Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Poll with prizes... Signed Stickers on Chrome/Metal

How do you feel about clear sticker autos on Metal (similar to chrome)?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Bill Menard said:
Can you do a signing such that you bring the actual cards for hard signature for the products that have already been produced and then have the person sign stickers soley for the products to be released down the road that have yet to be created? This way at least you'd be able to produce an on-card of said celebrity at least in one product for those die hards that want an on-card of the celeb rather than a sticker.

PS - Does someone like Donald Trump literally sit there for 2 hours and sign his name 1,000 times? or are they left with him for signature and due back within some allotted time frame? Do you have the rights to reduce payment if the signatures aren't received in a certain amount of time? Can you request they sign a few with some inscriptions? Like "The Donald"? I feel like even though they are stickers and ugly, something like a bonus inscription would help the overall appeal of them. Probably add some value too to have some sort of a short printed inscription version.

Oh - another question. I know when I sign multiple business check requests I can sometimes sign a lot of items in one sitting. Sometimes my signature gets disasterous, but it's still my signature, even though it may not look like it exactly. Do you as a company try to weed those out from the product or do you include all autos you had signed? I assume you'll use them all, since I've seen cards of players in the same product where there sig looks very different, but I just wanted to ask b/c you are a different company and may do things differently.

Thanks for the read and reply!

That is exactly what we are doing. We get all we can signed on-card and only do stickers as a desperate last resort.
Yes, he will sit and sign in one sitting in most cases.
Yes, we try to pull terrible sigs.
BG

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I voted yes, so long as it is only used for people that either can't or refuse to sign on cards, not as a cop out to make things easier/cheaper

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
If that's the only way to get them to sign. Then by all means, a clear and well placed sticker that meshes well with the card design, will be OK.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
Leaf said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1l0ay5sy]No Stickers for this.

Produce the cards and ship to them, I see no difference between sending them sticker or the card.

Did you read our replies?
How do you get everything for the next 18 months signed in 1 sitting (the only way many guys will do deals)?
I guess we could issue redemptions that take a year to fill, but that SUCKS.
Or, do we just tell big names to screw off if they wont sign 5 different times throughout the year for small money (relative to their wealth).

BG

Yes, I can read (and leave feedback for transactions). Sounds like you want to use people, say Trump, in multiple products. How about use them in just one product to avoid stickers. Inserting Trump in one product will help retain his and product value.

Yes, stickers are fine if clear (like everyone has mentioned).[/quote:1l0ay5sy]

Sorry for the delay on feedback.. Just left it!

Problem is our deal with trump is too big for one product. With 299 and 399 case print runs, you cannot use all the sigs on one product. A list (even B list) names wont do any smaller deals.
BG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
Why would Donald sign in the first place?

I mean... if you have more money than you know what to do with, what's an extra $10-20k?

Its a favor for the "Fans of ALI" set... he loves Ali, but who doesnt??
BG

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Leaf said:
George_Calfas said:
Leaf said:
[quote="George_Calfas":zou2nskp]No Stickers for this.

Produce the cards and ship to them, I see no difference between sending them sticker or the card.

Did you read our replies?
How do you get everything for the next 18 months signed in 1 sitting (the only way many guys will do deals)?
I guess we could issue redemptions that take a year to fill, but that SUCKS.
Or, do we just tell big names to screw off if they wont sign 5 different times throughout the year for small money (relative to their wealth).

BG

Sounds like you want to use people, say Trump, in multiple products. How about use them in just one product to avoid stickers. Inserting Trump in one product will help retain his and product value.

Yes, stickers are fine if clear (like everyone has mentioned).

Problem is our deal with trump is too big for one product. With 299 and 399 case print runs, you cannot use all the sigs on one product. A list (even B list) names wont do any smaller deals.
BG[/quote:zou2nskp]

Completely understandable, and kudos for getting those type of names.

Stickers will work, I guess my large question is; at some point could products be designed and printed far in advance, even a year early to allow for on card autos? Is this possible as the company matures? Could you start designing and printing 2012 products? Trump could sign stickers for the 2011 products and on-card for 2012.
This would not work well with sports due to trades etc but for celebrity items, where people have no team affiliation, could these cards be made far in advance?

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Stickers on cards to me are like a sticker on a baseball. If I want an auto, I want it on the item, not affixed to the item.

sharktitanfan

Aug 31, 2008
The sticker autographs are just part of the hobby now. It just means that their will be two tier values for autographs. I believe most prefer the on card autograph, but the sticker autograph does allow for a wider selection of autograph participants.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
To me it's all about the design.

If the card looks like you slapped a sticker on it because you couldn't get someone to sign, then I say no.

If the card looks like it has been designed to hold a sticker and it frames up well I think it's ok.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Jeff N. said:
Why would Donald sign in the first place?

I mean... if you have more money than you know what to do with, what's an extra $10-20k?

Donald loves the limelight (and needs the publiclity for his TV show among other ventures) and you know there is demand for his auto because of the TV show and that he is a respected businessperson.

I know I probably would buy a cert auto of him because I admire him and also to ensure I have a legit auto (the TTM auto on my dollar bill probably is autopenned but I haven't seen any other good examples to compare with to see how similar or dissimilar the signatures are).

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Leaf said:
OK, here goes again... random prizes for posters who contribute....

In our Metal Muhammad Ali set this summer, there is an insert set called "fans of Ali". We have some celebrities that would like to participate, but would only do so if they could sign labels now for use then.

How do you feel about clear stickers used on Metal (similar to Chrome) cards?

Thanks in advance... BG

a HUGE "F" No

They want to be in the set, but they are setting the terms?

Stickers f'n SUCK Brian

tell them that if Ali can sign his card, so can they

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Leaf said:
OK, here goes again... random prizes for posters who contribute....

In our Metal Muhammad Ali set this summer, there is an insert set called "fans of Ali". We have some celebrities that would like to participate, but would only do so if they could sign labels now for use then.

How do you feel about clear stickers used on Metal (similar to Chrome) cards?

Thanks in advance... BG

a HUGE "F" No

They want to be in the set, but they are setting the terms?

Stickers f'n SUCK Brian

tell them that if Ali can sign his card, so can they

Ali wont be signing much longer.... seriously.
BG

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
My vote was yes, as I look at the chance to get an autograph that I might not otherwise be able to get for my collection. Prefer on card, but "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (Rolling Stones taught me that many years ago)

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
Not a fan of stickers in the first but I look at two things 1 if they truly want to be part of the set they will sign the card and 2 sticker Autos means more Autos they may be able to just take a sheet of stickers and go with it on card means more time which usually means less Autos

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd have to see the design to decide. In general, I am less of a fan of stickers, but they can serve a purpose, when needed. I guess if manufacturers had foreseen the need/acceptance/demand and stocked up on signatures of aging greats, they could have included them in sets for years to come. That might not have been a bad idea for fans of those players, but not they way they did Musial! On card autographs will almost always, if not always, look better though.

Since this is such an old thread, I'll just say that fans of "anything" is a stupid idea for a set in my opinion. Those "fans of the game" cards they did in baseball back in the 2000s, thought the same about those. If that is the only way to get a signature, then I guess we do what we need to do to fill a gap, but I'd rather see that person highlighted on their own. I could care less if they are fans of Ali, Rocky or The Rock!

On a somewhat unrelated subject, I wish someone would have done an extensive autograph issue from Magnum PI. I am going back and trying to find signatures of many of the key and reoccurring characters and many are unusually hard, although several were not big name stars and a few died younger.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Yea man. Do the sticker route. I don't mind them anyways, but to improve the auto checklist, its a slam dunk.

Members online