Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What grading service is most respected / accepted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
bballcardkid said:
Whatever happened to ***? There for a while they were making a strong run at becoming an accepted modern grading company but I hardly ever see any of their stuff. I take it their was some sort of fallout?

The fastest/easiest description of it.

http://www.auctionreport.com/?p=2031

Post thanked. That's unfortunate as I liked their slabs and most of them sold in the same vicinity as a BGS or PSA counterpart.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Fandruw25 said:
jonebone said:
I see... forgive my ignorance, but what are these refractor lines you speak of? Surface scratches that appear on the card that PSA would not be able to detect?

See the lines going through the top of his head, they shouldn't be there.

!C!v1KlgB2k~$(KGrHqUOKi0EzVqkbb)LBNEVJ1FFfg~~_12.jpg

Man, those CSA slabs are pretty ugly IMHO!

Another thing to consider along with the quality of the grading is the quality of the slab. From reading this forum over the past while it seems that PSA slabs might be easier to tamper with, while BGS slabs are the most secure in the hobby. I only own a couple of BGS graded cards and I have never tried to open a slab so I can't offer first-hand experience. Strictly talking about appearances, I like the uniformity of the PSA slabs... they agree with my OCD. I currently go with BGS for the cheap price offered via the FCB group sub, and for the reputation of the more tamper-evident slab.

- Rod

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Here is the main "problem" i have with bgs

ok, lets say you submitted these cards yourself:

Yay, i got a nice Gold Label!
!CB!G-fg!2k~$(KGrHqMOKp!E0UqF(K,iBNF0Vfcr8g~~_12.jpg

Nice, i got a Silver Label!
!C!dPEngEWk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEzOtG!zvqBNDBMwGJCw~~_12.jpg

Wait, why am i being punished with a paper label?
!B9jeqNwEGk~$(KGrHqN,!hcEzd86rgwrBM6KvOeLig~~_12.jpg

Of course, only speaking for myself, i feel that the submitter is being punished by BGS for having submitted a card that is deemed to be of "lesser" grade.

with PSA and SGC (all other grading companies are garbage) you can line up their slabs and see a nice uniform looking row, no matter if the grade is 1, 3, 7 or 10.

i failed to mention the other fact that BGS has changed their flip (thats the name of the "label") a few times over the years, Sub-grades not on front, now on front. they even changed the size of the number that is on the flip, having it being tiny for a while (see below. wtf where they thinking on this one?) adding more havoc to us OCDers lol

Duncan2003BowmanChromeBGS9.jpg

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
bballcardkid said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
bballcardkid said:
Whatever happened to ***? There for a while they were making a strong run at becoming an accepted modern grading company but I hardly ever see any of their stuff. I take it their was some sort of fallout?

The fastest/easiest description of it.

http://www.auctionreport.com/?p=2031

Post thanked. That's unfortunate as I liked their slabs and most of them sold in the same vicinity as a BGS or PSA counterpart.

I remember seeing some at shows and once in awhile pop up at various places still. Something came to light about them possibly not really being up to par in one area but I don't even remember what it was. The "new" ***, if they are still around, have horrendous holder/flips IMO. Too generic looking for my tastes though I've never seen one in person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-JACK-PFEI ... 35af0a5580

Members online

Latest posts