Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors 1500+ Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
WOW, no Griffey collectors posted yet?
Here is how mine breaks down:
1897 different base, low-end inserts "recognized by beckett" (if you must)
59 Graded cards
29 Game Used cards
401 oddballs (they are all scanned on my NEW photobucket site)
------------
2386 for a grand total of Ken Griffey Jr-- USED to be a part of the 3,000 different club, but sold a bunch off I didn't want to. And at more than 20,000 different cards.... OH MAN!

Working on Matt Hasselbeck more now and somewhere between 250-300 different ones there.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
You can always tell the collectors that have been at it for years because they don't give a crap if a card is "Beckett recognized" or not. I will never understand why someone would care if Beckett recognized a card or not??? I also count Broder cards as well.

My Ozzie collection has about 850 cards in it but I only collect cards that were issued during the years he played...for the most part.

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:
What constitutes a card? Do you count Star/Broders/Mother's Cookies and that "stuff" or just cards recognized by Beckett?[/quote]

What's Beckett??? ;)

I personally count any card except Broders... Mother's: definitely (And they're in Beckett). Star: Definitely. I'd bet less than 50 of my cards are not in Beckett, (4 Star Co. sets not listed, two sets are listed) but I'd guess any of the player collectors feel the same. Even most Regional issues are in Beckett: Thom Mcan, 7-11 coins, My Own Tea discs, Quaker Cereal, Ben's Bread, Hostess, etc...

But not Broders!
I'd count MattyAlexander's Papa Murphy's cards over Broders!

Post thanked.

Besides... Beckett seems to have no rationale between including and not including some issues. Yes, some "broder" cards are actually listed on Beckett's checklists as well.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Re: Player Collectors 1500 Club

markakis8 said:
ok, that is sick...

theplasticman said:
onionring9 said:
theplasticman said:
I'm in with:

Will Clark
Eddie Murray
Darin Erstad

My other guy, Bucky Jacobsen, only had about 200 total.

Of course you're in for multiple people. You're like a guy hitting HOF for multi sports.

What's the numbers (ish) on your unique counts of those guys?

See above reply... I really need to get everything cataloged and scanned. Some other stats (a few months old):

Darin Erstad
84 1/1
280 game used
98 autographs
15,000+ total

Will Clark
65 1/1
293 game used
184 autographs
about 50,000 total
about 11,000 rookie cards
about 300 86/87 Tiffany rookies

Eddie Murray
haven't counted everything up yet.

thanks... I can't wait to have everything scanned and displayed.

NYY1

Oct 7, 2008
I collect Randy Johnson and have 3013 different cards (2112 of them are listed in beckett)

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
In the mid 1990s i was very impressed by a few collectors I knew of who were approaching 1000 unique items of guys like Sandberg, Ripken, Schmidt, etc, so I'm completely blown away by the guys in the 1500 Club. Congratulations to all.

Here's my list of unique items (includes oddball and variations)

Wade Boggs - 487
George Brett - 419
Jose Canseco - 482
Will Clark - 522
Roger Clemens - 526
Andre Dawson - 327
Ken Griffey Jr - 347
Tony Gwynn - 476
Rickey Henderson - 368
Don Mattingly - 445
Dale Murphy - 272
Eddie Murray - 317
Kirby Puckett - 507
Cal Ripken - 619
Nolan Ryan - 455
Ryne Sandberg - 476
Mike Schmidt - 447
Ozzie Smith - 325
Darryl Strawberry - 386
Frank Thomas - 357
Dave Winfield - 301
Robin Yount - 371

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I hesitate to post because I am not specifically a player collector, but rather a team collector.

That said, I have just under 2000 Lance Berkman cards.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i'm a team collector - most are players i have met at local minor league stadium.
over 10,000 cards of those players which make me have nearly 30,000 pirate cards.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
I hesitate to post because I am not specifically a player collector, but rather a team collector.

You should start a sister post for team collector milestones!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
theplasticman said:
Mozzie22 said:
You can always tell the collectors that have been at it for years because they don't give a crap if a card is "Beckett recognized" or not. I will never understand why someone would care if Beckett recognized a card or not??? I also count Broder cards as well.

My Ozzie collection has about 850 cards in it but I only collect cards that were issued during the years he played...for the most part.

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:
What constitutes a card? Do you count Star/Broders/Mother's Cookies and that "stuff" or just cards recognized by Beckett?[/quote]

What's Beckett??? ;)

I personally count any card except Broders... Mother's: definitely (And they're in Beckett). Star: Definitely. I'd bet less than 50 of my cards are not in Beckett, (4 Star Co. sets not listed, two sets are listed) but I'd guess any of the player collectors feel the same. Even most Regional issues are in Beckett: Thom Mcan, 7-11 coins, My Own Tea discs, Quaker Cereal, Ben's Bread, Hostess, etc...

But not Broders!

Post thanked.

Besides... Beckett seems to have no rationale between including and not including some issues. Yes, some "broder" cards are actually listed on Beckett's checklists as well.

