognized' you simply know that there is some legitimacy to it (for the most part). I'm just saying if you want to put a concrete number behind how many cards your guy has available, the Beckett checklist is about the best thing going.

So what do you do in the case that Beckett lists cards that don't exist and when they miss legitimate (I'm talking UD Exquisite) cards that you own?

I'm not attacking your way of collecting, just wondering how you handle those situations.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Jastermereel said:

Beckett sucks, and you'll probably realize it sooner or later. I finished acquiring every Rickey card from 1982 about 5 years ago, and all of a sudden they add 1982 Topps Blank Back. Seriously!? Are they going to start adding misc wrongbacks and miscuts next? There is a 1985 Topps Blank Back on ebay, do I buy it? It's not in the OPG, YET. I think that's the main reason I said to myself "Self, don't collect what Beckett says you should collect, collect what makes you happy." I'm much happier now. I can forget about those 2004 Fleer Sweet Spot autos that were never made but are still in the OPG. I can stop worrying about why they didn't list this card: 2003 Bowman ROY Dual GU Jennings jersey w/Eric Hinske bat.

I also hate how they have pencils in the OPG, and cups from 7-11, and so on and so forth. I mean, really, I collect cards and don't have room for every single thing that was ever made with Rickey on it. I know Broders were unlicensed, but at least they are baseball cards. Are all of these unlicensed Donruss cards going to be in the OPG? If so, they should probably start adding the Broders. That would be hilarious, what would you do? Change your opinion on the Broders or the OPG?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
I have 2241 different Andruw's. All scanned with the exception of 1998-2001, I hope to have those scanned by mid February.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Like Marilyn Manson said, you can't see the forest for the trees.

I loathe Beckett. I haven't owned one in years. However, if you want a checklist of your player's stuff, what else is available? I don't know why they occassionally add the wierd item either, like McFarlanes or cards that were given away at shows. My guess is that their Marketplace owners have these things so they did them a favor and stuck them in the OPG. Just my theory.

The list they have is far from perfect, and you should definitely use your own judgement as far as paying attention to it, but it's the best/only thing going. I collect the off-brand stuff too, but there's no way to know if I have it all because there's no good list.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Oh wow, I knew Milestones was a biggie for player collectors but I didn't realize, even with 1/1's that Hanley had almost 2,000 unique cards in two years! That's insane!

Tomlinson21RB said:
markakis8 said:

Tomlinson21RB said:
mrwhitesox30 said:

Last I checked he was at 3600-3700, and that was quite a few sets ago. I'm might be over 30% but I was giving it a conservative estimate. I do include 1/1's in my counts too, so that hurts my %.

The big issue is 1) Moments and Milestones (1062 cards in 07 and 704 in 08) and 2) Every set has at least one base card, 3-4 parallels, a couple autos with parallels, and a couple gu with parallels.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Jastermereel said:
Mozzie22 said:

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:

What's Beckett??? ;)

But not Broders!

I think your missing my intent here. You actually wrote, "What constitutes a card?" Licensed or not Broder does have complete set checklists, as do other unlicensed sets. My point is this, there are hundreds of cards of some players that the schmucks over at Beckett do not list and many newer collectors (and evidently some older collectors) use Beckett as the bible for player collectors. Is it a nice place to start for a checklist? Yes, but it isn't the end all.

If you need proof of this look no further than many signatures that list "1234/2500 "BECKETT RECOGNIZED" cards in their collections. Why not just say you have 1234 Joe Shmoe cards. By listing cards as "Beckett recognized" you invalidate other cards/players collections that may not give a damn what Beckett does or does not acknowledge. Also, you may be losing out on some sweet cards.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Everybodys list will vary on who counts what. Regarding Beckett, everybody can agree that it is incomplete. For that reason, I personally cannot say it is the end-all of what counts and shouldn't count. If you want to use that as the end-all, that is fine because the hobby is about you, and you defining your own goals.

Myself along with the other McGwire collectors got together and we made our own list because of this. Beckett omits even recognized variations of licensed cards. They also omit broder cards which as most collectors from the 80's and 90's will agree, are valid cards.

What we did was create two lists:
"Cards Only"
"Masterlist"

"Cards only" is basically everything that we believe should be recognized by beckett.

"Masterlist" is a step further (and we haven't gotten far on it yet) but consists of everything in the "Cards Only" list along with any other artifacts that are McGwire related. We moved some artifacts that beckett recognizes to this list such as yo-yo's, pins, tins and such because they aren't cards. However they are memorabilia and some people want to even collect all of this. I personally stick to the Cards Only list because that alone is expansive.

To be honest, our Cards Only list isn't perfect. We aren't 100% consistant because there is a ton of gray area. For these we just use our better judgement. But I can guarantee our list is more accurate than Beckett.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
onionring9 said:
Everybodys list will vary on who counts what. Regarding Beckett, everybody can agree that it is incomplete. For that reason, I personally cannot say it is the end-all of what counts and shouldn't count. If you want to use that as the end-all, that is fine because the hobby is about you, and you defining your own goals.

Myself along with the other McGwire collectors got together and we made our own list because of this. Beckett omits even recognized variations of licensed cards. They also omit broder cards which as most collectors from the 80's and 90's will agree, are valid cards.

"Cards Only"
"Masterlist"

"Cards only" is basically everything that we believe should be recognized by beckett.

"Masterlist" is a step further (and we haven't gotten far on it yet) but consists of everything in the "Cards Only" list along with any other artifacts that are McGwire related. We moved some artifacts that beckett recognizes to this list such as yo-yo's, pins, tins and such because they aren't cards. However they are memorabilia and some people want to even collect all of this. I personally stick to the Cards Only list because that alone is expansive.

To be honest, our Cards Only list isn't perfect. We aren't 100% consistant because there is a ton of gray area. For these we just use our better judgement. But I can guarantee our list is more accurate than Beckett.

Is that website up and running yet?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
onionring9 said:

"Cards Only"
"Masterlist"

Is that website up and running yet?

Not yet. I've been waiting about 6 months for the last collector to submit his hoard of what we need. We're missing less than 9% of the pictures for the cards and he has probably 7-8% of them...I may just have to finish the site without him. Right now the only thing online is the list we've been working off of (http://www.joering.com/mcgwire/). It's not a site yet, just the list. I've got a lot of work on the todo list for this, but it had to take a backseat to another project.

Members online

Latest posts