Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors 1500+ Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Graded cards? I hate graded cards so the only two I have are those silly 2001 Donruss Anniversary Originals that came from Donruss in slabs. One is a 7 and one is a 7.5 (!!!). With 700 million copies of 88 Donruss floating around they couldn't be bothered to slab nice examples. Otherwise if I have to buy a graded card to fill a hole in my collection, the first thing I do when I get it is bust it from its cage. I know some of you guys are cringing right now, but I gotta be me :)

No TTM or show autos yet. If I ever go to a signing I'll bring my all-time favorite card - 1993 Donruss Elite.

I do have a few on top cell packs just for fun, but only pick them up on the CHEAP.

When the time comes? I expect exactly Jack and Schitt for my collection. There aren't many other Alomar collectors out there so I don't think my heirs will have much luck finding a buyer for my collection. So in my will I request my brother to put the whole damn thing up for consignment sale on ebay, and he can do what he wants with the proceeds.

You didn't ask but I'll confess one more thing. I have started adding team cards - and their parallels - to my PC. Sad but true.

Very interesting thread. Some REALLY SERIOUS collectors out there. I have a few
questions though.
How many of these cards are third party graded? For instance the $25+ valued cards.
Are any of these TTM auto'd or at show auto'd?
Do you have side collections of "On Top" cellos/racks.
What percentage of what you paid for your cards do you expect when the time comes?
Do these players have museums where the cards can be donated when the time comes?
These are very impressive collections but future disposition would be a HUGE concern for me.

Last edited:

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Cool stuff guys, I love reading the updates to this thread! I hope to have the Brandon Webb collection join one day, butcher's just not much out there anymore. I'm probably 275 short or so of 1,500.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Pleased to hit the 2,000 mark in my Puckett collection with this 1989 Topps Heads Up! Test issue!

40780742141_1b93cdc1f0_z.jpg

40071243624_acff967b30_z.jpg

Onions

Dec 8, 2014
North Dakota
I've been waiting to be able to post in this thread, and just yesterday I finally made it to the 1500 unique Kirby Puckett cards milestone.

These last pickups are the ones that put me at exactly 1501 (the Mirror Blue is actually a duplicate). I almost only chase earlier releases, so 95% of them are pre-2001.

I have had some help from a few fellow collectors here, so thank you guys very much for that.

On to the next milestone!

oqWLfye.jpgrps20180325_121759.jpgrps20180325_121739.jpg

Onions

Dec 8, 2014
North Dakota
The Blue was already peeled when I got it, but I have not peeled any of the others except the base and Artists Proof. I would have to practice a little on some more base cards to get the confidence to peel the Mirrors.

They do look incredible without the film!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Just found a plethora of Gwynns on Sportlots, which should put me over 6,000 finally. Seems like yesterday I was sitting at 3,141 and contemplating ending my collection at that magical number. I'll post my 6,000th when it arrives.

*edit to add this timely post from April 2009 when I got my 3,500th Gwynn:
For the first time ever, I bought some cards from Sportlots...
I found one dealer that had 44 cards I needed (almost all pre-2000). He was selling at a great price, and a bonus to find that many from one guy! Nothing even scan worthy, a lot of old Topps stickers, Panini, many random base cards, pacific minor inserts, etc...

(some I know I already have, but not with all of my Gwynn stuff. I figured for .35 per, it's easier to buy a new one than to hunt through hundreds of boxes!)

Still a ways to go, but it's nice to find so many at once.

Last edited:

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Since this thread looks like it could use a boost, I just grabbed by 5,500th unique Rickey Henderson item. It isn't the biggest, but it is pretty big. Enjoy collecting everyone...and stay safe out there.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Very good sir!

It's cool to see this 11 year old thread still going.

At the moment I'm at 4400 Robbies and counting.

Since this thread looks like it could use a boost, I just grabbed by 5,500th unique Rickey Henderson item. It isn't the biggest, but it is pretty big. Enjoy collecting everyone...and stay safe out there.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I now have five players in my 1500+ club: Troy Glaus (2132), Scott Rolen (1714), Jim Thome (1689), Todd Helton (1602), and Nomar Garciaparra (1538). All of those probably have another 25 or so that I haven't counted yet.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
It is funny to think that I spent years trying to get as many Canseco as possible, and here I am, still wild as ever about his cards, but now only have about 250 of them. I recently sold off all my base/base inserts. For me, less is more at this point, but to think I used to have over 5,000 Canseco ... from a percentage perspective, I am at about 5%, yet just as satisfied. I never thought I'd say that! :)

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
It is funny to think that I spent years trying to get as many Canseco as possible, and here I am, still wild as ever about his cards, but now only have about 250 of them. I recently sold off all my base/base inserts. For me, less is more at this point, but to think I used to have over 5,000 Canseco ... from a percentage perspective, I am at about 5%, yet just as satisfied. I never thought I'd say that! :)

I’ve been on the verge of shifting my focus to just Puckett cards through 2007 for a couple/few years now. This post is encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Congrats on 5,500! My player doesn't even have that many cards.

Members online