Well its just like some of the star promos and sets aren't listed even in the big beckett almanac but they are still cards.Plus you take some of the other oddballs.What about the gold hologram MJB holographics they made sets of for Knoublach and Bagwell.They list the regular sets but no these.I didn't even know they existed for the longest.Beckett's list is a mere guide and nothing more.Trust me...if your collecting a player hardcore...you will find many cards not listed but they are actual cards.And sometimes not even oddball items either.

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
predatorkj said:
theplasticman said:
Mozzie22 said:

gwynn5453l4u said:
Jastermereel said:

What's Beckett??? ;)

But not Broders!

Post thanked.

Well its just like some of the star promos and sets aren't listed even in the big beckett almanac but they are still cards.Plus you take some of the other oddballs.What about the gold hologram MJB holographics they made sets of for Knoublach and Bagwell.They list the regular sets but no these.I didn't even know they existed for the longest.Beckett's list is a mere guide and nothing more.Trust me...if your collecting a player hardcore...you will find many cards not listed but they are actual cards.And sometimes not even oddball items either.

THIS IS A VERY TRUE STATEMENT!
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/seattlefantillidie/Baseball/Ken Griffey Jr/Oddballs/
I thought I had a pretty good handle on Griffey's Oddballs and yet I still come across some I've never seen before. And, as some I have written, I have NO idea on year, maker, etc because there is NO listing of these cards anywhere!

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
SeattlefantillIdie said:
predatorkj said:
theplasticman said:
Mozzie22 said:

gwynn5453l4u said:
[quote="Jastermereel":3pvwmk3x]What constitutes a card? Do you count Star/Broders/Mother's Cookies and that "stuff" or just cards recognized by Beckett?[/quote]

What's Beckett??? ;)

But not Broders!

Post thanked.

THIS IS A VERY TRUE STATEMENT!
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/seattlefantillidie/Baseball/Ken Griffey Jr/Oddballs/
I thought I had a pretty good handle on Griffey's Oddballs and yet I still come across some I've never seen before. And, as some I have written, I have NO idea on year, maker, etc because there is NO listing of these cards anywhere![/quote:3pvwmk3x]

On the first page....
Cards 1-3: Broder
Card 4: Either a Topps or Baseball Cards magazine insert (similar to SI For Kids) from 1990
Cards 5-8: Broder
Card 9: Ken Griffey Jr candy bar wrapper
Card 10: Broder
Cards 11-12: Mother's Cookies, I think 1990
Card 13: Broder
Card 14: made in 1992
Cards 15-17: Broder
Card 18: Another Topps magazine insert
Cards 19-20: Star. Don't know the year

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
onionring9 said:
Therion said:

I'm not sure what the proper milestones for a team collectors would be :lol: :lol: :lol:

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Also not sure if any of this matters, but

Star cards are recognized by PSA and are required for some of the master sets. Most of the oddball stuff released by star is also expensive com paired to their licensed counterparts.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Amazing collections, everyone! Well done!

I'm more than a little jealous that there aren't more Butlers for me to collect. Beckett recognizes 514 unique Butlers. I'm missing 20 of them, for a 96% completion rate. Half of those are 1/1s, and the other are mostly rare parallels. The other cards on my wantlist are either confirmed variations, or rumored ones. I'm sure some of them don't even exist. While I hunt in vain for the remainder of my wantlist, I branched off into a PSA registry, and will soon start a TTM campaign. As with all player collectors, I've also got dozens of oddballs and proof cards that Beckett doesn't recognize. My favorite proof cards are in my sig. I missed out by a matter of moments landing the separate cyan and magenta proofs. I'm hoping that someday they turn up.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
onionring9 said:
Therion said:

I'm not sure what the proper milestones for a team collectors would be :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well one guy had like over 10,000 different Angles cards.Not sure who though.Can't remember his board name.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
predatorkj said:
Therion said:
onionring9 said:
Therion said:

Well one guy had like over 10,000 different Angles cards.Not sure who though.Can't remember his board name.

I no longer have an exact count because I have refocused my collection to the Astros A to Z Autographs, and I've picked up several hundred new Astros since my last good count. That said, I have twelve 800 count boxes stuffed full and every card is in order and unique. Beyond that, I have about 500 not yet filed. So I'd guess I have roughly 10,000 Astros though it may be just under.

Maybe that is a good mark? It might be a bit high though. It gets tough to find new stuff sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
predatorkj said:
Therion said:
onionring9 said:
Therion said:

I no longer have an exact count because I have refocused my collection to the Astros A to Z Autographs, and I've picked up several hundred new Astros since my last good count. That said, I have twelve 800 count boxes stuffed full and every card is in order and unique. Beyond that, I have about 500 not yet filed. So I'd guess I have roughly 10,000 Astros though it may be just under.

Maybe that is a good mark? It might be a bit high though. It gets tough to find new stuff sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I ever decided to count up all my astros unique cards...I'd have well over the mark I am sure.Just my Bagwell, Berkman, Oswalt, and Biggio alone would add up to close to 5,000(though I suppose thats cheating since I have close to 2200 bagwells).I collect a lot of folks on the astros team and I never chunk an astros card but I really don't avidly go after all astros cards.Just too many out there to be had and it can be kinda hard to find them all.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I just can't imagine collecting someone like Ken Griffey Jr.

Can anyone ESTIMATE how many total cards he has?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts