Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Poll with prizes... Signed Stickers on Chrome/Metal

How do you feel about clear sticker autos on Metal (similar to chrome)?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
OK, here goes again... random prizes for posters who contribute....

In our Metal Muhammad Ali set this summer, there is an insert set called "fans of Ali". We have some celebrities that would like to participate, but would only do so if they could sign labels now for use then.

How do you feel about clear stickers used on Metal (similar to Chrome) cards?

Thanks in advance... BG

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
I picked No...

Professional celebrities should be able to sign on card - people might take advantage of peeling the autographed stickers off and put on something foreign (such as paper, clothing or whatever). Can you able to tell us a few celebrities who would be in "Fans of Ali"?

Thanks, and good luck,
Bobby

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Brian,
Unless it was some super thin sticker that merged well, stickers on chrome usually look awful. Take this years USA Autos in chrome. They look like an eyesore. A nice product like the Ali set sounds like it would be a collectors thing, which means good eye appeal. If you can find some type of labels that dont have rough edges...maybe a label that fits the entire bottom of the card, that might not be too bad so there would only be the top edge visible.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
no stickers on metal is acceptable as I've never seen a card where it looks good.

I've seen many examples where it looks good on non-metal/chrome cards so I would be fine if it it wasn't produced on a metal card and if the design/sticker was done right to make it blend in nicely on a thick paper card.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Leaf said:
We have some celebrities that would like to participate, but would only do so if they could sign labels now for use then.

They seriously said that.... Id like to be apart of it... but only if I can sign a sheet of stickers.

Going out on a limb here.... I doubt they even know what the sticker sheets even are... let alone say they'd rather sign that and not the actual cards.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I voted no because I do not think that sticker autos would look good on metal cards. If you were to do a sticker auto wth a thick card and perhaps make it look like a cut auto, I think that would be pretty cool, otherwise should be on card!!!

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Thanks Brian! I voted NO, but would be OK with it in some instances. These typically really detract from the chrome "look", but for some people (like Ali himself for example) or others that have mental/physical health problems it would be OK for me (if they were designed appropriately as others have mentioned). Usually (for active athletes) it seems like it's just an "easy" way out of obtaining the on-card ones, but forms some people, the stickers can be easier than handling a stack of cards and sitting for a long time to sign in-person.

Great to see someone in this hobby actually solicit feedback and then use the info to improve products!

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I chose "no". Stickers just turn me off of products. They reek of "cheap" to me.

EDIT: As far as this product goes, I would just go with celebrities that are willing to sign the cards.

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
I voted yes, because, if that's what it takes to get some nice/better auto's in the product, then so be it. That being said, I think it would be a good idea to make it, so people can't do what some one above said, and take the sticker off, and put it on something esle.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
The thought of a sticker auto on a chrome card makes me cringe.
If you have to do a sticker I would make it a trapped auto or make it
look like a cut. In my opinion, if you were able to get on card I would do it. As you know, there is a huge market for celebrity autographs, and there has not been an on card fans of set made yet. The donruss fans of the game was a great idea, imagine that set as on card!

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I pulled this from ringside boxing this year. Just one example of an amazing looking auto that would look like ass if reduced to a small sticker.
DSC01777.jpg

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
Resident Piazza Fan said:
I voted yes, because, if that's what it takes to get some nice/better auto's in the product, then so be it. That being said, I think it would be a good idea to make it, so people can't do what some one above said, and take the sticker off, and put it on something esle.

I also voted yes for the same reason.
Indeed, make sure the stickers can't come off.

abravesfan

Aug 10, 2008
no... unless magically it will be the first time stickers on chrome(metal) ever looked good

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Clear stickers should be fine. 2009 Topps Chrome made the cards look like they were stickers and those looked fine.

!BzPkso!CGk~$(KGrHqV,!isEw5BWOuMcBMVMPZ0s6Q~~_12.jpg

Bottom line, if it adds value to the product include it. In a perfect world it's easy to say only include it if it's on card, but if it's a bigger name or a valuable auto then no one will complain they pulled it even if it's on a sticker.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
Clear stickers should be fine. 2009 Topps Chrome made the cards look like they were stickers and those looked fine.

!BzPkso!CGk~$(KGrHqV,!isEw5BWOuMcBMVMPZ0s6Q~~_12.jpg

Bottom line, if it adds value to the product include it. In a perfect world it's easy to say only include it if it's on card, but if it's a bigger name or a valuable auto then no one will complain they pulled it even if it's on a sticker.

Those were actually supposed to be sticker autos. That is why they had the design in for where to place the sticker.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I voted yes. If that's what it takes to include better autographs, then go for it.

I agree that stickers can look bad in certain sets, especially when they are applied crooked. If done right though, a sticker can still be part of the card without detracting from the asthetic appeal. Not only that, but for the same reason you started this thread, that's the only way you can get people to sign sometimes.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
I also picked yes. As stated earlier if it is the only way to do it and it adds value im fine with it. It all depends on the level of these celebs. If they are big names then i would rather have them in there even if it means stickers, but if they are mid level celebs then there isnt any point as i would assume you would be able to find similar type celebs to sign on card. When it comes to bigger names it may be more difficult to get them to sign on card. I would rather have a big name auto on a sticker then an average auto on card. Any added value to a product is good in my opinion. Just my two cents

Members online